Christian Benteke

Kwan

Will it really be an issue, it is a job to the players, sure they understand that he wants to move onto a club which at present has better prospects. Not sure it will be awkward at all.

Exactly, shouldn't be an issue at all really. In normal life it's akin to someone handing in their notice and everyone being told and that person is leaving and then working with said person for the next 4 weeks. The only difference is Benteke doesn't know who his next employer is (or atleast he shouldn't know at this stage).

Some think it's his job. If I signed a four year contract and wanted to bail after one year... it's not gonna be a good move.

It makes a mockery of having contracts for longer than a year.

Yes, these guys have guaranteed contracts. They should be honoured.
If everyone honoured their contracts there would be no transfer fees.

I suppose you wish Stephen Ireland and Shay Given to honour their contracts too and stay?

Well that's what all the useless players are doing. It has to be both ways. If we're stuck with the contracts of the aforementioned, we should be able to hang onto the good ones aswell. Otherwise building up a decent squad will be very difficult. Even Lambert is not going to get all of them right.

Regarding transfers: It is difficult to make it all fair, I agree.

Edited by AVTuco

Will it really be an issue, it is a job to the players, sure they understand that he wants to move onto a club which at present has better prospects. Not sure it will be awkward at all.

Exactly, shouldn't be an issue at all really. In normal life it's akin to someone handing in their notice and everyone being told and that person is leaving and then working with said person for the next 4 weeks. The only difference is Benteke doesn't know who his next employer is (or atleast he shouldn't know at this stage).

Football isn't normal life and it isn't an office job.

this is the most ive ever been intreagued about a training session... :blink:

I thought some off here would've went to BH today now the school holidays have started. They could've done live updates.

Will it really be an issue, it is a job to the players, sure they understand that he wants to move onto a club which at present has better prospects.  Not sure it will be awkward at all.

This.

He is 22 years old and probably more worried about getting his hands on a PS4 than his immediate future.

He has taken advice, whether good or bad, and acted accordingly. He will turn up for training with the first team squad and be welcomed by Paul Lambert as such.

What will be, will be, but I don't think that it will affect day to day training one iota.

Yeah like none of the baggies players cared when odemwinge tried to leave. Of course it will be awkward, they are a tight nit group all buying into lamberts plans, Benteke doesn't want to part of it so it will feel a little strange. Just because they earn good money doesnt mean they are devoid of feelings.

Just don't agree, it is not a cult. the players do not care the same way fans do.  It is a job to them, I do not get upset when someone in the office I work in goes for a better job.

Football isn't normal life and it isn't an office job.

It is a normal job if you are a footballer.

Can't believe some on VT actually believe Rooney to Spuds is a possibility when we've just criticised a spud's supporter for being arrogant concerning the current stature of his club in relation to purchasing Benteke.

The main difference between the scenario you described and Benteke's situation is that Benteke doesn't know if he is leaving, which is the entire reason it is difficult.

Will it really be an issue, it is a job to the players, sure they understand that he wants to move onto a club which at present has better prospects.  Not sure it will be awkward at all.

This.

He is 22 years old and probably more worried about getting his hands on a PS4 than his immediate future.

He has taken advice, whether good or bad, and acted accordingly. He will turn up for training with the first team squad and be welcomed by Paul Lambert as such.

What will be, will be, but I don't think that it will affect day to day training one iota.

Yeah like none of the baggies players cared when odemwinge tried to leave. Of course it will be awkward, they are a tight nit group all buying into lamberts plans, Benteke doesn't want to part of it so it will feel a little strange. Just because they earn good money doesnt mean they are devoid of feelings.

Just don't agree, it is not a cult. the players do not care the same way fans do.  It is a job to them, I do not get upset when someone in the office I work in goes for a better job.

It simple isn't the same as an office job. Why release an article about sylla having to help intergrate him back into the squad if there wasn't some ill feeling towards him from certain players.

Edited by villan_007

This.

What if they're really hot?

Will be interesting to see whether lambert has benteke training with the first team today or not - thats if he trains at all of course.

I should think he will. I imagine there will be a meeting between the two either before or after the session as well to discuss where things stand.

Lambert will probably have him in for a chat and assess his frame of mind before training - if he's prepared to knuckle down then let him stay with the squad but if he's sulking or looking to go then stick him with the likes of Ireland and co -

We don't want any bad feeling getting through to the main squad.

Edited by Eastie

Well if I were a Villa player being a Villa fan with it (such as Gabby) I'd find it hard to act as though nothing happened.

To be honest, as much as Gabby obviously loves the club, I'd imagine if Spurs were offering 20 odd million for him and offering to triple his wages, he'd probably be making the move himself.

Do you think the players will not talk to Benteke? or that they will be upset with them?.  I can maybe see lambert not being too happy with him but that is about it.  they will just get on with it.

The way I see it too.

I'm sure some of his closer colleagues will be having a chat and possibly even a friendly dig with CB in the changing room, whilst some of the shyer players listen in, but once they are out training they'll but getting a sweat on without thinking about much else. Fortunately PL will have had plenty of time to think over exactly how he wants to deal with the situation so there shouldn't be a danger of confrontation caused by knee-jerk behaviour.

This.

It simple isn't the same as an office job. Why release an article about sylla having to help intergrate him back into the squad if there wasn't some ill feeling towards him from certain players.

Some media hack puts a story out to fill some space.  I would imagine he will turn up, some of the players will makea joke about him being in the wrong changing room, ask him if he needs to a sat nav as he should be in London etc

Well if I were a Villa player being a Villa fan with it (such as Gabby) I'd find it hard to act as though nothing happened.

To be honest, as much as Gabby obviously loves the club, I'd imagine if Spurs were offering 20 odd million for him and offering to triple his wages, he'd probably be making the move himself.

Exactly.  If spurs came in for any of our players they would be willing to make the move.

Do you think? I think I recall him being linked to Arsenal when he was younger. But yeah gabby leaving us would break my heart lol.

Â