Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

What's the thing with 'diet' fizzy drinks, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that they are also bad for people trying to drop a bit of weight?

Its mostly myth.

The train of thought that diet coke etc cause you to gain weight is based on the thinking that the artificially sweet drink causes the brain to misunderstand the relationship between sweetness and calories so you end up craving sweet food more and also don't realise how much you're eating when you do.

It's not backed up by much science at all. Most claims seem to be based on one study of rats where the group that were fed real sweetener as opposed to artificial sweetener ate less sweet food. But that could be put down to the fact they were getting more calories from their sweetener and so needed less food.

The basic fact is there are significantly less calories in diet drinks than normal sodas. So if you're trying to lose weight then they are obviously better than normal soda drinks.

Losing weight should be about calorie counting, in which case its hard to argue that diet drinks are worse than normal drinks because they are zero calories.

Was a good show on TV the other month with 2 twins ... One on high fat diet one on a sugar diet

Both lost weight as ultimately they were bored of bland food and didn't eat much

Later in the show with rats they gave them a diet of nothing but cream ... The rats weight stated the same

Then they gave them a diet of nothing but sugar only ... Their weight stayed the same

Then they combined the 2 and the rats became obese

Interesting stuff , especially for a sugar junkie like myself

The basic fact is there are significantly less calories...

fewer, surely?

Losing weight should be about calorie counting, in which case its hard to argue that diet drinks are worse than normal drinks because they are zero calories.

Though it's not solely about calorie counting as people deal with calorific intake, storage and the 'burning off' of calories in different ways, don't they (or at least that's what some of the evidence is pointing to)?

Ignoring his diet fad, Mosley's panorama programme about exercise and genetics was quite interesting.

The basic fact is there are significantly less calories...

fewer, surely?

Though it's not solely about calorie counting as people deal with calorific intake, storage and the 'burning off' of calories in different ways, don't they (or at least that's what some of the evidence is pointing to)?

Yeah they do. Everyone is different. You can't just say "2000 calories a day will make you lose weight" because some people need more than others.

What I meant was it comes down to calories in vs calories out. If you want to lose fat, eat less calories than you burn. That's calorie counting.

To get there you need to use a decent TDEE calculator and some trial and error to find the right amount, and tweak your intake over time.

But there's no great secret. Most fad diets that work only work because you end up eating less calories anyway.

Exercise is a tool to losing fat. It should always start with your diet. And there are very few shortcuts.

Fewer, ffs! ;)

The problem with the calorie counting, though, is that it tends to be presented in a one size fits all way which doesn't appear to be the case on the face of it and when presented with the kind of stuff that was in that Mosley programme seems almost self-defeating.

Fewer, ffs! ;)

The problem with the calorie counting, though, is that it tends to be presented in a one size fits all way which doesn't appear to be the case on the face of it and when presented with the kind of stuff that was in that Mosley programme seems almost self-defeating.

yeah it definitely isn't the case.

If I ever tell anyone how to diet I always say to use a TDEE calculator to work out their daily calorie requirements and then subtract 500. If that works, stick to it. If not then shave a few more off the next week and try again.

So yeah, the problem is with how its presented. But its certainly not a problem with the method. Its the only way that works really.

Edited by Stevo985

Again, though, the crux  of that bit of the programme is that it isn't about just fiddling about with ins and outs (though that works for a lot).

They reckoned that there was a genetic issue that meant that a certain percentage of people could try all the diet/exercise regimes that they wanted but that the results that they got would be minimal in comparison to the diet tried (conversely some people would have a dramatic benefit from normal diet/exercise regimes).

Then there was that 'Hi Fit' thing.

Altogether, what it seemed to suggest was that orthodoxy isn't always the best policy (though it obviously is, mostly).

I dont have additional sugar in anything, drinks, cereal, nothing. It makes me gag. 

Same.

If I was eating a particularly plain cereal then I might sprinkle some on. But apart form that it's nothing.

Used to have it on my porridge in the morning but now I use flavoured whey.

Again, though, the crux  of that bit of the programme is that it isn't about just fiddling about with ins and outs (though that works for a lot).

They reckoned that there was a genetic issue that meant that a certain percentage of people could try all the diet/exercise regimes that they wanted but that the results that they got would be minimal in comparison to the diet tried (conversely some people would have a dramatic benefit from normal diet/exercise regimes).

Then there was that 'Hi Fit' thing.

Altogether, what it seemed to suggest was that orthodoxy isn't always the best policy (though it obviously is, mostly).

Obviously you can't account for genetic issues and the like.

But most people who say they have genetic problems that make them put on weight are lying.

For the vast majority of people, calorie counting is the way they should be trying to lose weight. Fad diets mostly don't work. And when they do, like I said before, it's usually because they "trick" you into eating FEWER  ;) calories anyway

• Like 1

people playing their music on a laptop speaker at work, without headphones, on the whole its right dross, today some tripe called David Guetta.

A fine example of the delusion too many people have that their musical tastes are so universally understood to be unimpeachable, that they assume everyone wants to hear their latest selection.

These people habitually preface their aural assault with the word - Enjoy!

people playing their music on a laptop speaker at work, without headphones, on the whole its right dross, today some tripe called David Guetta.

A fine example of the delusion too many people have that their musical tastes are so universally understood to be unimpeachable, that they assume everyone wants to hear their latest selection.

I never do this, if anything, I say you wont like it if people ask what am I listening to. I appreciate enthusiasm for music and if I worked with like minded people then I could understand it.

I never do this, if anything, I say you wont like it if people ask what am I listening to. I appreciate enthusiasm for music and if I worked with like minded people then I could understand it.

I have definitely had that narcissistic feeling, where I loved a piece of music so much that I couldn't really believe anyone could possibly dislike it.

So I understand why people do it but it doesn't make their imposition forgiveable.

All too often music you don't like can be actually unbearable - presently I am watching the first series of The Wire but have to mute the sound at the start of every episode because I can't stand that particular version of Tom Waits' Down In The Hole. :blush:

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Inconsistant pronounciation. Sky are guilty at the moment.

Sporting "Hee-hon" (Gijon) and yet no Barthalona for example.

Pick a style and stick you it you shitbags. ALL Spanish style.... or none.

Â