Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I am genuinely staggered someone would not have known what was meant by 'British'.

It seems i'm not the only one either.. Maybe if I took a general interest in Geography i'd be more aware about it.. but I've never thought of it like that really, throughout my life so far I've gone through it thinking what I thought was right .. which obviously after a bit of research is wrong.

Oh don't worry, you are. :winkold:

Fran says otherwise :lol:

Chindie - Yeah I agree it's not "just" geography, it also apparently comes down to common knowledge but i've never really taken an interest in it.

Not knowing simple things like the "British" scenario.. I honestly should've paid attention during my education years.

I'm lost.

Can you explain the background? I'm reading this, then Chindies post's and thinking what?

It went from wrestling to this...and I feel stupid.

Said poster lightly mocked someone for reeling off a list of British managers that included David Moyes. It becomes clear poster doesn't actually know what constitutes Britain, and who is 'British', claiming that the Scots aren't British.

That could be a fairly academic argument on the nature of national identity and what not of course but no it actually conspires that he just doesn't know what Britain is and who is usually considered British.

Much hilarity was had.

Something like that anyway ;).

EDIT: for clarity.

Ahh I see.

Well, I have this everyday.

"Where did you go to University?"

"Wales."

"Is that north of England?"

"No it's Wales, the country, part of Britain."

"Wales is a country?"

*Wishing to glass said American in the face.*

I know what Britain is.. I just wasn't clear on the definition of "British"
But if you know what Britain is, then the definition of "British" is obvious, isn't it? From/born in Britain.

I think there's a little more wriggle room on the definition of British than the definition of Britain.

You could be born in Britain, of two Dutch parents that were working here or visiting, you are not necessarily going to consider yourself British. Saying that, if it turns out you were good at footy a few years later, welcome home!

Sales people who continue try it on after you give them the brush off and then get offended when you assertively (alright, slightly aggressively :)) restate your position.

If you don't like it, don't **** try it on.

Ahh I see.

"Wales."

"Wales is a country?"

Actually, Wales isn't a country, so you should have smashed that glass in your own face!

Ahh I see.

"Wales."

"Wales is a country?"

Actually, Wales isn't a country, so you should have smashed that glass in your own face!

Wales.com"]

11. Is Wales a Country or a Principality?

Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in it's own right.

We have a long history that goes from the old welsh kingdoms and the middle ages. We have had a 'Prince of Wales' from 1301, when Edward I created the title. The title is given to the eldest son of each English monarch.

Our Prince of Wales at the moment is Prince Charles, who is the present heir to the throne. But he does not have a role in the governance of Wales, even though his title might suggest that he does.

On 18 September 1997, we voted in favour of devolution in Wales. Before that, we were run entirely by the UK government in London. We were then given the powers we need to make secondary laws that affect us by an act called the Government of Wales Act 1998.

In 2006, we expanded on this act and have gained more powers for our country with the Government of Wales Act 2006. Our government's document 'One Wales' refers to us as a country or nation in it's own right.

I thought technically the country was United Kingdom, and England, Wales etc were technically principalities?

That's what we were always taught in geography anyway

Â