Christian Benteke

Kwan

It's amazing that people are slamming Benteke. Yes, his finishing was wayward in the So'ton game but all strikers suffer that occasionally, especially when they are carrying the team.

The headers he wins and his physical presence make him a real threat. If the team around him wasn't totally sh1te...

I think the only problem is that he missed sitters in the Bradford game as well. People are getting on to him because he has missed sitters now in two consecutive games.

I agree though i think he sets up quite a few chances with his head ons etc... We need him in the team, we just have to hope maybe those sitters fall to other players like Weimann or Gabby who can just put them away. (HOPEFULLY)

It's amazing that people are slamming Benteke. Yes, his finishing was wayward in the So'ton game but all strikers suffer that occasionally,

He came to us with a reputation for missing chances and needing 5 or more chances per goal. So far he has shown that he's exactly as predicted, a half decent big man with poor finishing skills. He's worth the ~£8m we paid for him, but not alot more.

I think the only problem is that he missed sitters in the Bradford game as well. People are getting on to him because he has missed sitters now in two consecutive games.

I agree though i think he sets up quite a few chances with his head ons etc... We need him in the team, we just have to hope maybe those sitters fall to other players like Weimann or Gabby who can just put them away. (HOPEFULLY)

I'm not sure i'd agree with gabby being better than benteke at finishing at all... the difference especially being that benteke gets in the positions. Gabby doesn't.

He came to us with a reputation for missing chances and needing 5 or more chances per goal. So far he has shown that he's exactly as predicted, a half decent big man with poor finishing skills. He's worth the ~£8m we paid for him, but not alot more.

Half decent big man? I'd say he's an absolutely brilliant "big man". The flicks, the touch, the headers that find their target 9 times out of 10. The way he can chest a ball down, any ball, floated 50 yards or smacked at his chest from 10. The little backheels and the endless running. Very good movement too, very good.

If he can ever learn to finish with any kind of regularity he's going to be world class. If he'd scored in either of those games we would all be waxing lyrical about how astonishing he is again. A little bit of luck here and there and he would have, a couple of the saves in those games were real top drawer. He also ballsed one or two up, I think he's feeling a little pressure and trying to be too cute. It's coachable, he has the technique.

I'd say luck combined with opposing skill and the occasional Heskey like fluffed chance are holding him back at the moment. He'll come good again in that regard, he just needs to keep plugging away. I remember when people used to say the same about Crouch, that he'd never be able to finish for toffee, they were wrong. He isn't HALF the player Benteke is.

I think he's great, we're lucky to have him.

• Like 1

Half decent big man? I'd say he's an absolutely brilliant "big man". The flicks, the touch, the headers that find their target 9 times out of 10. The way he can chest a ball down, any ball, floated 50 yards or smacked at his chest from 10. The little backheels and the endless running. Very good movement too, very good.

If he can ever learn to finish with any kind of regularity he's going to be world class. If he'd scored in either of those games we would all be waxing lyrical about how astonishing he is again. A little bit of luck here and there and he would have, a couple of the saves in those games were real top drawer. He also ballsed one or two up, I think he's feeling a little pressure and trying to be too cute. It's coachable, he has the technique.

I'd say luck combined with opposing skill and the occasional Heskey like fluffed chance are holding him back at the moment. He'll come good again in that regard, he just needs to keep plugging away. I remember when people used to say the same about Crouch, that he'd never be able to finish for toffee, they were wrong. He isn't HALF the player Benteke is.

I think he's great, we're lucky to have him.

Absolutely spot on. I have watched Villa with a few mates who support other teams and the only positive they ever give Villa (this season) is "that Benteke is an absolute threat" or something similar. He scares defenses.

I really think he is one of the best headers (when you factor in heading, strength, consistency of winning aerial 50:50s) that I have seen in the premier league. If you remember Drogba when he came to Chelsea, he was mocked for his inconsistency and fluffed chances. But he always had that brute strength and raw threat, which is exactly what Benteke has. Because of his size and strength, it's easy to forget that he's only 22 - give him time. If he was in a better team (i.e. Spurs) he would be shining even more brightly due to the service he'd be getting and the assists he'd be credited with from better players who would finish his knock-downs.

As the last guy said, we're lucky to have him.

If he can ever learn to finish with any kind of regularity he's going to be world class.

That's the point though. If he was able to finish he really would be a top player but ironically if he ever does improve his finishing then we won't be able to keep him. I don't think finishing and composure in front of goal is something you learn though. I can't remember any striker who was a really poor finisher at the age of 21 (if that his correct age...Kanu/martins/Vieira etc.) and went on to improve and become a 15+ goal a season man. He's a good player, probably our best player but people are getting carried away with how good he is IMO.

Was poor in front of goal yesterday. Also, people go on about his work rate. I thought he was quite lazy at times. Could have busted a gut to get on the of a couple of crosses but just stood there hoping for the ball to come to him.

I think there is a lot of talent in there. But, he looks like Drogba for two games and Heskey for four games. Needs to work on his game for sure!

You forget the fact that drogba was a nonamer in the league 2 @ benteke's age i have the feeling that much ppl here forget how young the guy is he looks 30 but he's **** 22 i am really shocked by the fact that everyone is so angry on Benteke without him there wouldnt even been so much chanses i thought u guys were nice ppl but i dont know what to think now dont be so ungratefull to him :S it isnt all his fault he shouldnt hav to be a defender in the corners you get wer he conceaved goals he isnt a defender he hasnt got the defender instict to defend goals he is a striker dont let him mark ppl just because he is so big im a very dissapointed in some of you =( The guy comes from the belgium league give him time to addapt please

i think you should put benteke on the bench to see what villa is without him

Edited by Belgian guy
  • Like 1

it isnt all his fault he shouldnt hav to be a defender in the corners you get wer he conceaved goals he isnt a defender he hasnt got the defender instict to defend goals

Hmm I disagree, it's a team game and at the end of the day he is part of the team.. pick up a man and deal with that player.

good first half

usless 2nd

but dont blame him as have no idea why lambert took off delph and n zogbia who were both outstanding stupid move unless both were injured

Delph was limping around so one would assume he was injured. The N'Zogbia sub was odd though.

Â