Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know the answer these days would be “the internet”, but before then I wouldn’t have a clue where one would locate a personalised license plate.

Would they be on sale in Auto Trader? Actually that’s one for “I have never…” thread. Never once I have picked up a copy of Auto Trader.

They used to be. I'm not sure Autotrader produce a physical copy any more? Back of car mags as well - Max Power, back in the day and the usual ones - Autocar, What Car, etc

There are a number of companies that sell them - one is local to me - https://britishcarregistrations.co.uk/ 

They just act as middlemen though as they have to buy it from DVLA. I'm not sure if DVLA sell them direct - think they do now. 

I actually had a job interview there about 20 years go... for a sales support job. I didn't get it and they said they didn't feel my personality (laid back) suited the 'dynamic' sales environment! Well, **** you British Car Registrations, look at me now! :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

They used to be. I'm not sure Autotrader produce a physical copy any more? Back of car mags as well - Max Power, back in the day and the usual ones - Autocar, What Car, etc

There are a number of companies that sell them - one is local to me - https://britishcarregistrations.co.uk/ 

They just act as middlemen though as they have to buy it from DVLA. I'm not sure if DVLA sell them direct - think they do now. 

I actually had a job interview there about 20 years go... for a sales support job. I didn't get it and they said they didn't feel my personality (laid back) suited the 'dynamic' sales environment! Well, **** you British Car Registrations, look at me now! :D 

I Cousin (girl) recently worked for them. She came from a sales background an really good at her job. But she ended up walking out. The owners, a husband and wife are like slave drivers from the 80s. Pop in now and again in the Bentley and Range rover, telling the staff how poor the week has been and needs to be better or else heads will roll. She said they are proper old skool, an the turn over of the 5 staff that work there changes every other month.

I deleted my Twitter account and Twitter app for the sake of my mental health. And I would highly recommend it.

However, I would like to be able to check Twitter occasionally when someone links to it, or when I know someone I like has Tweeted something interesting. But the new Twitter website automatically forces you to a Sign Up screen if you try to browse Twitter without an account.

**** words removed.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 21:16, mjmooney said:

Just made the mistake of wandering into the Gerrard thread. Unbelievable, Jeff. 

Changing the subject, did you know that the region of Colombia around Medellin has a problem with feral hippopotamuses due to Pablo Escobar importing them by plane from Africa?

And isn't Family Guy a great cartoon?

Edited by KentVillan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I deleted my Twitter account and Twitter app for the sake of my mental health. And I would highly recommend it.

However, I would like to be able to check Twitter occasionally when someone links to it, or when I know someone I like has Tweeted something interesting. But the new Twitter website automatically forces you to a Sign Up screen if you try to browse Twitter without an account.

**** words removed.

It's only a fairly recent 'feature' from Twitter. Last few months I think. 

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

**** words removed.

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's only a fairly recent 'feature' from Twitter. Last few months I think. 

I’m not on Twitter, never have been and have found a similar issue, typically when I move from viewing one account to another.

My way around it is when I’m viewing it on my phone, when it pops up asking you to log in/sign up, click either log in or sign up, the log in page comes up. Just click the “x” in the top corner to get rid of the log in page. 

For whatever reason it allows me to browse longer without asking me to join every thirty seconds.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not on Twitter, never have been and have found a similar issue, typically when I move from viewing one account to another.

My way around it is when I’m viewing it on my phone, when it pops up asking you to log in/sign up, click either log in or sign up, the log in page comes up. Just click the “x” in the top corner to get rid of the log in page. 

For whatever reason it allows me to browse longer without asking me to join every thirty seconds.

Previously you could avoid the window altogether by using an incognito browser, but they've 'fixed' this very recently.

Wouldn’t it be easy enough to set up a twitter account with a bot name, and not follow anyone, so you have easy access to the bits you want to look at without being plagued by stuff you don’t want?

Unless I’m particularly thick skinned, I don’t think I’ve ever had much to deal with on twitter that I haven’t wanted.

It’s what I’ve done on Facebook, I’ve set up a fake name account so I can use messenger and dip in to a couple of music accounts once in a blue moon. But it keeps me well clear of the facebook nonsense of family squabbles, nazi’s and anti vax hairdressers.

• Like 3

Mrs is organising a birthday party for our lads 7th. She thinks we need to keep up with the Joneses, so it's being planned like one of them sweet 16 Birthday parties they used to have on MTV, just to keep up with the local Rangerover driving housewives of Four Oaks.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Mrs is organising a birthday party for our lads 7th. She thinks we need to keep up with the Joneses, so it's being planned like one of them sweet 16 Birthday parties they used to have on MTV, just to keep up with the local Rangerover driving housewives of Four Oaks.

I'm spotting a theme here.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Wouldn’t it be easy enough to set up a twitter account with a bot name, and not follow anyone

That’s what I did*  @stgeorge4Inglund3876481🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧 (location Vladivostok) if anyone wants to follow me.

*not really, that’s my cousin Sergei

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've never been big on keeping up with the Joneses, but since i've got older, it just strikes me as utterly futile. I'm glad the material world doesn't appeal to me at all. There will always be someone richer than yow!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've never been big on keeping up with the Joneses, but since i've got older, it just strikes me as utterly futile. I'm glad the material world doesn't appeal to me at all. There will always be someone richer than yow!

I'm with you, an being that one of my lads best friends get dropped off at school in a Lambourghini Urus (their daily runner)  I think it is pretty futile. 🤣

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm with you, an being that one of my lads best friends get dropped off at school in a Lambourghini Urus (their daily runner)  I think it is pretty futile. 🤣

There’s always a bigger fish. Guy I work with has a massive house in Oxford, swimming pool the lot. Kids at private school but then says he gets embarrassed when there’s an after school event and he only has a brand new LR Discovery to rock up in. 

• Like 1

Â