Christian Benteke

Kwan

One thing that should be in our favour regarding the fee is Benteke's superb fitness record. Incredible to think for his debut season in England he didn't actually miss a game through injury, only two he didn't start were Swansea which was his debut and Fulham which was right after international games and of course Wigan through suspension.

Just some comparisons, Carroll of course who regularly misses 2-3 months a few times in his career and Suarez who has accumulated 15 game ban from the last 18 months.

Interesting point made on (spits) H&V

Benteke handing in a transfer request relinquishes his rights to 15% (which equates to around £4.5mil of a £30mil fee

Players don't get 15% of transfer fees if they get sold without asking for a transfer, they do however receive the balance of the wages lleft owing to them on there contract, in cb case, 3 years at 20k a week is about £3million

I don't think its quite as simple as that these days with all the crap that gets written into contracts.I'm sure most contracts will be drawn up with a percentage of any future transfer fee going to the player (although 15% is probably unrealistic)

The point is,if Benteke would have been entitled to a cut (be it 3.5mil,4.5mil or whatever),it would explain the comparatively low figure of £25mil that is being bandied about.

It is quite feasible that during discussions with Benteke & his agent,Villa would have intimated a figure that THEY want should he move on.This would explain Bentekes quotes of "something happening  where all parties would win".He's sacrificed his transfer bonus in order to earn double or triple the amount over a 4 year period.In addition,there will probably be a nice signing on fee to boot.In terms of finance,

He's probably the biggest revenue earner for the club in our history, lets say we sell for £30m , that's £23m profit in 10 months plus without his goals we'd be down in the championship so that's another £60m income due to him.

That's very roughly about £275k revenue for every day he's been with us. Amazing.

• Like 1

I still think he'll be with us next season, I just don't think anybody will spend the money to buy him. While the massive respect of what he's done this season, big teams will want to see if he can do it a second season. Of the other teams, Liverpool won't do another Carroll even if Suarez leaves, Levy won't spend that kind of money unless Bale leaves so unless we drop our pants and sell for 20m then I just can't see it. So it's either abroad or staying with us....maybe I'm being naive but I still see him here next season but definitely gone then if he has another good season....

I still think he'll be with us next season, I just don't think anybody will spend the money to buy him. While the massive respect of what he's done this season, big teams will want to see if he can do it a second season. Of the other teams, Liverpool won't do another Carroll even if Suarez leaves, Levy won't spend that kind of money unless Bale leaves so unless we drop our pants and sell for 20m then I just can't see it. So it's either abroad or staying with us....maybe I'm being naive but I still see him here next season but definitely gone then if he has another good season....

he's worth £30 million + to us and we have no reason to sell for any less. I still think he's mainly trying to get a better pay deal with us or see who comes in for him. I'm not convinced he actually wants out, after all he seemed to enjoy the games he played for us and got on well with team mates and fans etc. 

Asking for a transfer is the best way for him to get what he wants / better wages etc. .If he replicates or improves on last season maybe a ridiculous offer in January could prise him away, however we could be pushing for Europe / silverware ourselves this year  :rolleyes:  :D

he's worth £30 million + to us and we have no reason to sell for any less. I still think he's mainly trying to get a better pay deal with us or see who comes in for him. I'm not convinced he actually wants out, after all he seemed to enjoy the games he played for us and got on well with team mates and fans etc. 

Asking for a transfer is the best way for him to get what he wants / better wages etc. .If he replicates or improves on last season maybe a ridiculous offer in January could prise him away, however we could be pushing for Europe / silverware ourselves this year  :rolleyes:  :D

Thing is, the club are in a sticky position whilst they have people like Bent and Ireland sitting around doing nout for 60+ k a week, and we are offering our best player and one that arguably saved the club millions by scoring the goals to keep us up, is offered considerably less.

All it does is give his weasel Agent something to bite on.

Edited by MagicMushroom

why shouldnt benteke get 60k/week like ireland 

Thing is, the club are in a sticky position whilst they have people like Bent and Ireland sitting around doing nout for 60+ k a week, and we are offering our best player and one that arguably saved the club millions by scoring the goals to keep us up, is offered considerably less.

tbh i really don't get why that ireland guy gets 60K/week and benteke got only offered 40K? he singlehanded saved villa from relegation. while ireland was watching him do that from te **** bench...

Hmmmmmmmmmm - I don't think theres a cat in hells chance he will be villa player next season.  Sadly for all the demonisation of his agent - painful as it is , theres a high probability that Bentekke is very keen on a move away from VP ............All IMO of course.

tbh i really don't get why that ireland guy gets 60K/week and benteke got only offered 40K? he singlehanded saved villa from relegation. while ireland was watching him do that from te **** bench...

Benteke did not single handedly save Villa-He had a good season & scored a lot of goals (mostly against the weaker sides) Bent would have got into double figures so we're talking about a handful of extra goals.

Ireland was already on this wage when we signed him from Man City-He was part exchange for Milner & Man City are subsidising Irelands wage.

Nobody forced Benteke to accept £20k.He was happy enough to accept this 10 months ago.

Every team in the Premiership are running at a loss-More than half of them pay less in wages than Villa do

Thing is that bent, ireland and others were all part of previous regime's dealings PL cannot change those and has signed up to Lerner's new model for the club. With a new wage structure in place we would have off - loaded some these first before addressing what Benteke is really worth to us in terms of wages. 

He's forced the issue somewhat and will obviously get a hefty pay rise from somewhere. His agent would benefit most from a move elsewhere and as Benteke is his main client he'll be pushing for a move to get his cut. 

Best to offer Benteke a performance related deal £15k / £30k a goal that he scores for us on top of a wage rise. 

Still no bids in from Laandaan ??

The Christian Benteke twitter account is a parody - so retweets and tweets from that account mean less than nothing.

The quote was from the AVFC verified Benteke account. @bentekechris20

Anyway, Spurs ITK on Twatter saying the deal is basically done, £22m.

I still think we need to be careful in how we handle any potential bids from Spurs.

eg _ say we reject offers from £20M, £21M, £22M, £23M & then £24M straight out of hand (great)

But what happens if Spurs then finally come back & say OK £25M deal or no deal?

If we accept the bid at this point & let Spurs talk to the player, this means Man City, Chelsea et al  can then also now make their approaches as well knowing we will accept £25M as that is the price we have allowed Spurs to get the ball rolling.

In the above scenario we could subsequently miss out on a potential bidding war developing.

This is why I personally would set a price of £35M on Benteke & would refuse to budge on it until it is met. Then it really doesn't matter where Benteke ends up as we would not have lost out other than losing a damn good player & if no bid matches our valuation  then we win again as we get to keep a World Class player & can easily improve the terms of his contract to the benefit of all parties concerned.

Please, Please Villa, however it transpires, don't sell us short.

• Like 1

Â