Christian Benteke

Kwan

We are just a feeder club for the CL teams.

So is everyone else in the division - that's the way football has been for a very long time, everyone except the very few elite clubs are a 'feeder club' for another tier of team. I'd rather be a feeder club for them than a feeder club for say, the Europa league teams. It's actually a pretty good place to be in the grand scheme of football. This sort of negative mantra is pathetic IMO - what should we do? Not sign anybody young and decent for the fear that they might be snapped up later? The fact is, if he goes, we'll get a massive amount of money that can be reinvested into the side and improve us so that we can get closer to them. That's how it works.

Nobody is saying he'll be the next Messi, not least because of his size. But he certainly does look like a fantastic prospect and there's nothing wrong in saying that.

I agree, I think he does like a fantastic prospect too - but that isn't the main reason I'm heckling the people who wanted to deride him based on bugger all minutes of football in the grand scheme of things.

We should get rid of Benteke and re-sign Heskey actually. Benteke may have skill but he doesn't have EXPERIENCE, and we all know that is by far the most important quality a player can have. If you haven't got tons of Premier League experience you're nothing. I propose that from now on we only sign players over 30 years old with at least 250 Premier League games under their belt.

We should get rid of Benteke and re-sign Heskey actually. Benteke may have skill but he doesn't have EXPERIENCE, and we all know that is by far the most important quality a player can have. If you haven't got tons of Premier League experience you're nothing. I propose that from now on we only sign players over 30 years old with at least 250 Premier League games under their belt.

unusual_sarcasm_notice.jpg

Here here.

The fact is, if he goes, we'll get a massive amount of money that can be reinvested into the side and improve us so that we can get closer to them. That's how it works.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes that's exactly how it's worked for us over the past few years.

Thanks for sharing that fact.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes that's exactly how it's worked for us over the past few years.

Thanks for sharing that fact.

Do you mean you wanted to see RL hand Houllier & Eck 50m kittys each on top of MON's remaining dead wood high earners who also remained here.

Bent money came from the sale(s) of A.Young & Downing money.

Im glad they got bugger all to spend. Imagine the type of players we would have now with the type of players they signed between them.

a load of Makoun, Bradley, Pires, Jenas, Hutton type players! We should have went out and gave the crock Joe Cole 100k a week while we were at it to make it more interesting.

:::Shudders::::

No surprises that when we attack down the wings and provide crosses that Benteke scores two goals. Our problem with lack of goals this season is due to how narrow we have been playing.

Players like Bent and Benteke simply thrive on crosses - Benteke's movement and intelligence from crosses has been clear - we must do more of this.

Morpheus you display a strange 'Morpheus against the world' attitude. I bet a part of you was a little annoyed at Benteke winning us the game yesterday. It's best to enjoy these rare wins.

Not annoyed mate, actually a little apprehensive as i knew i would get slaughtered on here due to my opinion on him but i was really happy with the win and will state again that if Benteke continues to score for us on a regular basis i will gladly admit i was wrong.

As for the 'Morpheus against the world' attitude it might seem that way but just really putting my own very humble opinion forward.

'07-'08: Genk - 1 goal/10 apps (.100 g/g)

'09-'11: Standard Liege - 3/18 (.167 g/g)

'09-'10: (loan) Kortrijk - 15/34 (.441 g/g)

'10-'11: (loan) Mechelen - 6/18 (.333 g/g)

'11-'12: Genk - 19/37 (.513 g/g)

'12 - : Aston Villa - 4/8 (.500 g/g)

Note the general increasing trend...

Because it is hard for a young man to settle at a new club, doubly hard if it is another country, triply hard if it is your first time living outside your home country. This means that if you look at him objectively, as a human being rather than a character in a computer game, it is fair to assume that he is settling in, sorting out his new house/flat, finding his feet, learning the language etc. It is normal under such circumstances to cut a guy a bit of slack. He is also 21, which is very young. it is usual for strikers especially at that age to be a bit rough and ready, it is an exceptional talent indeed that looks comfortable at this level at such a young age. So for yet another reason, any fair and rational observer is going to cut the lad some slack. Frankly, anyone slagging him off, even if he was playing like a donkey every week, would be being harsh in the extreme.

The thing is, he snit playing like a donkey. He has scored four goals in what, seven starts? He has missed some good chances, but all strikers do. The trick to being a striker is to get the chances. Anyone will tell you that you worry about strikers when they arent getting chances, not when they are getting them and missing them.

And thats just for Villa. He is also currently spearheading the attack for one of the best national teams in Europe. He has this season scored three goals in four starts (?). one of those goals was against Holland, another against Serbia. I have a sneaky feeling that both of those teams are better than Swindon. Imagine if he was English? imagine if he had come through our youth system and was as a 21 year old banging them in for club and country, the kid would be a national and club hero. The fact that he is doing all this while going through what I stated in my opening paragraph would surely make anyone sit up and take notice and go, you know what? This boy has every chance of being the real deal.

Does that answer your question?

I think he is going to be a quality player and easily our best signing of the summer.

But I still think predicting greatness or predicting failure after the same amount of games is the same thing.

Â