Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On 21/06/2023 at 09:17, bickster said:

In the old house we did have a pair of partridges that occasionally slept on our roof for the night, they were Stadler and Waldorf

We had a couple of Crows that occasionally slept on our roof. 

They're dead now, the mother **** won't be trying that again. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

There are very few festivals (if any) that can rival what Glastonbury actually offers, the sheer range of things going on outstrips anything else

I'm not fan of festivals at all but Glastonbury is actually right out there on its own. Comparing it to other festivals is a bit like comparing Man CIty to Bootle FC and coming to the conclusion that they are just two football teams

You really don't see even half of what goes on at Glastonbury on the telly / radio coverage

You don't see any of the late night stuff, you rarely see any of the arts stuff, lots of stages aren't covered

There is stuff you can dislike about it aplenty but it isn't just another festival, it really is in a league of its own

you may be right , but its essentially frequented by twunts , so for me it very much goes on the its shit list 

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

There’s lots of things that are great, but they are quietly great. With Glasto it feels like the media coverage of it is trying to constantly demand you accept its greatness. 

thee is a mystery band playing there tonight on the pyramid stage apparently .. and somehow that's worthy of news 

its interesting for the people there maybe , but for the rest of us , who cares , it will only be some bland shite like the Foo Fighters anyway 

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

thee is a mystery band playing there tonight on the pyramid stage apparently .. and somehow that's worthy of news 

Well it kind of is, it's the Foo FIghters and they'll probably blow the Arctic Monkeys off stage, Alex turner will wish he stayed at home with Laryngitis :D 

• Like 1

One of our neighbours who has an actual real nickname “Johnny Powertools” is living up to it. 

He seems to have a petrol powered jet wash that’s insanely noisy. He’s been finding things to clean every afternoon this week.  

3 hours ago, Genie said:

There’s lots of things that are great, but they are quietly great. With Glasto it feels like the media coverage of it is trying to constantly demand you accept its greatness. 

Yeah, its definitely got the best PR of any festival. Never interested me at all. The thought of the toilet situation is enough to rule it out! 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

With less publicity, the family have just donated more land for affordable homes for local people.

That’s 52 family homes in the area now, all on land donated by the Eavis family.

I’ve never been, actually being in something that big is not for me, but I appreciate the scale and culture of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

you may be right , but its essentially frequented by twunts , so for me it very much goes on the its shit list 

I have been eight times and would happily go again should the ticket gods smile on me! If that, and my love of music, makes me a twunt then fair enough

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

With less publicity, the family have just donated more land for affordable homes for local people.

That’s 52 family homes in the area now, all on land donated by the Eavis family.

I’ve never been, actually being in something that big is not for me, but I appreciate the scale and culture of it.

They also give millions of pounds every year to charity. They can afford it but so can many other events who don't bother doing that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s self perpetuating, I really don’t think the Glasto PR machine is actually that big, they don’t need it.

You won’t find many more people more cynical than me about over hyped things, especially when it comes music, hell I'm notorious for it but Glastonbury is THE musical event of any year in the UK music scene. You can shove all your award ceremonies up your arse in a matchbox, they mean nothing. Glastonbury shifts units more than anything, it really is the  true reflection of the current state of music. 

And the best thing about all that is that the music biz doesn’t control it and it never will

What other festival would a band the size of the Foo Fighters agree to play as an unannounced secret band, third on the bill on the main stage on the first day

I used to be very cynical about it but in the last few years I’ve come to appreciate it for what it is. I look forward to watching it on the telly, even some of the bands I don’t like, I discover bands through it, I buy albums because of stuff I've seen there, last year I went out and bought a Khruangbin album the very next day

I just thing it’s become this thing and it can’t stop being that thing, no one else can do what Glastonbury does and it really doesn’t have to try too hard these days yet it keeps on delivering.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s self perpetuating, I really don’t think the Glasto PR machine is actually that big, they don’t need it.

You won’t find many more people more cynical than me about over hyped things, especially when it comes music, hell I'm notorious for it but Glastonbury is THE musical event of any year in the UK music scene. You can shove all your award ceremonies up your arse in a matchbox, they mean nothing. Glastonbury shifts units more than anything, it really is the  true reflection of the current state of music. 

And the best thing about all that is that the music biz doesn’t control it and it never will

What other festival would a band the size of the Foo Fighters agree to play as an unannounced secret band, third on the bill on the main stage on the first day

I used to be very cynical about it but in the last few years I’ve come to appreciate it for what it is. I look forward to watching it on the telly, even some of the bands I don’t like, I discover bands through it, I buy albums because of stuff I've seen there, last year I went out and bought a Khruangbin album the very next day

I just thing it’s become this thing and it can’t stop being that thing, no one else can do what Glastonbury does and it really doesn’t have to try too hard these days yet it keeps on delivering.

You still have to shit in a portacabin though - and for that reason, I'm out :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

You still have to shit in a portacabin though - and for that reason, I'm out :)

This person is doing it right though (taken at this weekends festival).

0_Glasto-bed-wide.jpg

Â