Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I've read it. Unfortunately I read it after I signed up to the new deal from Sky. As it ties me in for 12 months I'm a bit limited.

Which is why I'll use the fact that they're not giving me what I paid for as a reason to leave

There will be a cooling off period won't there so you could cancel? Or is that just mobiles?

I'll be asking that tomorrow, but I have a feeling he told me that there was no cooling off period. I can't find anything on the documentation that came through though.

I've read it. Unfortunately I read it after I signed up to the new deal from Sky. As it ties me in for 12 months I'm a bit limited.

Which is why I'll use the fact that they're not giving me what I paid for as a reason to leave

There will be a cooling off period won't there so you could cancel? Or is that just mobiles?

I'll be asking that tomorrow, but I have a feeling he told me that there was no cooling off period. I can't find anything on the documentation that came through though.

There are new regulations about providers not giving you the speeds they promised:

link

I'd say the fact that you were explicitly promised 40gb speeds at the point of sale gives you a very decent ofcom complaint

• Like 1

While it sounds like you know what your doing here Stevo the one thing I'd add from experience is that finding a recording of a call with Sky (ie getting them to prove what they have said) can be like pulling teeth, it took a friend of mine over six months because he needed the tape to prove his claim. It was so slow and so many times chasing up he just gave up in the end.

• Like 1

Cheers chaps.

The speed I'm getting is enough for me really, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I'm stuck on it.

But it's the principle really. And the fact that I wasn't sure about renewing with them anyway makes it even more annoying. The thing that swayed me to stay was a lie basically.

They'll be getting a stern phonecall tomorrow anyway

You have right to cancel if its still within 14days pal?

• Like 1

I just think people should engage with it, or at least try. It does impact your life, even if you don't appreciate it. You'd have to be privileged up to the eyeballs to live unaffected by changes in government.

Most people vote on a few issues, or on a general outlook on how society should be run. I doubt many know the ins and outs of running an economy, mostly because what we get told about the economy is usually nonsense.

I initially didn't respond further (than my high-lariously jocular response) for fear of turning this thread into a temporarily bolitical one (and bolitiks tends to stick to something like flies to a shite so it might have permanently ruined a good thread).

But basically I think anyone who thinks it makes a blind bit of difference picking one of the main parties over one of the other main parties is deluding themselves. It's the illusion of choice. I firmly believe that by and large when push comes to shove they're all the f**king same. Career politicians. Ultimately they're in it for themselves. To get back in.

I do not care who is taking my taxes. They will be taken regardless. I do not care who they're giving them to, because by and large they'll be distributed in a similar fashion no matter who is in. The constant is that it won't be back to me, so it doesn't matter.

But that's not even my main issue. My issue is a mathematical one. My single vote is not going to change the result of the election, so not only do I think it doesn't make a difference who I vote for or who gets in, I literally can not change the result (and save me the "but what if 30,000 people ..." spiel. I'm not 30,000 people. I am me), so I won't bother engaging either in the political world or in the event itself, and as a result of all of that I have the conscience that I certainly won't inflict an ignorant vote on the electorate come election time, and I'd suggest others who are equally ignorant of politics do the same.

So in that sense politics has absolutely zero affect on how my life works, unless I was to choose to become a candidate myself (which I can assure you will never happen). I am not registered to vote. I have never voted and I can not envisage a scenario where I will ever vote.

So [Mr/Mrs Politician], let me live my life in peace. Leave me be. I'll continue to do what I want and they'll sure as hell continue to do what they want. My vote and therefore my input or my interest changes nothing. I hate politics. I am extremely cynical of politicians in general.

And from what I gather from friends etc on the various social networks, the above is equally relevant both in Ireland and Britain.

Also, you'll gather from the overall narrative above that I will not be interested in a subsequent conversation/dissection about what I wrote. I'm done. Out. :)

Part of the subservient apathetic mass. It's why they can treat us like shit and keep getting back in. For shame.

The horrible plane crash yesterday and all people want to do is take photos so they can update their facebooks and instagrams so they can show off

Idiots.

I was there and saw the whole thing. The last thing I wanted to do was take pictures of it. Saw a video of the scene where two guys were just running round filming everything without a thought for actually trying to help in any way. Absolutely disgusting. Edited by choffer

While it sounds like you know what your doing here Stevo the one thing I'd add from experience is that finding a recording of a call with Sky (ie getting them to prove what they have said) can be like pulling teeth, it took a friend of mine over six months because he needed the tape to prove his claim. It was so slow and so many times chasing up he just gave up in the end.

It really shouldn't take that long though. Under the DPA, they have 40 days to provide it to you. I'm not saying that's enough to make it happen but it should be.

You have right to cancel if its still within 14days pal?

I don't think so in this case (I renewed my broadband recently and got told the same thing). I gather it's something to do with asking for the service to be provided immediately (as one would to continue with a service already being received) and thus is/may be exempt from cooling off period stuff in the distance selling regs (IANAL).

That Paris train story from yesterday. Am I alone in thinking that sounded an awful like a fairly cackhanded stunt to the end of improving American sentiment towards their military? 'Go Spencer'. Spewed from the laziest hollywood hack. With the amount of money America spend on their military, for them to orchestrate something like that doesn't really sound beyond the realms of possibility. Pretty cheap stunt that improves how the world look at American military, and moreso gives everyone at home the old 'America **** yeah'. I'm not making my tinfoil hat just yet, but I just think it's a strong possibility. Everything about it. Even the French guy injuring himself while trying to pull the emergency alarm. 'We Americans get the job done. Yeehaw'

My hope is that yes, you are alone.

• Like 1

The missus has just watched some animal programme and apparently there is such a thing as a celebrity TV farmer.

That is the final straw. We are all doomed 

That actually is the final straw, wtf is a celebrity TV farmer, maybe at a push the fella off country file, at a push. 

McGrath knows. He was faffing around with some pigs. I asked the missus and she said he is in a lot of things. I left the room at that point in utter despair 

Ah yes, it was him off countryfile and depressingly he is perhaps the only famous farmer.

McGrath knows. He was faffing around with some pigs. I asked the missus and she said he is in a lot of things. I left the room at that point in utter despair

Ah yes, it was him off countryfile and depressingly he is perhaps the only famous farmer.

Farmer Barleymow says hi. :wave:
  • Like 1

There have been several over the years. When I was a kid it was Ted Moult. Matt Baker is a farmer, as well as that Adam Whatsisface off Countryfile.

I don't see why it's any worse than being a celebrity anything else, TBH.

Â