Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Commentators that pronounce the names of footballers in the accent of the player's nationality.

This one comes up time and time again, doesn't it? 

I'm in the (almost) opposite camp - people who insist on pronouncing foreign names in a British way. Admittedly, there's no need for an exaggerated attempt at an accent, but correct pronunciation of the vowels and consonants is just good manners as far as I'm concerned. 

I find I reluctantly go along with the majority much of the time, just to avoid the guffawing that would ensue, but personally I'd rather say "Yon Carev" (if that's correct) than "John Caroo". 

Commentators that pronounce the names of footballers in the accent of the player's nationality.

I'm in the (almost) opposite camp - people who insist on pronouncing foreign names in a British way. Admittedly, there's no need for an exaggerated attempt at an accent, but correct pronunciation of the vowels and consonants is just good manners as far as I'm concerned.

I find I reluctantly go along with the majority much of the time, just to avoid the guffawing that would ensue, but personally I'd rather say "Yon Carev" (if that's correct) than "John Caroo".

But that would ruin the song! :-)

• Like 2

Personally, I don't hugely see the point in borrowing accents & pronunciations from another language unless you're using the language itself.

For example, if you're speaking French (or attempting to) then by all means say Pareee, but otherwise it should be Paris, because that's the English pronunciation, and you're speaking English (presumably).

Personally, I don't hugely see the point in borrowing accents & pronunciations from another language unless you're using the language itself.

For example, if you're speaking French (or attempting to) then by all means say Pareee, but otherwise it should be Paris, because that's the English pronunciation, and you're speaking English (presumably).

But it's their names! You wouldnt want foreign people to call you something weird because thats how they would pronounce the spelling of your name.

Common courtesy? 

Edit: Perfect for this thread:  Its like English(and Irish etc) people pronouncing Marbella with the Ls while in spain 2 L's is a y sound.

Edited by zak

But it's their names! You wouldnt want foreign people to call you something weird because thats how they would pronounce the spelling of your name.

Common courtesy?

The problem I have with this is knowing where to draw the line. Thinking about it, names should be pronounced correctly as per the nationality of the subject (so that probably represents a touch of revisionism on my behalf). But if you were going to pronounce Paris as Paree then why wouldn't you pronounce France as Fr-h-awn-se?

Perhaps it should carry for names, but nothing else.

Even when people do say foreign names properly, it's generally half arsed and they take a 'pick n mix' approach.

I'm sure EVERYONE who pronounces it Marb-aya, also pronounce Valencia as Ba-len-thia, or only ever call Bangkok....Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.

I dunno, maybe they do!? Maybe the super pedants always refer to it as:

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

But that would ruin the song! :-)

I noticed on MOTD last night that David Luiz has now become

da-vid lueesh.

Other belters include karim el acmedi, ole gunner sol-shara, & john motsons cringeworthy

jochim luuurv!!

Â