Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

If you want to be a word removed about it, there are ways of dragging it out if their paperwork isn't up to scratch. And technically they can't get you out without a court order - the Section 21 notice that they should have submitted to you is merely a notice that they will start court proceedings to remove you if you are not gone on that date. These take months.
If the landlord has actually sold the property then I don't think you can "be a word removed" about it at all. Your contract is with someone who no longer owns the property, not to mention the contract has expired. There's having no leg to stand on and then there's this.

As I understand it the house would have been sold with sitting tenants and the new owners take over the existing tenancy. You still can't be removed without a court order, though it would be harsh on the new owners to refuse to move as it ain't their fault. It's one of the risks of buying a place with tenants in situ though and is why buying such a place is accordingly cheaper than buying with vacant possession.

Been a lovely day today... which I have witnessed from meeting rooms in Canary Wharf or on trains. Spent the grand total of about 10 mins outside today :-(

What is your job?

Nothing exciting, I just work for a bank.

Our 6th month rental contract on our house expires in a few weeks. The agent has sent us a letter informing that they are happy to extend for another 6 months and we need to pay £30 plus VAT to renew.

I have no knowledge of rental law but that seems incredibly crooked to me. What is the £36 for? We pay them good money in rent, why the hell should we give them another £36 every 6 months? The letter doesn't say what the money is actually for, just that we need to pay them and once we have only then will the renew the contract.

We'd be happy to sign a 12 month contract too, but they've not offered us that, is there anything we can do about that?

Our 6th month rental contract on our house expires in a few weeks. The agent has sent us a letter informing that they are happy to extend for another 6 months and we need to pay £30 plus VAT to renew.

I have no knowledge of rental law but that seems incredibly crooked to me. What is the £36 for? We pay them good money in rent, why the hell should we give them another £36 every 6 months? The letter doesn't say what the money is actually for, just that we need to pay them and once we have only then will the renew the contract.

We'd be happy to sign a 12 month contract too, but they've not offered us that, is there anything we can do about that?

It's a fee for printing off a few pieces of paper and posting it to you. It's ridiculous but they can charge what they want as letting agents are completely unregulated. I've heard of them charging 150 quid before. However you don't necessarily need to pay it. If you do nothing, just continue paying your rent as normal, you will go onto what is known as a periodic tenancy. In essence you are on a monthly contract. If the landlord wants you out they have to give you two months clear notice, coinciding with the rent due date. If you want out, you need to give one months fear notice, coinciding with a rental date (ie if your rent is due on the first of the month, and the landlord serves you notice on the 15th June, you leave two months after the next due date, ie: 1st September in this case.

You need sign nothing to go onto a statutory periodic tenancy - it is automatic. Just lay your rent as normal. The letting agent may May try to con you by saying something like 'we don't do periodic tenancies'. However it is not their choice, it is the law. Agents don't like it because these arbitrary fees they charge are a nice little earer for doing **** all.

Of course the problem with this is the landlord can serve two months notice at any time. It might be worth paying that fee if you get a 12 month contract out of them if that's what you want.

The Shelter website has some useful info.

I was at my aunty's earlier and her neighbour had come in for a few minutes to see how my uncle was doing after his shoulder operation and she said she had to go because she had a friend coming over to watch the Manchester United game.

It was then that one of my cousins' children who's about 8 said out loud "I Support Manchester United!... oh no, I mean Manchester City!"

I despair, I really do...

My little brother has decided to support Aston Villa, with barely any input from me at all.

I don't know whether to congratulate him or tell him to get out while he still can.

I'm calling social services.

Liv Tyler Pantene Pro-V adverts.

It's a piss-take, right? There is no way they are supposed to be serious.

I was saying to my friends the other day when this advert came on about how much funnier it would have been if it had been Steve Tyler. Or maybe both of them could be in it, a father-daughter haircare advert.

On all the flats i've rented it's always been £90 every 6months.

You're quite lucky with £36!

It's a fee for printing off a few pieces of paper and posting it to you. It's ridiculous but they can charge what they want as letting agents are completely unregulated. I've heard of them charging 150 quid before. However you don't necessarily need to pay it. If you do nothing, just continue paying your rent as normal, you will go onto what is known as a periodic tenancy. In essence you are on a monthly contract. If the landlord wants you out they have to give you two months clear notice, coinciding with the rent due date. If you want out, you need to give one months fear notice, coinciding with a rental date (ie if your rent is due on the first of the month, and the landlord serves you notice on the 15th June, you leave two months after the next due date, ie: 1st September in this case.

You need sign nothing to go onto a statutory periodic tenancy - it is automatic. Just lay your rent as normal. The letting agent may May try to con you by saying something like 'we don't do periodic tenancies'. However it is not their choice, it is the law. Agents don't like it because these arbitrary fees they charge are a nice little earer for doing **** all.

Of course the problem with this is the landlord can serve two months notice at any time. It might be worth paying that fee if you get a 12 month contract out of them if that's what you want.

What Blunther said. I did that last year, when the letting agent tried to bump it up to £60 a year for a contract renewal. I simply printed and signed a letter stating our intentions to move onto a rolling periodic tenancy, as we did not require any change to the terms of our tenancy contract thus foregoing costs. There's sweet **** all your letting agent can do about it, so don't let them try and bullshit their way into reaming you for more money.

If you can get hold of the landlord directly, it might be worth letting them know as a gesture of good faith, as a) it always pays to be in the landlord's good books and B) letting agencies often charge the landlord as much as £100+ for yearly renewal of tenancies, so you'll actually be saving them money too if you clue them in. Win-win, for all intents and purposes. Just be aware that the landlord can subsequently serve you with only 2 months notice to vacate, but concurrently you now only have to serve them one month (usual when you want to buy a house or just move somewhere else, which is what we're doing now).

Seriously, just do the same thing. Tell them you're not paying as you're moving onto a periodic tenancy. Even if they try to pressure or stall you, even if the contract expires before you sign anything the tenancy agreement automatically becomes periodic. You don't have to do anything at all.

The ridiculous thing in your case is that the only reason you might want to pay the fee is if you want the long-term security of knowing you'll be in that place for the term of the tenancy, but if they're drawing up contracts that require renewal every 6 months anyway, then it's only an extra 4 months on top if the notice they'd serve you if went onto a periodic tenancy.

Letting fees for renewal of tenancy agreements are the biggest scam going, and they are piss easy to avoid.

Seriously, just do the same thing. Tell them you're not paying as you're moving onto a periodic tenancy. Even if they try to pressure or stall you, even if the contract expires before you sign anything the tenancy agreement automatically becomes periodic. You don't have to do anything at all.

The ridiculous thing in your case is that the only reason you might want to pay the fee is if you want the long-term security of knowing you'll be in that place for the term of the tenancy, but if they're drawing up contracts that require renewal every 6 months anyway, then it's only an extra 4 months on top if the notice they'd serve you if went onto a periodic tenancy.

Letting fees for renewal of tenancy agreements are the biggest scam going, and they are piss easy to avoid.

This :)

maxwell house instant coffee. it tastes like ass. granted most instant coffee's aren't great, but maxwell house is a just poo. liquidy, putrid poo.
Troo, dat. Can't think why anybody would drink it.

Been a lovely day today... which I have witnessed from meeting rooms in Canary Wharf or on trains. Spent the grand total of about 10 mins outside today :-(

What is your job?

Nothing exciting, I just work for a bank.

Are you based there mate? I work in the Citi building (number 25).

and just to join in, I can occassionally be seen staring out of the windows at HSBC, usually up around flr 36 and sometimes / rarely up in the 40's

Haven't visited for some time now I think about it.

They had a full evacuation drill once when I was up around 40, it took 30 minutes to walk down and out of the building. Very sobering.

Well i never Trevor!

That is awesome, I really had no idea. I just assumed you HAD to pay the fees. Thanks for the info and I will definitely be using this one in the future :D:thumb:

Â