Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I know what you mean. That song gets on my tits as well. But never sneer at other peoples' "meaningful things", they're entitled to them, even if it's for reasons we cannot appreciate.

I'm surprised you say that :)

If you refer to religion, people are entitled to believe what they like. Unfortunately - unlike a predeliction for old Elvis songs and other harmless comfort blankets - religious beliefs have a habit of infesting the secular world in ways that I find offensive and at times dangerous.

No no no - you're a bit of a snob when it comes to music ;) or at least that's what I've always thought.

Nah. Same deal. People should just enjoy what they enjoy. As long as I don't have to listen to their choices.

American friend asked if his sisters could stay in my apartment while they are in Ireland during March. I told his that I was going to have an operation in March and would be away from my apartment for pretty much the whole month. Facebook message today from his sister saying how much they appreciate me letting them stay, how they'll be arriving in the middle of march and staying for a week. They're very excited.
I can see how that happened though.

They interpreted you saying you'd be away all month as "the apartment is therefore available" rather than the reverse.

Men of the world need to nip this male-male present buying in the bud quick or we could begin on the slippery slope to monstrosities such as birthday blow jobs.

Agree.

The guy I share an office with talks about buying birthday presents for his friends all the time. He sounds like a girl.

Buy your friend a couple of beers, but that's as far as it needs to go.

Mates don't usually get birthday gifts for each other unless they are ghey, do they?

this

though buying them a pint and saying happy birthday you old tosser (or suitable friendly insult) is perfectly acceptable

I got a Monaco top from a mate. I'm cool with that.

Did he wrap it in gift paper?

No.

Thats ok then.

but why a Monaco top?

Did he:

a) see it, think you'd like it, buy it, no further thought process, or

B) love the colours, like the cut, appreciate the material and picture you in said top and speedos, insist you try it on there and then?

because when I did B) my mate got all unnecessary

American friend asked if his sisters could stay in my apartment while they are in Ireland during March. I told his that I was going to have an operation in March and would be away from my apartment for pretty much the whole month. Facebook message today from his sister saying how much they appreciate me letting them stay, how they'll be arriving in the middle of march and staying for a week. They're very excited.
I can see how that happened though.

They interpreted you saying you'd be away all month as "the apartment is therefore available" rather than the reverse.

That's what I thought too Mike. I'm away, so the apartment is free to use.

No.

Thats ok then.

but why a Monaco top?

Did he:

B) love the colours, like the cut, appreciate the material and picture you in said top and speedos, insist you try it on there and then?

I'd like to think it was an unwanted present from his mum, was about to chuck it out when BOF was around, and just said on the offchance: "Hey Bri, you don't want this, do you? Here, you can have it for your birthday", and chucked it at him.

That's the way we men roll.

No.

Thats ok then.

but why a Monaco top?

Did he:

Haha. It was (relatively) obscure and I like obscure (though the cut is slightly different around the neck too ... :suspect: )

CI wrote:

Eames wrote:

10mins devoted to a dead war correspondent on BBC news feels a bit like self indulgent journalism. A very brave woman, and very sad, but 30% of the bulletin?

Sad she died, but I'm probably with you on this

It all seems a little self flagellating

Whereas they spent 10 seconds on a poor 2 year old whose life ebbed away on camera following shrapnel wounds

That's the press for you, though. Full of self-importance to the point of nausea.

Totally agree. They seem to me to try to come across like they care but I truly believe the more pain and blood the happier the press are. I always wondered about 11/09/01, would a journalist have stopped it even if they knew 24 hours beforehand ? The phone hacking shows the type of people they are but how far is too far for them do you think ?

I know what you mean. That song gets on my tits as well. But never sneer at other peoples' "meaningful things", they're entitled to them, even if it's for reasons we cannot appreciate.

I'm surprised you say that :)

If you refer to religion, people are entitled to believe what they like. Unfortunately - unlike a predeliction for old Elvis songs and other harmless comfort blankets - religious beliefs have a habit of infesting the secular world in ways that I find offensive and at times dangerous.

No no no - you're a bit of a snob when it comes to music ;) or at least that's what I've always thought.

Nah. Same deal. People should just enjoy what they enjoy. As long as I don't have to listen to their choices.

Fair enough.

As for these war reporters, if you go to the front line and get killed in collateral crossfire etc. then surely thats a risk they all accept ?

We dont need a third of the national news telling us about how heroic they were

As for these war reporters, if you go to the front line and get killed in collateral crossfire etc. then surely thats a risk they all accept ?

We dont need a third of the national news telling us about how heroic they were

This. Particularly when a dead soldier gets a mention at best.

So the reporter must accept the risk as part of the the job they chose to do, but the soldier shouldn't? They all chose their respective jobs and the risks associated.

Â