Christian Benteke

Kwan

If he could have taken a first touch at Fulham then he would have hit the target i'm sure.

Granted, albeit his shot at fulham was inches wide, same shot he put in for goal 2 at Swindon. In fact his goal vs Norwich was low into that corner too albeit more placed than whipped

lol I firmly believe that some of the nonsense on here is down to video games.

This is one of the most condescending quotes i have ever seen on VT. It assumes that those who don't conform with general opinion must somehow be influenced by video games. I'm sure that we all are intelligent enough to know what is make believe and what is reality.
  • Like 1

We cannot play Bent and Benteke together in the same team, simply because our midfield is not strong enough.

Right now I believe we have to play with 3 central midfielders, one a little more advanced (Ireland) simply because we are so poor in that area.

Benteke looks good though, we need some good wingers to provide him with good service. Would love Milner, Young and Downing back here.

Sigh.

lol I firmly believe that some of the nonsense on here is down to video games.

This is one of the most condescending quotes i have ever seen on VT. It assumes that those who don't conform with general opinion must somehow be influenced by video games.

No it's doesn't. At all.

I've highlighted the important bit for you.

And fwiw I think he's totally right.

• Like 1

It's a bit far fetched. There were similar claims last summer that the UK riots were partly down to COD.

I think patience levels have been distorted due to the non stop Sky5 media barrage then Barcelona Sunday evenings.

We cannot play Bent and Benteke together in the same team, simply because our midfield is not strong enough.

Right now I believe we have to play with 3 central midfielders, one a little more advanced (Ireland) simply because we are so poor in that area.

Benteke looks good though, we need some good wingers to provide him with good service. Would love Milner, Young and Downing back here.

Sigh.

I would like to play 4-3-3 one winger, one inside forward, one centre forward...midfield 2 ball winners and one creative midfielder one ball winner to have a tendency to go forward the other as the insurance man to protect the back four. We need to recruit in midfield imo

No it's doesn't. At all.

I've highlighted the important bit for you.

And fwiw I think he's totally right.

I would hope that ALL posters on here would know the difference between video games and reality and I certainly do not believe he is right.

their is a lot of people(not just this forum) that have their opinions clouded by Football Manager these days. Its all connected for me to the short-term opinion of a lot of football fans. e.g players and managers been written off after a couple of games

• Like 1

I would hope that ALL posters on here would know the difference between video games and reality and I certainly do not believe he is right.

But that's not what he's saying.

What he's saying is games like football manager have sort fo warped the perceptions of signing players.

You see it every transfer window, people asking (not just on VT) why transfers aren't done and dusted in a few hours.

They've always taken a long time. It's just that people get this perception that you whack in a bid, it gets accepted, player accepts the contract and you're all done.

People tend to overlook other factors like, as we've mentioned, settling in and personal negotiations and other red tape and hoops that need to be jumped through for transfers to happen.

No-one's saying that people can't tell the difference between real life and video games. All that's being said is that it can give us a warped perception of what is actually involved in football SOMETIMES.

As Pangloss said, SOME of the nonsense on here is down to video games. An easy example, I've seen more than a few times the phrase "he's good on football manager" (seriously) used as justification for interest in a player. That right there, is nonsense.

Well, you would hope so. What do you attribute the tendency fo some posters on here to want everything now to? Like, there are some who think a manager can come in and turn around a shambles of a football club in less than ten games. There are others who expect a kid from Belgium to have somehow deliverrd more than he has done already.

I know form experience that playing these games, if I sign a star player I expect him to tick immediately, he is a creature made of statistics who doesnt require a settling in period. If I take over a struggling club I can look on various forums and find a formula for turning that club around. If I fail, I reload.

It seems to me as if this is the attitude that certain posters have on here, wouldnt you agree? It seems as if some posters have forgotten that football is a game involving people, people exactly the same as you or me

• Like 3

Well, you would hope so. What do you attribute the tendency fo some posters on here to want everything now to? Like, there are some who think a manager can come in and turn around a shambles of a football club in less than ten games. There are others who expect a kid from Belgium to have somehow deliverrd more than he has done already.

I know form experience that playing these games, if I sign a star player I expect him to tick immediately, he is a creature made of statistics who doesnt require a settling in period. If I take over a struggling club I can look on various forums and find a formula for turning that club around. If I fail, I reload.

It seems to me as if this is the attitude that certain posters have on here, wouldnt you agree? It seems as if some posters have forgotten that football is a game involving people, people exactly the same as you or me

Astute post Bozzy. I think Big Chris has been very good thus far. I think we've got a real talent on our hands, who IMO will continue to improve as he learns this league ...

• Like 1

To be honest: I was one of O'Neill's biggest fans, and I though that he was right in bringing in established PL players. The reason was that I think it often will take at least a half season, maybe even a whole one, before the foreign players can settle in. And I wanted instant effect in our play. Add in that foreign players like Berson, Balaban etc never made it, I had a scpetical view on these players.

I now see that the reason that we are in this mess is the fact that we bought the established PL players, who demanded unreasonable wages to come, and whose clubs demanded unreasonable fees. I think we should buy foreign talent (and lower league talent) and as a consequense of this, I am prepared to give all these players time. From a half season to a whole one. And we know that some of them will not be up for it. That is the downside of looking at players outside the PL. But the good thing is that our losses will be smaller than when a PL player does not fit in (which has also happened).

• Like 1

To be honest: I was one of O'Neill's biggest fans, and I though that he was right in bringing in established PL players. The reason was that I think it often will take at least a half season, maybe even a whole one, before the foreign players can settle in. And I wanted instant effect in our play. Add in that foreign players like Berson, Balaban etc never made it, I had a scpetical view on these players.

I now see that the reason that we are in this mess is the fact that we bought the established PL players, who demanded unreasonable wages to come, and whose clubs demanded unreasonable fees. I think we should buy foreign talent (and lower league talent) and as a consequense of this, I am prepared to give all these players time. From a half season to a whole one. And we know that some of them will not be up for it. That is the downside of looking at players outside the PL. But the good thing is that our losses will be smaller than when a PL player does not fit in (which has also happened).

what about some balance though?

maybe some from other divisions / abroad but there is nothing wrong with getting a couple established good players from the premier league also. it doesnt need to be all or nothing.

their is a lot of people(not just this forum) that have their opinions clouded by Football Manager these days. Its all connected for me to the short-term opinion of a lot of football fans. e.g players and managers been written off after a couple of games

If that is directed at me, i have never played Football Manager or any other football game on a games console and thats why such a statement is so condescending.

Â