Golf: General Chat

villarule123

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Does he have to win the players to go top?

Haven’t done the numbers, to be honest. I think so. But if he keeps his current form up, he’ll go top before long anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Haven’t done the numbers, to be honest. I think so. But if he keeps his current form up, he’ll go top before long anyway. 

He's super consistent so hopefully so, No1 or not he's making millions, fair play to him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Woods made his comeback at the Masters today. Shot one under and is in the top 10. Whether he can keep it up for another 3 rounds given his physical condition is doubtful but it is already some going him playing in a major again and more than holding his own. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Woods made his comeback at the Masters today. Shot one under and is in the top 10. Whether he can keep it up for another 3 rounds given his physical condition is doubtful but it is already some going him playing in a major again and more than holding his own. 

Incredible, really. He’s a troubled and imperfect individual, Tiger, but him competing at the Masters again is quite a story. I hope he does well and hangs in there. 

• Like 1

While we’re on the subject of great comebacks: I haven’t played in five years or so, but played a round of indoor golf with my dad a couple of weeks ago. 

Shot a 71 (-1). Two birdies and a bogey. 

I know the simulator is more forgiving than the real deal, but still. Chuffed. 

Might try and play a bit again in the summer. 

34 minutes ago, El Zen said:

While we’re on the subject of great comebacks: I haven’t played in five years or so, but played a round of indoor golf with my dad a couple of weeks ago. 

Shot a 71 (-1). Two birdies and a bogey. 

I know the simulator is more forgiving than the real deal, but still. Chuffed. 

Might try and play a bit again in the summer. 

Never played a sim. Loads of them around and always been curious, but for some reason I’ve never gotten round to it 

9 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Never played a sim. Loads of them around and always been curious, but for some reason I’ve never gotten round to it 

Up here, they’re all you get between October and April, so I’ve played loads of sim golf over the years. It’s not the real deal, obviously, but I think they’re fairly accurate and I enjoy the casualness of it and sitting down with a cup of coffee between turns instead of hauling myself and a heavy bag up and down the slopes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Up here, they’re all you get between October and April, so I’ve played loads of sim golf over the years. It’s not the real deal, obviously, but I think they’re fairly accurate and I enjoy the casualness of it and sitting down with a cup of coffee between turns instead of hauling myself and a heavy bag up and down the slopes. 

The missus wants to take up golf - might ease her in with a sim

I'm not a big golf fan by any stretch but I'll watch the final round of the masters tonight. Would be better if their was some British interest though at the top of the leader board. Was great watching in the late 80's/90's with Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam all winning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm not a big golf fan by any stretch but I'll watch the final round of the masters tonight. Would be better if their was some British interest though at the top of the leader board. Was great watching in the late 80's/90's with Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam all winning. 

96 when Faldo took Norman apart is my favourite gold major ever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

96 when Faldo took Norman apart is my favourite gold major ever.

Yes that was a classic mate. Norman collapsed but it is almost forgotten that Faldo shot 5 under in the last round. I actually watched highlights of it again yesterday on YouTube. Unreal that it was 26 years ago.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes that was a classic mate. Norman collapsed but it is almost forgotten that Faldo shot 5 under in the last round. I actually watched highlights of it again yesterday on YouTube. Unreal that it was 26 years ago.

That 2iron into 13 was sublime. The drama on that shot was unreal 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not a massive golf fan, but find it interesting to see what is going on at the moment. A power struggle between the PGA and the Saudi backed  LIV Golf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61746560

The PGA Tour has suspended all of its members who are playing in this week's Saudi-funded LIV Golf Invitational.

The tournament, being held at Centurion Club near London, is the most lucrative in the history of the game with a $25m (£20m) prize fund.

Six-time major winner Phil Mickelson is among the biggest names to be affected.

LIV Golf issued an immediate reply calling the PGA Tour "vindictive" and said this "deepens the divide between the Tour and its members".

The statement added: "It's troubling that the Tour, an organisation dedicated to creating opportunities for golfers to play the game, is the entity blocking golfers from playing.

"This certainly is not the last word on this topic. The era of free agency is beginning as we are proud to have a full field of players joining us in London, and beyond."

The PGA Tour released its statement 30 minutes after play had begun at Centurion, where 48 players are competing in the first of eight planned LIV Golf invitational events.

Former world number one Greg Norman is the chief executive of LIV Golf, which has £1.6bn of funding from Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

The first seven events all have the same $25m prize fund, with the winner collecting $4m, while a team element will see the top three teams share $5m. The eighth event is a $50m team championship and will be played in October at Trump Doral in Miami.

The PGA Tour had refused requests for waivers from its members wanting to play in the new series and had threatened to ban those that rebelled.

This decision affects 17 players, including lifetime member Mickelson and his fellow American Dustin Johnson, who announced on Tuesday that he had resigned from the Tour. Mickelson did not deny that he had been given $200m to play in the series, while Johnson is reported to be getting $150m.

Crucially, the PGA Tour has closed a loophole that would potentially have allowed players who have resigned from the tour to play events via sponsors exemptions.

Sergio Garcia, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell and Lee Westwood, have, like Johnson, already resigned and will all be affected by that ruling.

Some big numbers there! Who in reality is going to reject $200m?! 

Imagine throwing your toys out the pram as an adult with a storied career just to play in a blood money tournament. 

**** Saudi Arabia. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Golfers are surely all pretty wealthy people set for life. 

I hate these "it's nothing to do with me, I'm just playing my sport, I'm not a politician bullshit responses.  You're taking blood money to line your pockets whilst legitimising rape, torture, murder and civil liberty infringements. 

You never know how you're going to respond when huge sums of money are thrown at you but I'd like to think if I was already set for life in reasonable comfort I would reject it and show it up for what it is. 

I kind of expect it from footballers but I would hope golfers were a little more level headed, but no, just as grubby. 

Â