Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

No Fun House, no Crystal Maze, no Knightmare, no Catch Phrase, no Blockbusters.

There's still Family Fortunes - though now you need to be famous to go on it. And The Cube is alright. Good old Blockbusters though. When I'm asked if I'd like tea or coffee, I often respond with "I'll have a T please Bob". Old habits.

People on game shows who have to give a whole back story to why they think an answer is wrong / correct.

Agree.

Eggheads is the worst, so forced. They're obviously asked to explain their thought process, but when they don't have a thought process is cringeworthy.

People on game shows who have to give a whole back story to why they think an answer is wrong / correct.

Agree.

Eggheads is the worst, so forced. They're obviously asked to explain their thought process, but when they don't have a thought process is cringeworthy.

Absolutely. It's a time-waster.

"Who is the current prime Minister?"

"Hmmm, I think I know this one. I don't think it's Gordon Brown, because he was the last one. I'm pretty sure it's a Tory, and I'm torn between David Cameron and John Major. But I'm fairly confident it's David Cameron. Hmmmm. Yes. Yes, David Cameron".

"Well worked out, you got there in the end"

FFS.

WWTBAM is even worse.

Exactly, Mike.

Sometimes it's fine, when they don't know an answer and they're explainign why they're guessing.

But when you just know an answer

"The answer is David Cameron. Because it just uis. That's the answer. I don't have any thought process, I just know that is the answer, because it is a fact"

People who use "??" or "!!" as some sort of implied emphasis to their question/point rather than "?!".
I think "????", "!!!!" and "?!?!" (etc.) all have subtly different levels of emphasis and implication, as does the number of "!" and "?" characters used. Hard to define, but I know it when I see it (or use it).

I can get on board with that, if it's particularly emphatic then multiple ?/!'s are par for the course. Just two is ridiculous though, plus to make matters worse it's a practice usually employed by people who like to end every single sentence in such a manner which irks me just as much.

employed by people who like to end every single sentence in such a manner which irks me just as much.

Oh hell yes. I work with someone who ends every sentence with an exclamation point. So if he actually wants to exclame something, he must use many of them. If he ever terminates a sentence with anything else then I'll presume it wasn't worth reading and will ignore it.

But that brings me on to general e-mail manners. People who simply can not have possibly read their e-mails back to themselves after writing them, from the point of view of the reader. When the wording is so bloody rude or comes off as ill-tempered. I also work with someone else who can start a fight because they don't pay enough care and attention to what they write in an e-mail. People type as fast as their fingers can keep up with what they're thinking, and sometimes they miss out words that are more important in written text than they might be in spoken word. This can either make e-mails ambiguous, slightly rude or downright ignorant. But it's quite tricky to delicately tell this person (who might be on your side of an argument and is higher up the ladder than you are) that they're making a balls of the situation out of sheer laziness on their part.

Now look what you've done. Rant over :)

My boss does the exclamation point thing. It is incredibly annoying. He also can't spell very well.

On his days off he leaves behind a sheet of paper with the things he wants done and they're always completely in caps, with no punctuation other than exclamation marks, poorly spelled and leave all the shit jobs to whoever is on that day. It's also usually written in really broken English.

Speaking of my boss, the most annoying thing he does is talk to you in a mumble barely audible over the music in the shop at all, and regularly will also be walking away from you when he does it. Regularly he'll do something like this

points at pile of stock

'Can you take those upstairs and sort mumblemumblemumblemumble....'

as he walks away.

So then you have to go 'What did you want doing with these mate?' which immediately makes you feel like a prick and bad employee because it makes it seem like you weren't listening. The other day, to my ears, he just quickly turned to me and went 'Can ya mumblemumblemumble...'. I hadn't got a sodding clue what he wanted. Turned out he wanted the track skipped on the stereo system.

Drives me mad.

Can you not; at an opportune time; point out to him in a nice way that he has a tendency to mumble or talk while walking away and that it can be quite hard to hear what he wants doing at times? Or is he a bit of a knob who wouldn't take it very well?

A few of us have hinted at it, I've even once just straight up told him I can't hear a word he's saying sometimes. A couple of the guys have been there for a few years under him and apparently it's just what he's like and people have mentioned it before a lot and he just carries on. He speaks quickly and mumbles, thats just what he's like.

He's a nice bloke so it's not like he gets mardy over it being pointed out, but he doesn't change. For a while it crossed my mind that he'd maybe got like mild 'social' issue, like very mild Aspergers or something.

The ending every sentence with an exclamation mark is indeed very annoying! I think it is the written equivalent of the "Australian rising inflection" used in speech!

I was like "hello"? And she was like "hello"?

Â