Golf: General Chat

villarule123

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Golfers are surely all pretty wealthy people set for life. 

I hate these "it's nothing to do with me, I'm just playing my sport, I'm not a politician bullshit responses.  You're taking blood money to line your pockets whilst legitimising rape, torture, murder and civil liberty infringements. 

You never know how you're going to respond when huge sums of money are thrown at you but I'd like to think if I was already set for life in reasonable comfort I would reject it and show it up for what it is. 

I kind of expect it from footballers but I would hope golfers were a little more level headed, but no, just as grubby. 

I'm paraphrasing but Dustin Johnson basically said, he doesn't want to play for ever and he's got to think of his family. He's getting $150m (rumoured) from the Saudis. 

Career to date in the PGA, he's earned $73m. His kids weren't about to starve!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm paraphrasing but Dustin Johnson basically said, he doesn't want to play for ever and he's got to think of his family. He's getting $150m (rumoured) from the Saudis. 

Madness isn’t it. Over my 40 years in the nhs when I retire I’ll have earned £700,000. Over 40 years. 

Massive damage to the game. Imagine a player that hasn’t jumped ship wins a major, it will always be levelled at them that they done so when the best in the game weren’t playing. 

The PGA will end up like the BDO in darts when all the best jump for greed.

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes, that's what I mean, it's total bullshit. How much money do you need? 

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Madness isn’t it. Over my 40 years in the nhs when I retire I’ll have earned £700,000. Over 40 years. 

This is the thing.  I would not damn you if you decided to go work in a Saudi hospital for treble the wages as you wanted to provide a better future for your kids.  But when you've got £70m in the bank it just doesn't wash, even if you say its all relative. 

He has the power to retire today and give his kids the kind of life enjoyed by the top 1% of the worlds population. 

it wouldn't be so bad if some of them just admit they are doing it for the money. But the bull**** they are coming out with to justify taking part is just taking the p*** out of the fans.

It was funny one reporter was ripping into one of the golfers about the human rights issues, when he himself works for a the Independent, which is 50% owned by the Saudis. The golfers should do there research and come back at them.

• Like 1

This is essentially what they tried to do with football a couple of years ago with the super duper league. 

Glad to see the PGA standing their ground, let’s see if they enforce what they’re threatening now when it comes to the crunch.

It boils down to rich people wanting to get richer and not really giving a shit about where the money comes from nor the integrity of the sport that’s given them their already lavish lifestyles.

We shouldn't be giving Jesse J, James Morrison or Mel C a easy ride either, they seem to be getting away with it scott free. All have claimed to be activists of some sort over time, but don't care of playing in a concert at this event.

Don't agree with LIV golf but the format could be considered, as in 54 holes in 3 days instead of he usual 4 rounds. Golf takes too long- with 3 rounds you could schedule something on Friday to Sunday. It's strange as people's attentions spans have shortened, but a lot of sports  now take longer than they used to- Golf rounds, Cricket's average over rate, Tennis, Baseball etc.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Don't agree with LIV golf but the format could be considered, as in 54 holes in 3 days instead of he usual 4 rounds. Golf takes too long- with 3 rounds you could schedule something on Friday to Sunday. It's strange as people's attentions spans have shortened, but a lot of sports  now take longer than they used to- Golf rounds, Cricket's average over rate, Tennis, Baseball etc.

Another tournament from another organisation is fine. It’s when it’s being funded by the murderous Saudi’s. **** Saudi Arabia.  

15 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Loving the questions put to Poulter, Westwood, DJ, McDowell on morality 😅

They all look like outcasts to me now. Up the PGA 😆

I found it such a depressing video. Those players just showed themselves up to be valueless amoral pieces of shit not worth a damn. They've utterly torched their reputations ( amongst decent folk anyway)  to chase blood money. Poulter couldn't even answer whether he would say no to a Putin organised event. 🤮

• Like 3

Unless the Saudis manage to entice more players to defect this whole thing is going to fall flat on its face.

It’s not going to be commercially viable to offer the kind of prize money on offer for the calibre of player involved, thus far only Dustin Johnson could really consider himself one of the top players involved, the likes of Garcia, Westwood, Poulter etc are in the twilights of their careers and slipping down the world rankings steadily.

Without top players no one will watch it, which means no will televise it, which means no one will sponsor it, here’s hoping.

Money, ethics, and golf are not natural bedfellows. Augusta for years had a segregationist policy,  Muirfield wouldn't have females as members until recently, they allowed events to carry on in South Africa during apartheid etc.  I think they are always been   intensely relaxed in earning huge amounts of money no questions asked.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â