Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Oasis and Blur were a bit like another late 90s favourite, the N64.

Brilliant at the time, but have aged terribly to the point where no one, not even their own fans, play them anymore.

Infact, very little from the 90s has stood the test of time.

Edited by Shillzz

Brilliant at the time, but have aged terribly to the point where no one, not even their own fans, play them anymore.

My hair will testify to that. :(  :P

• Like 1

The Fiver's (Guardian) take on the Space Monkey Issue:

24 HOURS

If only they'd appointed 'Arry; words on the nation's collective lips at all times, but especially today. Would that he had only been in the England dressing room on Tuesday night to offer his nuanced "run around a bit" tactical guidance. Instead, Mr Roy, who can read and everything, used the benefit of his vast intellect to determine that a convoluted analogy, containing within it a popular and historical racial slur, was the most effective way of telling Chris Smalling to pass Andros Townsend the ball. More effective than "Oi, Chris! Pass Andros the ball! By the way, I'm reading John Williams at the moment!"

Curiously, Hodgson then approached Townsend "straight away" to dispense a quick "no offence", but clearly one of his players remained offended, deciding to pass details of the incident to a newspaper, evidently not sufficiently at ease to raise it himself. There followed an ignorance of largely white men espousing what should and shouldn't be deemed offensive by those who have suffered a long, painful discrimination. Most pertinently, sociology's Wayne Rooney was on hand to inform everyone that he'd seen the story on "Roy" and that "this is ridiculous". Though it is, of course, possible, that he was simply taking the opportunity to brag about being on first-name terms with the manager.

Subsequently, Townsend was forced to endure questions on the subject, by now known as "space monkey joke" – or "legitimate space tale" if you ask Stan Collymore, expert in legitimacy, space and tales. Townsend, of course, handled himself with dignity, and explained that there was no issue whatsoever – though in the past, plenty of people in his position have felt obliged to assert ambivalence, for fear of offending those with the power to affect their lives.

Meanwhile, Mr Roy – "a man of the highest integrity" according to a statement issued by the FA – apologised once more, mortified by the suggestion that he could possibly have offended in such a way. The "very self-critical" Luis Suárez was unavailable for comment.

Jon, on 21 Oct 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

It was cleary a brainless thing for Mr Roy to say. I don't think he's a racist, although I don't know him. But it shows he's a but stupid if he's telling a guy to pass the ball to a black player with the instructions to 'feed the monkey'.

Stupid/brainless. Think before you speak, Mr Roy.

Funny enough that was (pretty much) exactly what I said   .... presumably you'll have a couple of posters jumping up and down on your post in a short while   ... oh wait

Only just read up on the Roy Hogson stuff.

I am completely oblivious to how that joke could be construed as racist. It's about a space monkey, that's reasonably clear no?

Do not get. I get the racial slur "monkey" I'm just not seeing it in this context? What am I missing?

I thought he'd said The joke and told Smalling the monkey is Townsend and to feed the monkey ?

Now I doubt it was meant with racist intent but **** me Woy that was pretty damn stupid

If there was no racist intent then why is it stupid???

It's ok for everyone to take the p**s out of roys speech impedement tho, yeah wade in and say what u like.

Let me see now

Changing room with black players in - check

Joke with racist term for black people - check

What could possibly go wrong

So no one can tell a joke containing the word monkey around a black person??

Who's stupid?

RimmyJimmer, on 21 Oct 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 20 Oct 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

RimmyJimmer, on 20 Oct 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 20 Oct 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

dont_do_it_doug., on 20 Oct 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Only just read up on the Roy Hogson stuff.

I am completely oblivious to how that joke could be construed as racist. It's about a space monkey, that's reasonably clear no?

Do not get. I get the racial slur "monkey" I'm just not seeing it in this context? What am I missing?

I thought he'd said The joke and told Smalling the monkey is Townsend and to feed the monkey ?

Now I doubt it was meant with racist intent but **** me Woy that was pretty damn stupid

If there was no racist intent then why is it stupid???

It's ok for everyone to take the p**s out of roys speech impedement tho, yeah wade in and say what u like.

Let me see now

Changing room with black players in - check

Joke with racist term for black people - check

What could possibly go wrong

So no one can tell a joke containing the word monkey around a black person??

Who's stupid?

I think you've answered your own question  :)

• Like 1

Lets get this right, saying the word monkey in front of a black man could be interpreted as racist even if there's no racist intent?

Yes, that is correct. Although we really don't know on the intent side, in this instance. It's also not 'in front of'. It's 'directly to'.

Try this sentence:

"Saying the word monkey directly to a black man could be interpreted as racist", or even "Directly referring to a black man as a monkey could be interpreted as racist". That is what happened.

"Give it to the Monkey" (with Andros Townsend therefore being equated with a Monkey) could be interpreted as racist.

• Like 1

Shows just how poor the British media are doesn't it. Making a storm out of this off the back of the Wilshere "the England national side should only be for Englsih players" shock.

The ONLY way this story could get out would be if someone within the dressing room at half time leaked it. The press (all of them) then picked it up and ran with it. Can't see a problem.

Shows just how poor the British media are doesn't it. Making a storm out of this off the back of the Wilshere "the England national side should only be for Englsih players" shock.

Al Malcolm X said

"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

• Like 1

Al Malcolm X said

"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

What have the press done 'wrong' in this instance Ian?

!!!!! N64 is a classic, I still play it today!

Shocked at you Mr Shillzz!

Morrissey-Autobiography.jpg

OK, everybody knows I can't stand the guy, but I guess he's as entitled to put out a crappy cash-in book for his fawning fans as the next irritating celeb.

But... Penguin Classics?  REALLY???

Morrissey-Autobiography.jpg

OK, everybody knows I can't stand the guy, but I guess he's as entitled to put out a crappy cash-in book for his fawning fans as the next irritating celeb.

But... Penguin Classics? REALLY???

What difference does it make?

• Like 2

Â