Golf: General Chat

villarule123

Excellent day's play.

Really sad to see Molinari go in the drink twice after how well he has played so far.

If Woods wins, it will be the first time he's won a major having not been in the lead (or joint lead) after 54 holes. Still, he shouldn't have been in the tournament after his drive at the 13th yesterday. They should still be looking for that.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

If Tiger does this it’s one of, if not the greatest comeback in sporting history. 

No, it isn't. Since he has returned from injury this time, he has performed remarkably well but chalking up this Masters win as one of or the greatest comeback in sporting history is hyperbole.

If he'd done it without having been there or thereabouts in most of the tournaments that he's played over the last couple of years since coming back (including second in the US PGA and T6th in The Open and winning the Tour Championship last year)  and not have been third or fourth favourite at 14/1 then perhaps.

Edit: I do get the idea of where he came back from two years ago, i.e. unable to pick up a club through injury but I still think it's over the top and it's typical of the nonsense that surrounds Woods. Golf is a game where it's quite common for people to go from the top to the bottom and vice versa very, very quickly (Duval an example of the former and Westwood and Kuchar two examples of the latter). It's not that surprising that when Woods got himself fit again, he found himself back to the top of the golfing world.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree there @snowychap 

I understand the hyperbole surrounding Woods, but even allowing for that, this is something else imo.

Getting back to tour level at all was amazing, contending in and winning regular events remarkable, but actually winning another Major is unbelievable. 43 years old, fused spine, personal issues, drug/alcohol problems and his game was shot to bits. To get back from all that and do this is unreal really. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

I respectfully disagree there @snowychap 

I understand the hyperbole surrounding Woods, but even allowing for that, this is something else imo.

Getting back to tour level at all was amazing, contending in and winning regular events remarkable, but actually winning another Major is unbelievable. 43 years old, fused spine, personal issues, drug/alcohol problems and his game was shot to bits. To get back from all that and do this is unreal really. 

It's not 'unbelievable'. It's very much believable. That the best ever golfer, having got fit enough again to play, is able to compete with others who were not as good golfers on one of his favourite courses and, through a great deal of luck, manages to win (Woods was most definitely not the best golfer this week) isn't unbelieveable. It's quite some story, yes, but it isn't the level of story that everyone is going to run with for ages.

Golf lends itself to lots of 'stories' especially about those who come back from injury, serious illness and complete loss of form.

For example, it's quite some story to come back from a heart transplant (the second one) simply to play again on the PGA tour let alone make the top 5 in a major - Erik Compton.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Withnail said:

What happened at the 13th yesterday?

I didn't see it but I heard he hit a wayward shot and got a lucky bounce off a tree or something when really it should have been lost.

Not sure why he shouldn't have been in the tournament as a result though... I may have missed something.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Withnail said:

What happened at the 13th yesterday?

I meant metaphorically out of the tournament rather than actually out of it.

He hooked his tee shot left of the creek heading in to the middle of the trees but it ended up richoceting out and dropped safe just right of the creek. He chipped out and ended up making birdie when he should probably have been taking either three off the tee or a penalty some where down by the creek which would have likely seen him drop a shot or two and end up a fair bit behind.

Psychologically, it was mightily important for him to be in the final group for the last round, which he probably wouldn't have been without that huge stroke of luck (it wasn't the only big piece of luck he had on Saturday).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anybody play?

What's people's handicaps? 

Any recommended courses in the sweat midlands to play?

I live in herefordshire, some lovely courses round here. Bransford, just outside Worcester, is a lovely course. Loads of water and some really rough holes. I played the PGA national at the belfry a few years, man that was tough. Some of the bunkers were huge. Am playing the brabazon in November with a society. I tell the society I'm off 19, but closer to 17 in reality. 😜

Having 3 young kids, it's tough to find the time to go. Probably play about 10 times a year. Maybe 15 at an absolute push. Should, realistically, bring that handicap right down when I start to play more regularly (when all kids are in full time education). Will join a local course and get a few lessons. 

Struggle with a slice of the tee, am trying lots of different things to sort it out. But think I may need a few lessons and correct it. Love golf, absolutely love it. Am going this Saturday and am more excited about it than football at the moment. 

Â