Christian Benteke

Kwan

Where's this come from? So Man. City have sold Tevez. Some journalist has thrown Benteke's name into a list of possible targets with no concrete signs of interest from the aforementioned plutocrats and suddenly we're getting wound up about how much they will give us when they inevitably lure him away. When I hear they've made a definite bid I'll start to worry.

To be fair, it's just been the obvious link all summer. It will take a large amount of money for us to sell him, Man City have money to burn. I don't think anyone is necessarily getting wound up by it. 

Man City will not overpay for anyone, they walked away from Cavani deal.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play that much, but paying £30m for a 28 year old Fernandinho, not a regular in his national side, sounds a bit like Man City overpaying for a player.

However, I may be proved wrong over the coming season.

• Like 1

Opinion does. Although there's generally a collective accepted market value for someone's ability. It rarely takes other relevant stuff into account though. Like contract length, number of interested sides, motivated seller, motivated player etc. It appears as though we've come to the general conclusion that Benteke is a £25m-30m range player. Which means Citeh would have to pay £35m, naturally :)

Opinion does. Although there's generally a collective accepted market value for someone's ability. It rarely takes other relevant stuff into account though. Like contract length, number of interested sides, motivated seller, motivated player etc. It appears as though we've come to the general conclusion that Benteke is a £25m-30m range player. Which means Citeh would have to pay £35m, naturally :)

Disagree, only performance counts here.

The opinion of internet football forum users decides how much a player is worth? Mean, mode or median? Those averages will vary - a lot!

I'd say the value of a player to a club can only be decided once the player has completed his stay at the club. Some transfers seem cheap, others expensive, but until a player has 'added value' or otherwise to his new club, stating whether a transfer fee is overpaying is premature.

If citeh pay £35m for CB but he gets 30 league goals on the way to the title next season, would they have 'overpaid'?

Of course opinion decides whether a team has overpaid, because it's opinion that has decided what he's worth in the first place. The alternative is that there's some formula you can use to come to a definitive figure on someone's value and that's simply not the case. It's purely subjective. The other other alternative is that it's impossible to overpay for a player because if a team is willing to spend it then that's what he must be worth. But then Andy Carroll walks into the room and everyone goes quiet.

• Like 1

Where's this come from? So Man. City have sold Tevez. Some journalist has thrown Benteke's name into a list of possible targets with no concrete signs of interest from the aforementioned plutocrats and suddenly we're getting wound up about how much they will give us when they inevitably lure him away. When I hear they've made a definite bid I'll start to worry.

Indeed it is only idle speculation.

But if you take a look at the options open to them, and their obvious need for strikers, then it is reasonable to suggest that Benteke's name will atleast crop up in conversation.

Looking at Europe's top goalscorers in 2013 makes grim reading for any club in desperate need of a top striker:

1. Lionel Messi - Not going anywhere.

2. Christiano Ronaldo - Unlikely to leave Madrid, and would probably be heading to the other half of Manchester even if he did.

3. Christian Benteke - Probably available at the right price.

4. Robert Lewandowski - Wants to go to Bayern Munich and probably will do so next summer.

5. Robin Van Persie - Clearly will not be leaving Manchester United.

There is quite a few strikers with a more "proven" track-record around Europe though, and people with more reputation attached to them. Benteke has been here for one season and he has never played in the Champions League. I am not bigging him down, but we know the top clubs are always interested in the total package. A player like Higuain is more popular because he has a big name already and he scores goals for a top team in the Champions League. Higuain was not a favourite for Mourinho, but he did score 38 league goals the last two seasons in 63 games, and I don't know how many of those were as a sub. I don't know where to place Benteke in a list of targets, but in your pick of five players I guess there can be another 15 who would attract as much interest. One absentee is of course Luis Suarez, who is a

better player than Benteke and who has said he wants to leave Liverpool. Say what you want about his want to leave England, I think he just wants to leave Liverpool because he knows they are never going to win anything :)

Indeed it is only idle speculation.

But if you take a look at the options open to them, and their obvious need for strikers, then it is reasonable to suggest that Benteke's name will atleast crop up in conversation.

Looking at Europe's top goalscorers in 2013 makes grim reading for any club in desperate need of a top striker:

1. Lionel Messi - Not going anywhere.

2. Christiano Ronaldo - Unlikely to leave Madrid, and would probably be heading to the other half of Manchester even if he did.

3. Christian Benteke - Probably available at the right price.

4. Robert Lewandowski - Wants to go to Bayern Munich and probably will do so next summer.

5. Robin Van Persie - Clearly will not be leaving Manchester United.

There are a load of other options available to any team with money, all of which would be ready made and less of a gamble.

So overpaying for a player is determined as paying more than an undetermined form of average of the values stated by football fans based on their guesses (hopefully informed) of the players future worth to the new club?

If CB goes for £24m (lower than many appear to think he's worth), but he barely reaches double figures for the next 4 seasons, the buying club will have overpaid.

If CB goes for £35m (higher than many appear to think he's worth), but he scores 20+ per season on the way to winning titles, the buying club will not have overpaid.

I think I'll leave the present tense term of 'overpaying' to others.

Edited by brommy

Man City will not overpay for anyone, they walked away from Cavani deal.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play that much, but paying £30m for a 28 year old Fernandinho, not a regular in his national side, sounds a bit like Man City overpaying for a player.

However, I may be proved wrong over the coming season.

I think I am right in saying that cavani's ridiculous release clause expires 10 August. My personal feeling is that they will go for him after that date and not bother with Benteke - we are not exactly saying 'come and get him' completely the opposite from what I have read.

In regards Robert Lewandowski I would imagine Dortmund would be very keen to sell him to Man City now and avoid him walking out for free to Bayern next Summer.

Dortmund are keeping him and are not going to sell him, they've stated they are happy to let him go on a Bosman next summer.

In regards Robert Lewandowski I would imagine Dortmund would be very keen to sell him to Man City now and avoid him walking out for free to Bayern next Summer.

Dortmund are keeping him and are not going to sell him, they've stated they are happy to let him go on a Bosman next summer.

I think Dortmund's stance is directly aimed to deter Bayern - it's accepted he'll leave so surely it's in their interests to get a fee this season from an overseas club such as Citeh rather than watch him leave for nothing next season to join Bayern?

Although CB fits the bill in as much as he has done it in the premier (albeit only 1 season) I suspect they're looking at a bigger name. 

Let's hope so.

I think Dortmund's stance is directly aimed to deter Bayern - it's accepted he'll leave so surely it's in their interests to get a fee this season from an overseas club such as Citeh rather than watch him leave for nothing next season to join Bayern?

Although CB fits the bill in as much as he has done it in the premier (albeit only 1 season) I suspect they're looking at a bigger name. 

Let's hope so.

I think it's a ploy just to try and attract as many players as possible until the last week of August when they sell him, I can't imagine they're seriously going to allow him to walk off for free next year.

I think he'll end up at Citeh some time in late August

Let's hope so.

http://tinyurl.com/oztrmx8 Dortmund Stance on Lewandowski.

Â