Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I've heard India does the same kind of institutional racism with its pricing too.  Hilarious how its seen as a perfectly reasonable solution in this day and age.  As for your chalk X taxes.  I've heard so many stories like that about people who've been to various parts of Africa where you just have to go with whatever they've decided you pay that day.  I would hope it's not as bad as the stories I keep hearing, but from where I'm sat it certainly sounds anecdotally as if it's utterly rotten to the core.

don't get me started on that

How much is this water labelled 10 Rupees

answer .. Surprisingly expensive

my mate and I got ripped off / over charged / white man taxed at just about every opportunity  , you can haggle , indeed you are expected to but it really does get annoying after a while  to the point in Mumbai when the taxi meter said 30and  the driver said 50 Rupee please  ...we pointed and argued then stood firm  gave him 30 and walked off  ..he chased us down the road shouting and screaming  ...

got back to the hotel and there was a leaflet there saying "Understanding Mumbai Taxi's"  ... and went along the lines of Understanding the taxi meter in Mumbai can be confusing , for example a meter showing 30 would actually be 50 rupee 

oh well  :)

I've been hit for departure tax at quite a few airports  , normally in the poorer countries and also often tends to be in local currency only .. you tend to find this out right after you've spent your last money buying drinks and chocolate bars to get rid of all your currency ..D'oh

See I hate that kind of barter/negotiation. It's why I think I'd absolutely hate going to places like the bazaars in Morocco etc. It's my nightmare.

I don't haggle , I'm a shoppers dream ... I always buy some little trinkets \ local stuff for the kids when i travel , nothing expensive just stuff they keep in a little treasure box each in their rooms   , but I ask how much and then pay it ... In Iran the man told me how much and I said "Ok" ..and he said you are supposed to haggle with me .. so we haggled for 10 mins and I won a famous victory  ... and worked out I managed to get about £1.20 off the price :) 

I don't buy tapestries or Marble tables for thousands of £'s when I travel so everything is only sweet money really

Mate of mine in England when we go out always asks for discount on the bill in restaurants because we are a party of 5 ... I get really embarrassed by it and go to the toilet whilst he asks ... to be fair the restaurants usually give it , so I don't know why I don't like him doing it

That would be me too Tony. I'd probably end up buying nothing, just to avoid the whole scenario. I have neither the patience, the inclination or the disposition of someone who wants to haggle. Tell me the f**king price. Is that so hard to do. If he said "no you need to haggle" I would immediately put it back and walk away.

• Like 1

That would be me too Tony. I'd probably end up buying nothing, just to avoid the whole scenario. I have neither the patience, the inclination or the disposition of someone who wants to haggle. Tell me the f**king price. Is that so hard to do. If he said "no you need to haggle" I would immediately put it back and walk away.

Which is by far the best haggling technique.

Here's how you haggle in one of those markets.

Decide what you want to pay. Let's say it's 100 pesos

"How much is this?"

"250 pesos"

"Too expensive. That shop does it for 80 pesos. Thanks, adios"

Walk off and wait for them to shout after you and offer you a real price, probably somewhere in the region of what you want to pay.

If they let you walk off then the price you wanted to pay must actually have been unreasonable. But it never is.

but like I said, it has it's place. If I had to do that in every shop for normal items like food and water it would be really **** annoying.

we tell all our tour guides before we start our trips  .. "No <insert local speciality product here>  and definitely No traditional folk dancing

I don't' buy tapestries / garden statues  / works of art when I'm on holiday so it's just a waste of everyone's time and Folk Dancing  ..well I don't' even have to explain my objection there do I :)

A walk through the bazaar is Ok as by and large they don't haggle too much as your only buying something for  £10 max .. Bazaars are just magical , the smell , the noise , the hustle of people , the fact you can buy just about anything ever made in one  ..

I guess BOF doesn't haggle in his north european homeland either then?

If I'm paying for a hotel I'll do the usual travel sites, then phone them up and ask to pay less. Perfectly polite, I'll put an offer. Some say yes, some say no.

I can haggle a price down at a Novotel and sometimes a Hilton. You would imagine the desk jockey at those isn't in a position to offer discount but they often are.

Last visit to Novotel Hammersmith and Hilton NEC I got a combined total of 5 days parking for free - because I asked! That's £100 of spending money to me, thanks.

The fact that 'creativity' in advertising seems to equate to just nicking something that's gone viral on social media. The latest example being that annoying lucozade radio ad that has been pretty much copied word for word from the Southwest Airlines flight attendant rap. 

If I'm paying for a hotel I'll do the usual travel sites, then phone them up and ask to pay less. Perfectly polite, I'll put an offer. Some say yes, some say no.

I can haggle a price down at a Novotel and sometimes a Hilton. You would imagine the desk jockey at those isn't in a position to offer discount but they often are.

Last visit to Novotel Hammersmith and Hilton NEC I got a combined total of 5 days parking for free - because I asked! That's £100 of spending money to me, thanks.

surely you are there for work and thus it's zero spending money in your pocket ... unless you mean you are fraudulently claiming the money back on your expenses  :detect: 

surely you are there for work and thus it's zero spending money in your pocket ... unless you mean you are fraudulently claiming the money back on your expenses  :detect:

Expenses are strictly receipt repayment. No receipt, I lose. So you're correct, I don't haggle work visits.....quite the opposite as I'm collecting various rewards points!

Believe it or not, NEC and Hammersmith were family trips out!

We have to double room now due to age of the kids, so haggling and points harvesting is nigh on essential! 

I may or may not sometimes get confused over office auto top up oyster card useage.

I've heard India does the same kind of institutional racism with its pricing too.  Hilarious how its seen as a perfectly reasonable solution in this day and age.  

Yes, there is a local price and a tourist price at a lot of attractions.

Being Indian and brown, i tried paying the local price but they wouldn't accept it.

I guess my clothes and English gives it away :)  

I've heard India does the same kind of institutional racism with its pricing too.  Hilarious how its seen as a perfectly reasonable solution in this day and age.  

Yes, there is a local price and a tourist price at a lot of attractions.

Being Indian and brown, i tried paying the local price but they wouldn't accept it.

I guess my clothes and English gives it away :)  

and the airlines as well (unless it's changed recently ) when I flew a lot of internal flights over there

I've got a lot of English / Indian friends who also say they can't get away with it when they go  ... must be the accents giving it away ..that or saying  "Innit " at the end of every sentence :)

The fact that 'creativity' in advertising seems to equate to just nicking something that's gone viral on social media. The latest example being that annoying lucozade radio ad that has been pretty much copied word for word from the Southwest Airlines flight attendant rap.

The fairly recent one that got me was I think the toyota aygo ad, where the guy dresses up as a seat and people think no one is driving.

Ghost car/driver I think it was called on YouTube and that went viral years ago, not only is it unimaginative buy I'd imagine a huge amount of people had already seen it by the time they made the ad.

Whilst I can appreciate it has it place at markets and in other cultures etc, I worked in retail for 2/3 years and those who tried to haggle with me at the till were the bane of my existence.

dom_400x400.JPG

is this the one man one punch thread?

Â