Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

I find it weird that people who do one approach are almost trying not to understand how the other approach works in an attempt to call it bizarre.

Things are not washed under a constant stream of water. That would be moronic and 'genuinely mental'. Some water is used at the start. Enough to wet the sponge and give them a small rinse. The water is then turned off while the sponge is used to properly clean everything until just suds are left behind. Then when all's done they are rinsed clean.

Also, I have country cousins who use the bowl method. They're not being washed in some foody soup of scum water. Similar to above, the tap is used to rinse at the end, and any heavy food is removed before they go near a bowl. The bowl just serves to preserve some amount of water, but ultimately it's the sponge and the rinse at the end that does it.

There's more than one non-mental way to skin a cat.

They are in this house. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm on the otherside. Why people wash things up in dirty water is to me hard to fathom.

If the water gets really dirty you empty and refill. otherwise you use the hot soapy water to clean the stuff in the sink and then rinse it in case there's any residue

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

Things are not washed under a constant stream of water. That would be moronic and 'genuinely mental'. Some water is used at the start. Enough to wet the sponge and give them a small rinse. The water is then turned off while the sponge is used to properly clean everything until just suds are left behind. Then when all's done they are rinsed clean.

But this seems like it would take ages to wash stuff. I don't really get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But this seems like it would take ages to wash stuff. I don't really get it.

We're back to volume. I only do it because our volume is so low.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If the water gets really dirty you empty and refill. otherwise you use the hot soapy water to clean the stuff in the sink and then rinse it in case there's any residue

Yeah mate. I'm aware how it works. I just think it's much more efficient and clean to use running water. Basically like how I would wash anything in the wild. 

Now obviously resource wise it's not a good option, but I live in one of the most water abundant places on earth, i.e. not China, so that's not a thing that affects my decision making. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Wait a minute. You can wash plates and cutlery without a dishwasher? What is this, like history or something? 

I have to admit I'm the type of person that buys 3 dishwashers. One for clean, one for dirty and one for use. But since I've got a touch of OCD I will always have to wash up the stuff there's no room for.  I just have to have a tidy kitchen before I sit down. 

Not to mention wooden spoons. What kind of neanderthal uses a washing machine for wooden items :D

Something not mentioned is that by using the sink type of wash you need to have extra space allocated on your kitchen top for this. Assuming you have a dishwasher that is, which most have these days. 

And since the square footage price or square meter if you're civilized, is absurd, it seems insane for me to have 10-20% of a kitchen allocated to something you don't actually need. If you have a big enough place, fair enough. 

Anyway, time to suit up. Merry christmas you old bastards. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Something not mentioned is that by using the sink type of wash you need to have extra space allocated on your kitchen top for this. Assuming you have a dishwasher that is, which most have these days. 

And since the square footage price or square meter if you're civilized, is absurd, it seems insane for me to have 10-20% of a kitchen allocated to something you don't actually need. If you have a big enough place, fair enough. 

Anyway, time to suit up. Merry christmas you old bastards. 

Do you hell, All fits on the draining section of the sink in a rack. Might seem like witchcraft but its rather space efficient, especially if you stack things correctly

237828546?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you hell, All fits on the draining section of the sink in a rack. Might seem like witchcraft but its rather space efficient, especially if you stack things correctly

237828546?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$

Yet that takes a lot of space and looks ugly as feck. If you pay £ 10 000 / m2, that's not where you want to be going. At least I don't. 

Our old kitchen was about the tiniest of spaces you could live with for a kitchen, like a galley kitchen on a boat. 

One of our main aims was for a big kitchen and a utility. 

We fitted out the utility last year which gave me the opportunity to get one of those taps with the pull out spray facility. 

When I worked at McDonalds I used to use an industrial version of this and really wanted one in the house. OK the home version is smaller and not as powerful but it's still brilliant. Just great for spraying dirty post and pans, roasting tins, frying pans etc.  A great piece of kit. 

Correct, working class British washing up method.

Bowl in sink.

2 tea towels to hand. One clean, one left from previous day's washing up. Advanced washers may place these over shoulders - clean ALWAYS on the right.

Fill bowl with warm water. Add washing up liquid mid way through filling so it froths a bit with no effort.

Glass cups first. Allow to soak briefly then wipe with a dishcloth - this cloth is ONLY used for glasses and cups/mugs. Rinse and place into washing up rack upside down. Complete all glasses and cups. Ring out dishcloth.

Place cutlery first and then plates into bowl to soak.

Rinse hands and dry with towel over left shoulder - yesterday's towel.

Dry glasses with 'new' towel (over right shoulder for pros). Inspect while washing for stubborn marks or chips, and deal with as required. Place in cupboard.

Using a sponge with scouring pad clean everything in bowl, placing each piece into respective drying rack areas.

Dry all items, beginning with cutlery. Inspect while doing so for stubborn marks. Place into respective drawers and cupboards.

Empty bowl. Place to side.

Refill sink to required level to clean cooking implements. Glass bowls etc should be washed first.

If cookware has particularly bad burnt bits stuck to it, leave to soak overnight.

Clean up spills etc with kitchen towel.

Chuck yesterday's towel in washing machine, which as this is a proper British kitchen is in within arm's reach of the sink. Place todays clean tea towel on towel rack for tomorrow's hand drying between washing stages.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Correct, working class British washing up method.

Bowl in sink.

2 tea towels to hand. One clean, one left from previous day's washing up. Advanced washers may place these over shoulders - clean ALWAYS on the right.

Fill bowl with warm water. Add washing up liquid mid way through filling so it froths a bit with no effort.

Glass cups first. Allow to soak briefly then wipe with a dishcloth - this cloth is ONLY used for glasses and cups/mugs. Rinse and place into washing up rack upside down. Complete all glasses and cups. Ring out dishcloth.

Place cutlery first and then plates into bowl to soak.

Rinse hands and dry with towel over left shoulder - yesterday's towel.

Dry glasses with 'new' towel (over right shoulder for pros). Inspect while washing for stubborn marks or chips, and deal with as required. Place in cupboard.

Using a sponge with scouring pad clean everything in bowl, placing each piece into respective drying rack areas.

Dry all items, beginning with cutlery. Inspect while doing so for stubborn marks. Place into respective drawers and cupboards.

Empty bowl. Place to side.

Refill sink to required level to clean cooking implements. Glass bowls etc should be washed first.

If cookware has particularly bad burnt bits stuck to it, leave to soak overnight.

Clean up spills etc with kitchen towel.

Chuck yesterday's towel in washing machine, which as this is a proper British kitchen is in within arm's reach of the sink. Place todays clean tea towel on towel rack for tomorrow's hand drying between washing stages.

Can't fault it. Pass with distinction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Plates for a sandwich , well look at you all lardy dardy and posh 

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

― Oscar Wilde

Â