Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

This is the identity thing in play they do have a strong identity. But is that a good thing ? . You know what you are gonna get against them. Raucous stadium  committed players. Strong pressing. Sign of a great manager not a good one is not having a set identity isnt it ? 

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Crazy money for a guy just coming back from an ACL injury.

They’ve still got to abide by FFP, at least in theory, and their transfer dealings in the last two windows have been horrendous from a value perspective. A modern MON indeed.

Heads will roll before Christmas when they perform worse than last season I imagine.

Do you think they'll appoint a gay manager as a gift to the fans?

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sign of a great manager not a good one is not having a set identity isnt it ? 

I mean.

Stoke City had a identity under Tony Pulis 😂

46 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

£35m (assuming with add-ons) is a big risk for someone who did their cruciate ligament a year ago 

and was still developing at that time, he's a great prospect and id have liked him at villa for sure but im reserved on lauding it as an incredible piece of business, long way to go on that yet

a a side - how did england get so deep at right back?

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

£35m (assuming with add-ons) is a big risk for someone who did their cruciate ligament a year ago 

Could turnout to be either Alan Hutton or Gareth Bale. No doubt he might be an incredible pick up but with so little experience to base a decision on , £35 mill is a hell of a punt. 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Could turnout to be either Alan Hutton or Gareth Bale. No doubt he might be an incredible pick up but with so little experience to base a decision on , £35 mill is a hell of a punt. 

I really like Livramento and he’s got a bright future if he stays fit. However, an ACL is a major injury to get over and spending £35m on a position they don’t really need is a lot of eggs in a basket. Could work out. Could not. 

ACL injuries aren't the career death sentence they used to be. 

And presumably they have some kind of insurance from an FFP perspective so they can just move on and sign someone else if he ends up being perma crocked. You know, like selling him to one of their sister clubs in Saudi Arabia for what they paid

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and was still developing at that time, he's a great prospect and id have liked him at villa for sure but im reserved on lauding it as an incredible piece of business, long way to go on that yet

a a side - how did england get so deep at right back?

Best chance to be picked by Southgate is to be a RB. Maybe that's why? :D 

• Haha 1

On 04/08/2023 at 22:51, NurembergVillan said:

It'll be like watching Byker Grove while someone hammers rusty nails into a coffee table via your ball bag.

If it's got prime Donna Air in it, I'm watching!

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2023 at 18:54, It's Your Round said:

And what’s wrong with Matthew Targett? ;)

Nothing wrong with him, just not good enough for Champions League campaign

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'd be surprised to see Newcastle not finishing in the top 4 again.

I really wouldn't.  I think I've got them as finishing 7th - not many pundits out there predicting Newcastle for a top 4; if anything, more have Villa finishing higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

I'd be surprised to see Newcastle not finishing in the top 4 again.

I think similar to Man City once they break in they won't leave it.

Will be interesting to see if they have the squad depth to compete for top 4 and in the CL itself. 

They made a charge for top for last season because they weren't in Europe, I think their squad depth is still pretty poor for a CL team.

Â