VillaGoMarching

I don't disagree with much you've put there TartarguaJones.... but I would genuinely prefer Matt Lowton to Walker. 

Walker's got an amazing engine and a great heart, but he lacks a bit of intelligence, nouse, and attacking quality. The thing is though, he's only just turned 23, and now under a decent coach so there's time to develop those aspects of his game. Haven't seen or heard enough about Lowton to form an opinion on him. As I understand it Guzman was your best player, Vlaar also had a decent season, and Benteke was a beast. Weimann was also good. So that's almost half the team having very good seasons. Considering the team did very poorly last year over all, there must be at least some players who did shit?

Personally I'd rank Walker slightly higher than Lowton, based on the fact I've only seen Lowton work his magic for one season. If Lowton continues as he did last time round, which I'm sure he will, then I'd put him up as the best English right back.

Either way I think it's amazing that they both came through the Sheffield United academy, they must have a cracking coach in terms of full-backs, even found myself watching their latest right back prospect the other day just to see if he looked as good as those previously mentioned!

Redknapp was more or less a 4-4-2 man just like MON so struggled to fit VDV effectively, often playing him out wide when he's best just off a forward in a 4-4-1-1. I think he'd have done very well under AVB but then Bale wouldn't have the free role.

I don't disagree with much you've put there TartarguaJones.... but I would genuinely prefer Matt Lowton to Walker. 

Walker's got an amazing engine and a great heart, but he lacks a bit of intelligence, nouse, and attacking quality. The thing is though, he's only just turned 23, and now under a decent coach so there's time to develop those aspects of his game. Haven't seen or heard enough about Lowton to form an opinion on him. As I understand it Guzman was your best player, Vlaar also had a decent season, and Benteke was a beast. Weimann was also good. So that's almost half the team having very good seasons. Considering the team did very poorly last year over all, there must be at least some players who did shit?

His name's not Guzman!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry, but so many people do that. It's annoying :D)

• Like 1

Also, I'm not sure I like the assumption that appears to be being made there.

Guzan, Vlaar, Weimann and Benteke had good seasons, but we didn't do too well, so Lowton must have had a shit season?

Guzan, Vlaar, Weimann and Benteke had good seasons, but we didn't do too well, so Lowton must have had a shit season?

At least one of own fans used that exact argument to try and prove Westwood was "awful" last season. :)

Not sure that's the assumption... it was a strange characteristic of last season though that so many players had decent (Baker, Delph, Sylla), good (Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Agbonlahor) or excellent (Guzan, Benteke) seasons and yet the team was largely poor.

We just lacked balance and couldn't defend as a unit. I think we also struggled mentally early on. Definitely reasons to be optimistic that some of these issues will have been ironed out by now. Still worried about the defence a bit... 

Not sure that's the assumption... it was a strange characteristic of last season though that so many players had decent (Baker, Delph, Sylla), good (Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Agbonlahor) or excellent (Guzan, Benteke) seasons and yet the team was largely poor.

We just lacked balance and couldn't defend as a unit. I think we also struggled mentally early on. Definitely reasons to be optimistic that some of these issues will have been ironed out by now. Still worried about the defence a bit...

I just think it's comparative. I didn't think vlaar had that good of a year but compared to the other cbs he was good. And Weimann was good yes but I don't think he was stellar or anything and if he was a 29 year old giving the same performances it would've probably been called average.

Also taratuga, a lot of the players who we say had a good season we say it cause of the second half, for instance Westwood didn't even debut till November I think

It immediately strikes me just how defensive your team is, compared to the free flowing team of a few years back.

I know what you mean, but there's a few of us on a Spurs forum who've been arguing for the last year or so, that with the way AVB likes his teams to play it's a bit artificial to think as defense as totally distinct from attack. Basically AVB wants to play as much football in the opposition half as he can, he's also a strong focus on transitions - when possession changes hand - where they happen, and lightning counter attacks. Basically he think that the higher up the pitch you can win possession, and the more often you can win it back, the more goals you will score and the fewer you'll concede. This is why he's prepared to risk the odd goal conceded in return for the benefits of playing a high-line.

I remember a match we played against you a couple of seasons back, a quite dreadful performance by your lot, in which you couldn't get the ball out of your half. Our CBs played the game on the half-way line, and the entire match was basically played in your half. That's the kind of thing AVB's aiming for.

So with Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele, and Parker he has four CMs of various attributes, but who all share a high work-rate, mobility, and an eye for a tackle. He'll be hoping that with that midfield teams will have the life squeezed out of them, we'll be winning the ball up the pitch and with regularity and that with the power of Bale, the dynamic play of Chadli/Lennon, and the goal-scoring quality of Soldado we'll be primed to exploit that advantage. It's worth noting that in Bale and Soldado you've got the potential for 60 goals a season. Paulinho is also no slouch, a player in the Lampard mode, though much better of the ball. 

Why did Van der Vaart leave? Thought he was class for Spurs.

Problems with his missus, and an affection for his former club. It's worth noting that the transfer was amicable, he asked if he could go, Hamburg paid a price we were looking for, and we said yes. Certainly wasn't to do with CL or lack of ambition from Spurs, as he was transferring to a club which had finished just above the relegation zone and who were in big financial difficulties (in fact the owner had to step in the with the readies to buy VDV). He was a big miss for us last season though, and I'm not sure I'd have let him go. the feeling was that he maybe wasn't a AVB type player though.

Why did Van der Vaart leave? Thought he was class for Spurs.

I guess failure of getting into top 4 coupled with him being on high wages

his wife was a big star in Germany and had a career over there thats why he moved. then when got there he battered her the word removed

Â