Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The adverts on Prime is possibly the most irritating part. More so than the money.

Half the reason you pay for streaming platforms is the lack of adverts. The entire point is they make money from subscriptions so don't have to advertise. That's why platforms like All 4 and ITVX do have adverts, because they need to be funded somehow. And with both of those if you pay for the premium version guess what... they take away the adverts.

Also, I've noticed they are charging extra for more films and series, on top of the regular subscription. Now I can understand it for current movies that are also showing in cinemas, but it used to be that, after a year or so, they'd go into the regular subscription catalogue. But now? True Detective S1 - ten years old, pay extra. Twin Peaks - 34 years old, FFS! - pay extra. Taking the piss. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Also, I've noticed they are charging extra for more films and series, on top of the regular subscription. Now I can understand it for current movies that are also showing in cinemas, but it used to be that, after a year or so, they'd go into the regular subscription catalogue. But now? True Detective S1 - ten years old, pay extra. Twin Peaks - 34 years old, FFS! - pay extra. Taking the piss. 

Owner is worth $150 billion but they want a few more pounds off all the little people. Pisses me off (I know I should vote with my wallet).

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. I had a massive "to watch" list on Prime that I did a while ago and forgot about.

I went through it the other day and I reckon 80% of the stuff on there I now have to pay extra for if I want to watch it

Streaming services in general are getting annoying. There's so many of them.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Streaming services in general are getting annoying. There's so many of them.

I have Amazon Prime, BFI and Netflix. I ain't buying any more, even though there are loads of things I'd like to watch on Disney, Paramount, Apple, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have Amazon Prime, BFI and Netflix. I ain't buying any more, even though there are loads of things I'd like to watch on Disney, Paramount, Apple, etc. 

Yeah basically the same. 

I have Netflix and Amazon for me, and Disney+ because of my son, for obvious reasons.

On top of Sky, I'm not paying for anything else

The 2010s will be the golden era of streaming, I think, it's a gradual regression to all the bad shit about broadcast TV, except without the schedule. Constant ads, fragmented platforms, extortionate pricing. 

The more they gouge, the less of a problem I have with pirating when I'd barely bothered for a decade.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They don't charge because they want people to use it. They want to encourage traffic away from the drop off car park, hence why that's so expensive

It's not actually expensive, comparatively, I'd say it was pretty standard for a regional airport. Bham Airport is miles behind the curve on car park charging. This system has been in place in Manchester and Liverpool for the best part of a decade now

Experience also tells me that the bottom line has nothing to do with congestion and is all to do with profit. Not sure if this is true now but pre-pandemic it certainly was... Liverpool airport's car parks bring in an amount of money that is roughly equal to Peel Holdings yearly profit on the venture. That's the model now, airports are a loss leader for car parking

On the car parking thing (which is obviously emotive and it's not as a counterpoint to anyone's anecdotal stories), it just reminded me of a rather memorable moment from my now deceased friend's existance from a few years ago in our small town.

So fairly well known as a mechanic and it's obviously a small pond here in rural Wales but everyone knew at the time this young man was able bodied. He was once seen using a disabled parking badge and quickly he was receiving dogs abuse from someone in the street for parking on a double yellow and using a disabled badge. Before he got the chance to reply much his new girlfriend appeared from the shops with her lovely daughter, who happened to have down syndrome, in tow and started to get in the car.

Someone learned a humbling lesson that day about not jumping to conclusions or acting on false assumptions.

The thing to do with people parking in the parent and child spaces is to wait until they get back to the car and pretend to phone the police about a child abduction.  This old guy I worked with who was facilities manager at a shopping centre said it worked quite well and got the message across.

Also, on car parking, two adults going to the gym next to my daughter’s swimming place parked in a child & parent space. I wish I had some pen and paper to write a witty note, something like “just because you drive like a child and have a child’s car, doesn’t mean you can park here”… The car is some ugly, tiny turquoise box.

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's not actually expensive, comparatively, I'd say it was pretty standard for a regional airport. Bham Airport is miles behind the curve on car park charging. This system has been in place in Manchester and Liverpool for the best part of a decade now

Experience also tells me that the bottom line has nothing to do with congestion and is all to do with profit. Not sure if this is true now but pre-pandemic it certainly was... Liverpool airport's car parks bring in an amount of money that is roughly equal to Peel Holdings yearly profit on the venture. That's the model now, airports are a loss leader for car parking

I'm sure profit is a motivator for other car parks there, and at all airports.

But before they changed all the layout and increased the charges at Birmingham, the traffic was chaos. I used to have to park there every day for work and there were occasions where I'd have to queue for over an hour just to get out of the car parks. And it all traced back to that drop off area.

That's why they've put the free drop off car park a short walk away and put prices up for  "premium" drop off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's some financial motivation there too. They could put the prices up to £50 and then nobody would use it. Or remove it all together. 
But primarily for that car park in particular it was just causing utter chaos

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

At my little ones swimming, the two parents of this one kid are so annoying. Their daughter is a good swimmer, and has been very strong ever since she joined the group about 2 months ago. EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. The parents loudly proclaim how shocked they are about how good she is. “Oh my god, I can’t believe how good she’s doing”. “Oh my god, I think she puts her head under the water too much” “wow, she’s so fast!”

Have you not seen your **** daughter before you cretins?!

This happened when I used to take my lad swimming. It wasn't a very big class and one week it was just him and one other kid. The other kid's mom (who was in the water with him, as I was with my lad) was quite obviously showing off. He was definitely better than my lad, and more advanced in general, so she was cycling through his "tricks". Throwing balls, saying certain things etc

I took no notice. But there was one part of the lesson where they have to grab the rail at the side and hold themselves up. Jack did it no bother but this woman's kid was shit at it. It was basically the only thing in the whole lesson that Jack was better at, but I could genuinely see her seething about it. her face literally dropped, she was so annoyed.

People are weird. Who cares?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

This happened when I used to take my lad swimming. It wasn't a very big class and one week it was just him and one other kid. The other kid's mom (who was in the water with him, as I was with my lad) was quite obviously showing off. He was definitely better than my lad, and more advanced in general, so she was cycling through his "tricks". Throwing balls, saying certain things etc

I took no notice. But there was one part of the lesson where they have to grab the rail at the side and hold themselves up. Jack did it no bother but this woman's kid was shit at it. It was basically the only thing in the whole lesson that Jack was better at, but I could genuinely see her seething about it. her face literally dropped, she was so annoyed.

People are weird. Who cares?

Yeah, it just seems unnecessary. They clearly know their kid is good, and if she does something that genuinely shocks them then great. But the constant, loud fawning for the whole of the viewing room to hear is so tiring. I don’t think there’s an element of this swimming class that my daughter is better than theirs at, as my daughters not the most physical 😂, but at least I feel safe in the knowledge that she’s not being brought up by a couple of baggies dipsticks (just overheard them talking about the boggies).

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's why they've put the free drop off car park a short walk away and put prices up for  "premium" drop off.

Yeah they did that in Manchester and Liverpool too, no-one uses those either. WHy don't people use them? becuase no one wants to get on a plane dripping wet with rain and no-one wants to walk half a mile with luggage before they even get inside the terminal building

They used congestion as an excuse in Manchester and  Liverpool too. In fact before they used the congestion excuse, they used the terrorism excuse and moved the pickup / drop off point away from the terminal but you used to get ten minutes free, then 5 mins free then they just started charging as soon as you went in, then they increased the prices whilst shortening the time increments for charging etc

In fact Manchester works a bit differently, that was what Liverpool did. Manchester have a free drop off area miles away (note not pickup - you have to get charged if you're picking someone up) which is serviced by a shuttle bus, no one ises it because its every 20 mins and takes over ten minutes to the furthest terminal, in effect every one pays the minimum £5 - its a goldmine

There was never any congestion at either airport apart from Manchester but only when the Pakistan flights came in or when they dug all the roads up to implement the new system to alleviate the non-existant congestion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The 2010s will be the golden era of streaming, I think, it's a gradual regression to all the bad shit about broadcast TV, except without the schedule. Constant ads, fragmented platforms, extortionate pricing. 

The more they gouge, the less of a problem I have with pirating when I'd barely bothered for a decade.

Agree. All the multiple platforms is doing, is push people to illegally stream. I don't want to pay for 9 different streaming platforms. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Owner is worth $150 billion but they want a few more pounds off all the little people. Pisses me off (I know I should vote with my wallet).

He gotta make that £150 billion and fund his space program somehow, like paying warehouse staff minimum wage, charging more and more for small businesses to sell on the Amazon Platform, excessive costs for fulfillment, warehousing, an of course what has already been mentioned, adverts on subscription services. 

We're just the paying minions. 

• Like 1

Â