Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think before people start going into hysterics about "how far the club has fallen" or proclaiming that we're a "nothing club" they should wait and see:

a. Whether Benteke is actually sold this summer

b. Who we get in as his replacement

c. How his replacement performs

I think the fact we are letting Bent go must mean we are confident that Benteke will be with us next  season

I'd suggest you don't be so easily convinced by them either

That's a nice assumption you've made about how I form my opinions

I wish it was the media that had me convinced and not the actions and performances of the football club.

I'm just quoting this as I think it's a remarkable thing for a fan to say.

Why? I truly believe we're becoming a nothing club? I'm sure many fans thought the same when Doug was in charge.

If I looked at any other team and saw them struggling to stay in the league and struggling to keep good players I'd think the same. Just because its the team I support and love doesn't mean it's different.

Am I better fan if I ignore what I see and post how great we are?

I won't be going into my reasons with you.

It seems strange that you completely disagree with my opinion of the club but think Weimman leaving would reflect badly on us and are worried about it.

With all due respect Brian,  it isn't just a "stage" we have been this way for years.

Yeah I know but our latest Lambert project might have us going somewhere. Let's just see.

If we start to go somewhere,  do you think we will retain the manager?  Or the players he recruits to help us?  No chance

Great manager,  wanted him at this club ,  love the players he has signed but I do not think we are going to get longevity out of him or the players.  we are not that club.

The Atkinson project,  the Little project,  the Gregory project,  The MON project. 

None of these delivered or meant we retained our talent.  Platt financed Atkinson,  Sky financed Little,  Yorke financed Gregory,  Lerner temporarily financed MON.  We need constant finance I'm afraid that is the game currently .  Money attracts and money retains.

We haven't got it yet we were promised a bright future

• Like 1

Well, we knew Christian Benteke was ambitious, the way he left Genk was acrimonious, and he said when he arrived here that we were a stepping stone. 

Whatever happens we're in a win-win situation. Ideally he signs a new contract, stays and further increases his value. If not, he leaves this summer for what you would expect to be an extortionate fee. 

He can be bullish and say 'Villa can't force me stay', but we can, if the right offer doesn't come in for the club, he won't be sold. If he tantrums and plays badly, then more than likely he'll never get his 'dream' move to a big club, so it isn't in his best interests to do that. 

Whatever happens, we'll be alright. 

• Like 1

If Benteke did actually say what he's quoted to have said then he's bang out of order.

We gave him the platform to play in the greatest league in the world and even if he does want to leave he shouldn't be giving interviews like that it shows a complete lack of respect for our club and fans.

I honestly thought he was better than this.

Atletico could be great move for us, they are expecting 60 million from Falcao and if want Benteke no reason we cant get 30-40 for him. they paid similar amount for Falcao

• Like 1

I'd suggest you don't be so easily convinced by them either

That's a nice assumption you've made about how I form my opinions

I wish it was the media that had me convinced and not the actions and performances of the football club.

You do speaka de Engrish? YOU said "I think every neutral fan and most of the media would disagree" with my assertion that we're not a nothing club. I suggested they shouldn't influence you and you said I made an assumption on that. Your inability to follow a basic line of discussion without forgetting what you said 1 post earlier is precisely why it's pointless talking to you or going into why I think one way or the other on any given topic. See ya now.
  • Like 1

If Benteke did actually say what he's quoted to have said then he's bang out of order.

We gave him the platform to play in the greatest league in the world and even if he does want to leave he shouldn't be giving interviews like that it shows a complete lack of respect for our club and fans.

He's a professional footballer looking out for his career and his own ambitions.  He is not a fan.

Bang out of order? Sorry that's just naive

Villa could Slide all the way down into Sunday league football but they will never ever be a Nothing Club.

Sorry double post!

Edited by NIVillan

I think before people start going into hysterics about "how far the club has fallen" or proclaiming that we're a "nothing club" they should wait and see:

a. Whether Benteke is actually sold this summer

b. Who we get in as his replacement

c. How his replacement performs

I think the fact we are letting Bent go must mean we are confident that Benteke will be with us next  season

Not so sure of that. Think regardless of whether Benteke goes or not, Bent just does not fit into the way Lambert wants us to play.

Think the options are that Benteke stays and we bring in a back up player in the same mould or he goes and we replace him and bring in a back up. In both scenarios Bent goes.

• Like 1

Which is why it seems odd. Hes built a good relationship with our fans, for him to turn around and make it seem like he doesn't want to be here and won't be forced to stay is ridiculous. He signed his contract, nobody had a gun to his head I'm sure.

He's a professional footballer looking out for his career and his own ambitions.  He is not a fan.

It's unprofessional, but then, footballers are no longer professional. 

Maybe i am being naive, maybe i'm not.

I don't care if he's not a fan he still shouldn't be giving interviews like that. There are other ways he can better his career without resorting to these measures.

With all due respect Brian,  it isn't just a "stage" we have been this way for years.

Yeah I know but our latest Lambert project might have us going somewhere. Let's just see.

If we start to go somewhere,  do you think we will retain the manager?  Or the players he recruits to help us?  No chance

Great manager,  wanted him at this club ,  love the players he has signed but I do not think we are going to get longevity out of him or the players.  we are not that club.

The Atkinson project,  the Little project,  the Gregory project,  The MON project. 

None of these delivered or meant we retained our talent.  Platt financed Atkinson,  Sky financed Little,  Yorke financed Gregory,  Lerner temporarily financed MON.  We need constant finance I'm afraid that is the game currently .  Money attracts and money retains.

We haven't got it yet we were promised a bright future

Atkinson was sacked after a bad run, Little walked out because the pressure was too great, and Gregory was too limited. Villa are a big club for Lambert I don't see him walking because there aren't that many jobs out there bigger than Villa. We have to have hope that one day Villa can be a top 4 club without it what is the point of it all?

You do speaka de Engrish? YOU said "I think every neutral fan and most of the media would disagree" with my assertion that we're not a nothing club. I suggested they shouldn't influence you and you said I made an assumption on that. Your inability to follow a basic line of discussion without forgetting what you said 1 post earlier is precisely why it's pointless talking to you or going into why I think one way or the other on any given topic. See ya now.

I think if I posted something like this I'd be given a warning post.

Mentioning neutral fans and the media was to show plenty of others outside of villa fans think the same.

Not once did I say they were the reason I've reached my conclusion.

So maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Lets just wait and see eh ?

He's obviously going to attract a lot of speculation because of the season he's had but we still hold all the cards in this one. He has 3 years left on his contract and there could even be a bidding war for him which could drive the price up.

If he does go, then we have money to strengthen the team. Spurs sold Berbatov, Carrick and Modric in past seasons, invested the money wisely and have grown as a club. We have a manager now who has a plan and can clearly spot a player for a decent price so lets not panic just yet

Â