Golf: General Chat

villarule123

23 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It was funny one reporter was ripping into one of the golfers about the human rights issues, when he himself works for a the Independent, which is 50% owned by the Saudis. The golfers should do there research and come back at them.

Maybe you should do your own research. the Indie is not owned by "The Saudis." A Saudi investor owns 30%, he is not a member of the ruling House of Saud nor is he a majority shreholder in the Independent.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Maybe you should do your own research. the Indie is not owned by "The Saudis." A Saudi investor owns 30%, he is not a member of the ruling House of Saud nor is he a majority shreholder in the Independent.

So where does his money come from?

Anyway, almost all sports are invested in Middle eastern money, AJ and Usyk are going to be taking  Saudi money, it's gonna be standard news soon.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

So where does his money come from?

It doesn't matter, he isn't part of the ruling family, he has no bearing on the direction of the country. Not only that but as a minority shareholder with no place on the board of the Independent (that was part of the deal that allowed him to buy the stake), he also has no bearing on the direction of the paper either. He's a shareholder (30%) and that's all

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It doesn't matter, he isn't part of the ruling family, he has no bearing on the direction of the country. Not only that but as a minority shareholder with no place on the board of the Independent (that was part of the deal that allowed him to buy the stake), he also has no bearing on the direction of the paper either. He's a shareholder (30%) and that's all

All i'm saying is, it could have been used against the reporter, also that it used to be owned by a Russian oligarch.

• 1 month later...

Thought Rory would end his major drought but Cameron Smith had a unbelievable round of 64 to lift the claret jug. He then refused to confirm or deny if he win join the LIV tour.  Golf is in a bad way at the moment as this spilt could cause serious problems. Also with the R&A taking the money I think it is suffering from a lack of exposure on mainstream television. The open was  reported as the third sports item over  the weekend behind the Women;s euros and World Athletics. And this was the 150th Open at the home of golf in St Andrews (no not that one) as well.

• Like 1

Unbelievable that Stenson is even considering giving up the Ryder Cup captaincy for the sake of Saudi $$$.

According to the web, Stenson is worth $60M and would no doubt earn another few million at least over the next couple of years, why he’d give up the Ryder Cup now just to chase down more money in events no one gives a toss about is just beyond me. So indicative of modern times, everyone just ‘does them’, ‘living their best life’ or whatever other retarded slogan gets bandied about these days when all it boils down to, is that they don’t give a flying shit about anyone or anything else so long as they’re okay and content.

On 18/07/2022 at 21:31, bannedfromHandV said:

Unbelievable that Stenson is even considering giving up the Ryder Cup captaincy for the sake of Saudi $$$.

According to the web, Stenson is worth $60M and would no doubt earn another few million at least over the next couple of years, why he’d give up the Ryder Cup now just to chase down more money in events no one gives a toss about is just beyond me. So indicative of modern times, everyone just ‘does them’, ‘living their best life’ or whatever other retarded slogan gets bandied about these days when all it boils down to, is that they don’t give a flying shit about anyone or anything else so long as they’re okay and content.

I think if you were Stenson, seeing your mates (Poulter and Westwood etc) who haven't won a major, getting huge pay days in the twilight of their careers it would make you think.

Just give Rory a player/captain role. Seems to be the only one who isn't interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Henrik Stensson getting a £50m signing fee just to play on the Saudi tour. Hope he breaks his neck diving into his Scrooge McDuck pool of money

Thats crazy money! 

The problem is with the golfers who have defected, they are allowed to play in the majors. Its win-win for them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 11:40, Xela said:

Thats crazy money! 

The problem is with the golfers who have defected, they are allowed to play in the majors. Its win-win for them. 

Well, a little more complicated than that. Their problem is now going to be gathering Official Golf World Ranking (OWGR) points. The PGA & Euro Tours give them out, both of which they are now banned from. LIV has applied for OWGR status to be able to hand out points, but they don’t meet all of the criteria (72 hole tournaments, cuts after 2 rounds, etc). Even if they do get status, they have to wait a year to hand out points.

Without OWGR points, the world ranking of your average LIV player is going to plummet quickly. The problem is that majors hand out invites based on world rankings. Off the top of my head I believe the Masters invites the top 50, both Opens Invite the top 60, and the US PGA invites the top 100.

So while they’re making a ton of money, their counterparts on the PGA & Euro Tours are earning OWGR points while they’re not. Which means their world ranking is going to sink like a rock and they won’t get invites to majors.

Players (like Mickelson who won the PGA last year) with exemptions are fine. Most majors come with a 5-ish year exemption. But the players who don’t have majors in the recent past (which is the vast majority of them) are going to be dropped from the majors pretty quickly.

• Like 1

:D

Ivana Trump was buried near the first hole of Trump National Golf Club. Her gravesite could offer tax breaks for the business.

• Ivana Trump was buried near the first hole of Trump National Golf Club in New Jersey. 
  • Tax code in New Jersey exempts cemetery land from all taxes, rates, and assessments.
  • Under the code, the gravesite of the former president's ex-wife may have tax implications for his golf business. 

The location of Ivana Trump's grave — near the first hole of the golf course at Trump National Golf Club — may have tax implications for the business owned by the former president. 

Tax documents from the Trump Family Trust, published by ProPublica, show the trust sought to designate a property in Hackettstown, New Jersey, as a non-profit cemetery company, though the course itself is 20 miles away in Bedminster. 

Ivana Trump, former President Donald Trump's ex-wife, is the first person known to have been buried at the Trump-owned golf course.

Under New Jersey state tax code, any land that is dedicated to cemetery purposes is exempt from all taxes, rates, and assessments. Cemetery companies are also specifically exempt from paying any real estate taxes, rates, and assessments or personal property taxes on their lands, as well as business taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, and inheritance taxes.

In the New Jersey Law Revision Commission, a "cemetery company" is defined as "a person, corporation, association or other entity that owns or operates a cemetery, but does not include a religious organization that owns a cemetery which restricts burials to members of that religion or their families unless the organization has obtained a certificate of authority for the cemetery."

https://www.businessinsider.com/ivana-trump-gravesite-trump-national-golf-club-tax-break-2022-7?r=US&IR=T

12 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Well, a little more complicated than that. Their problem is now going to be gathering Official Golf World Ranking (OWGR) points. The PGA & Euro Tours give them out, both of which they are now banned from. LIV has applied for OWGR status to be able to hand out points, but they don’t meet all of the criteria (72 hole tournaments, cuts after 2 rounds, etc). Even if they do get status, they have to wait a year to hand out points.

Without OWGR points, the world ranking of your average LIV player is going to plummet quickly. The problem is that majors hand out invites based on world rankings. Off the top of my head I believe the Masters invites the top 50, both Opens Invite the top 60, and the US PGA invites the top 100.

So while they’re making a ton of money, their counterparts on the PGA & Euro Tours are earning OWGR points while they’re not. Which means their world ranking is going to sink like a rock and they won’t get invites to majors.

Players (like Mickelson who won the PGA last year) with exemptions are fine. Most majors come with a 5-ish year exemption. But the players who don’t have majors in the recent past (which is the vast majority of them) are going to be dropped from the majors pretty quickly.

I get and understand everything you have said in this post, but while the LIV is there do you think they'll be that bothered about not playing in any majors?

I don't think it will bother them myself, they are just motivated by money.

By joining LIV they have all demonstrated that all they are bothered about is money and given that most of them are already multi millionaires it's just sheer greed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, imavillan said:

I get and understand everything you have said in this post, but while the LIV is there do you think they'll be that bothered about not playing in any majors?

I don't think it will bother them myself, they are just motivated by money.

By joining LIV they have all demonstrated that all they are bothered about is money and given that most of them are already multi millionaires it's just sheer greed.

I think you’re correct. Which is why, outside a couple of players (Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau), LIV Golf is getting players who are far past their prime or players who have no shot of ever winning a major.

The players who care about their legacy and have an opportunity to still add to it will stick with the traditional tours. Rory, Rahm, Spieth, Justin Thomas, etc.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tegis said:

^^
*Reverse image search* and thank you @rjw63

Surprised you didn't already know her, she actually makes golfing (sort of) interesting ;)

• 8 months later...

Report: DP World Tour Wins Crucial Panel Hearing Against LIV Golf Players

LOL. Not big into golf but keep up to speed on it. This should be a larf.

The DP World Tour has reportedly won February's panel hearing, meaning that LIV players will likely not be allowed to tee it up on the European-based circuit again

The DP World Tour has reportedly won the Sports Resolutions arbitration hearing that took place in London in February.

The week-long panel hearing related to the DP World Tour's position in suspending players and handing them £100,000 fines for going against declined release requests for playing the LIV Golf debut event at the Centurion Club.

"The DP World Tour has won the Sports Resolutions arbitration hearing against LIV players, whose £100,000 fines for playing in the inaugural LIV London event have been upheld," The Times' Tom Kershaw revealed on Twitter.

"They will be eligible for further fines and suspensions going forwards."

Â