Christian Benteke

Kwan

If I'm Benteke the last thing I'm doing is signing a new deal with Villa.  Absolute worst case is you play out the one you've got and walk away with your pick of clubs in 2 years time.

• Like 4

If I'm Benteke the last thing I'm doing is signing a new deal with Villa.  Absolute worst case is you play out the one you've got and walk away with your pick of clubs in 2 years time.

Yup it wouldn't surprise me if this happens. 

Yup it wouldn't surprise me if this happens. 

Unless we offered him a massive payrise, into the £100,000+ bracket, that would make a big difference to his salary and still have the release clause that becomes active in a year or two. That would make a difference i think, perhaps not enough of one albeit.

(Still convinced he's going to leave this summer though).

But over 2 years he'd also be £5m poorer, which is not insignificant. I suppose the gamble is that he could make that up in signing on fees if he moves on a free, but its a lot of money to risk.

I actually think the contract offer is a good move. If he signs it, great but most importantly what this offer does is starts the ball rolling. I said in a previous post that if he stays or goes it needs to be done fast so we can sort out the club ready for the new season. 

So for me this new contract offer says, were making steps to keep him, if you want him come and get him. So I like to think this is a clever move by the Villa board to basically get the issue sorted asap. 

It's no good him staying if we don't buy quality to support him

Course it is. If we don't buy the quality to go around him, he's one of the only players we've got who could keep us up!

Teams will spend the whole season doubling up on him knowing we have about 10 goals in the rest of the team

Edited by dakid007

Would anyone take him signing a new deal with the release clause raised only slightly, say to £35 million?

I think Benteke is capable of being one of the best strikers in Europe but I can't see us getting much more than £35 million for him.

how do you know it isn't already £35m ?

best I can see £ 32.5m was a figure the telegraph plucked out the air and everyone has accepted as fact .. it could be £50m for all we know and why we aren't seeing any bids , just subtle tapping up by Belgium players

I don't understand your reasoning. Regardless of how many people mark him we'd still be a better team with him in it.

Not if the benteke money is reinvested to make us a better team
Yeah but that's not what you said lol

This is Kismet and Benteke just playing silly buggers like last summer.

Kick off a fuss in the press and say you want to leave.

Hey presto, new contract with payrise, Kismet gets a cut, everyone is happy.  Can you blame them i'd do the same if I was an agent?

• Like 1

This is Kismet and Benteke just playing silly buggers like last summer.

Kick off a fuss in the press and say you want to leave.

Hey presto, new contract with payrise, Kismet gets a cut, everyone is happy.  Can you blame them i'd do the same if I was an agent?

Or you get a big money move with the same cut. It's going to happen again and again and again unless we get into the Champions League...

Except that in what he believed to be a private conversation with another Premier League manager, Kismet specifically said that Benteke would not be signing a new contract and would be doing everything legal to leave Villa.  So I don't think they're playing silly buggers in this particular instance.

Except that in what he believed to be a private conversation with another Premier League manager, Kismet specifically said that Benteke would not be signing a new contract and would be doing everything legal to leave Villa.  So I don't think they're playing silly buggers in this particular instance.

This time last year hadn't he already handed in a transfer request? Then Paul Lambert and Faulkner managed to persuade him to stay within 2 days back at the club?  Both not exactly renowned for their charisma and persuasion ??

Each contract Benteke signs = a cut for Kismet.  We don't know either how close Benteke is with Kismet, perhaps they're just milking us.  Got no issue with this if he stays and performs !!

Will wait and see anyway, not believing anything until it's on the official site, done that too many times over the past 4 years :(

He will go, and I will wish him all the best, he's clearly too good to arse around at the bottom of the league and he's given us three years of spectacular goals in the process. It's his time in the food chain to move on up so to speak. No hard feelings, and I think it'll be good for us to look to develop tactics that don't revolve around one player, if we can balance the side out and draw goals from midfield as well that's what we need. Spend the cash on two forwards and a midfielder and we've got a good chance of using it wisely. Admittedly, history isn't exactly great for us in re-investing cash, but I think it's better to face the reality: offer him an amazing contract sure - if he wanted to stay - amazing and we ought to do what we can to induce him to stay, but realistically, after the internationals sit him and get a firm answer by the end of the month and look to ensure any exit is done swiftly by early July so we can move on.

• Like 1

Â