Christian Benteke

Kwan

He really has **** himself over.  Spurs will not pay £25m + for him.  He will be stuck at Villa for another year and will have to do a hell of a lot to build his bridges with the club.

although signing a new contract and sacking the clearing in the woods of an agent may help

Just another season like last will do. If he and the team pick up where we left off from January on last year, he could easily hit 25 league goals. I won't be booing anyone doing that for my club. 

this reminds me a it of Anelka all them years ago when trying to leave Arsenal and if honest his career never recovered from that situation

Edited by Zatman

He really has **** himself over. Spurs will not pay £25m + for him. He will be stuck at Villa for another year and will have to do a hell of a lot to build his bridges with the club.

To be honest we are a fickle lot. If he ends up sticking around we will be chanting his name again by September.

It's why I refuse to 'put the boot in'. He doesn't need to be my favourite player or profess his undying love for Villa to score goals for us next season. Things can change and we could still get a good season out of him. Let him score 25+ league goals for us next season as a farewell gift.

If he does stay, what does he come out and say to the media/fans about the whole situation? 

i lost my head and I've sacked my clearing in the woods of an agent

Neil Moxley @Neil_Moxley_DM 9 Jul

"No way will problems be caused by Christian or myself," Benteke's agent, Eris Kismet, quoted on May 24. Forty-five days later...

Benteke did think we were a London club to begin with. Clearly himself and agent are hardly the brightest of bulbs.

Proved by the guy who got his Belgium flag signed by Benteke with a black marker pen, only to realise Benteke had signed the black part of the flag..

• Like 1

Neil Moxley ‏@Neil_Moxley_DM 9 Jul

"No way will problems be caused by Christian or myself," Benteke's agent, Eris Kismet, quoted on May 24. Forty-five days later...

Benteke did think we were a London club to begin with. Clearly himself and agent are hardly the brightest of bulbs.

Proved by the guy who got his Belgium flag signed by Benteke with a black marker pen, only to realise Benteke had signed the black part of the flag..

lmao really?

Undoubted quality but a very immature kid that could ruin his own career. Refused to go on loan whilst at Standard, went on strike at Genk and now is trying to force a move through after less than a year with us. I wish him the worst as I detest this type of individual. Thanks for helping keep us up but Ill have a nice giggle if karma gives you a kick in the sack

Have a like from me.

The bloke is clearly a word removed of the highest order. I want him gone ASAP.

Neil Moxley ‏@Neil_Moxley_DM 9 Jul

lmao really?

Sadly, yes.

If he does stay, what does he come out and say to the media/fans about the whole situation? 

i lost my head and I've sacked my clearing in the woods of an agent

If he stays i think its mandatory that he has to sack his agent

Possibly the worst agent in the world by all accounts

He's even being slammed by other agents for being disrespectful if i were him i'd be slightly embarrassed 

Edited by AshVilla

Spurs fan here. I think this whole situation is a bit shit and totally understand where most of you lot are coming from. Basically the whole process of signing a player seems like bullshit. As a Spurs fan we've had to put up with it for years, in recent memory first it was Carrick (although in his case we agreed the fee pretty quickly), then the whole Berbatov saga, then Modric to Chelsea, and next it will be Bale. One thing I thought Levy got right in most of those negotiations was he didn't let himself be bullied by a player who went on strike. In the case of Berbatov he went right down to the wire to the extent that it **** our season quite badly, but for me it was worth it because it sent a message to Utd, other clubs, and players that it wasn't worth playing those games. Next to try was Chelsea, and here the message was reinforced, we kept the player and he played very well for us in the subsequent season and then we sold him to a club of our choice and not the one that had tried so hard to unsettle him. Then this summer comes along and Real start making a big play for Bale and Levy says he's not interested, but the player (perhaps?) decides he can't stomach the fight and so to does Perez with miracle of miracles Real backing down. The moral of the tale being that sometimes you have to be prepared to screw yourself in the short-term for longer term gain!

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either, but that's not the point, Villa should have a valuation (which doesn't have to be the first price they set-out in the negotiation) and not sell him for less than that.

Which brings me to our potential involvement in this deal. I really, really hope that Levy doesn't try and play games on this one, I hope he doesn't try and do a Utd, or a Chelsea on you guys because if he does I think everyone loses, and if I were Villa I'd play the same trick on us as we did on those other clubs. Surely Levy gets this though? I think it's perfectly reasonable to test the water with a low-ball offer, because that's all part of the negotiation, but at the same time we should quickly move towards the price we're willing to pay, and if that happens to be too low for Villa, then we should shake their hands and move on to a different target. Basically I don't think we should try and leverage a player's discontent to get a better price, Benteke's already done what he's done and that should be it, now negotiate like grown-ups and do our best to reach a deal.

Nice to have you on here, Just a few things think its gone past Levy behaving nicely, if you think he or your club have nothing to do with Benteke transfer request then I'd say you need to catch up with what goes on. You do not want to pay what we want, this will be a deadlock IMHO.

I think all clubs tap up players before speaking to clubs. It would be crazy to go through all the effort of negotiating a price with a club only to find a player wasn't interested, plus it can make the price cheaper if the player wants to come and doesn't want to stay. Imo the madness is the rule which says you shouldn't tap up, when it's unenforceable, and flagrantly ignored.

What we're actually talking about is a food-chain - real or perceived - which sees clubs trying to poach the best players available to them. Villa and Spurs do it, City and Utd, Preston and Barnet...

In the case of this transfer I don't want Levy to behave nicely just for the sake of it, but because I think the alternative will be the worst of all worlds both for us and for you. It's not worth playing the games if you don't end up winning, and I don't think Levy will win!!

Spurs fan here. I think this whole situation is a bit shit and totally understand where most of you lot are coming from. Basically the whole process of signing a player seems like bullshit. As a Spurs fan we've had to put up with it for years, in recent memory first it was Carrick (although in his case we agreed the fee pretty quickly), then the whole Berbatov saga, then Modric to Chelsea, and next it will be Bale. One thing I thought Levy got right in most of those negotiations was he didn't let himself be bullied by a player who went on strike. In the case of Berbatov he went right down to the wire to the extent that it **** our season quite badly, but for me it was worth it because it sent a message to Utd, other clubs, and players that it wasn't worth playing those games. Next to try was Chelsea, and here the message was reinforced, we kept the player and he played very well for us in the subsequent season and then we sold him to a club of our choice and not the one that had tried so hard to unsettle him. Then this summer comes along and Real start making a big play for Bale and Levy says he's not interested, but the player (perhaps?) decides he can't stomach the fight and so to does Perez with miracle of miracles Real backing down. The moral of the tale being that sometimes you have to be prepared to screw yourself in the short-term for longer term gain!

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either, but that's not the point, Villa should have a valuation (which doesn't have to be the first price they set-out in the negotiation) and not sell him for less than that.

Which brings me to our potential involvement in this deal. I really, really hope that Levy doesn't try and play games on this one, I hope he doesn't try and do a Utd, or a Chelsea on you guys because if he does I think everyone loses, and if I were Villa I'd play the same trick on us as we did on those other clubs. Surely Levy gets this though? I think it's perfectly reasonable to test the water with a low-ball offer, because that's all part of the negotiation, but at the same time we should quickly move towards the price we're willing to pay, and if that happens to be too low for Villa, then we should shake their hands and move on to a different target. Basically I don't think we should try and leverage a player's discontent to get a better price, Benteke's already done what he's done and that should be it, now negotiate like grown-ups and do our best to reach a deal.

If I were a spurs fan - I would want my club to pay £25m for Bentekke. He's only only 22 and scored 19 goals - and created in 40% of villa's other goals. Ive been watching villa for 40 years - In my opinion he really is that good. If you kept Bale and had Bentekke - I have you as a good outside bet for the prem title next year.

The only doubts I have are:-

• He only has one season in the prem
  •  
  • Towards the end of season other seemed to try and wind him up - and Bentekke took the bait.

But I really think he would be last peice of the jigsaw for you.

TartarungaJones

I have no doubt the Villa have set their price...25 mil..and having watched him a few times he is definetly worth the price.  I also believe Lerner will hold out for that and has history of doing so...Downing, Barry, Milner.

. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either, but that's not the point, Villa should have a valuation (which doesn't have to be the first price they set-out in the negotiation) and not sell him for less than that.

I agree with almost all of your post except your valuation of him.

The guy just scored 19 PL goals in his first season, in a struggling side and has just turned 22. Add to this the fact most of his goals came in the later stages of the season once he adapted and you start to see the true potential of what he can do. He scores from range and in close, he scores headers for fun and with both feet. He can play in behind people or with his back to goal and can play other people in.

Compare his stats for goals and assists to Suarez last season, then take into account his age, the time it took for him to settle, the team he was playing in and his attitude/behaviour. Then come back and tell me he isn't worth £25m.

As you say, you've watched him from afar a couple of times so that isn't really any basis to judge the fee. Realistically, forgetting the fact I'm a Villa fan and just looking at it in pure footballing worth I think he is closer to being worth £30m. That is without taking into account our desire not to sell him and the premium that puts on prices.

He was, I think I'm right in saying, the 4th highest league scorer in Europe post Christmas behind the finest names there are out there.

If you get him, you will get a gem of a player but hopefully you pay the price for doing so.

Other than that I agree with you.

As with most fans I only see players from my own team regularly, and the players of other teams if they play in high-profile matches, or against us, for this reason I haven't seen a lot of Benteke. I did go onto a site this morning and watch the first 20 minutes of your match against Chelsea, just to see what impression I could glean, and to have a comparison between him and a similar player in Ba. The impression I got was that he's a very good hold-up player, he won most balls which were cleared in his direction, and got involved in a couple of good moves, and scored a great goal, what concerned me though was he seemed a bit lazy off the ball, and just kind of strolled around when you didn't have the ball. He also looked a bit clumsy - and this came across in the youtube clips too - no where near as cultured as a Berbatov for instance. For me, it may well be that he goes onto become the next Drogba, but I'm not convinced. People point to a decent first season in the PL and that should be taken into account, but it is only one season, and £25m is a ridiculous amount for a player with a single season and all those question-marks attached. You guys have seen him more though so perhaps you can tell me what I'm missing? I also want to reiterate that this is not in anyway saying he should be sold for less than it's thought he's worth, if it's though he's worth £25m+ then that's the price which should be hold out for, and anyone trying to buy him for less should be told to do one.

Sorry you just contradicted yourself, you stated you hope Levy doesn't do a Man Utd or a Chelsea, but then congratulate him on doing it.

I don't think I did. I think every club taps up players before making a bid for them, Utd and Chelsea went a step further and spent the entire respective windows briefing their friends in the press and refusing to pay the asking price. Both Berbatov and Modric had a price we'd have been prepared to sell at, in the case of Berbatov it was around £25m, for Modric closer to £40m. Ironically Utd ended up spending over £30m on Berba, so a £7m premium and **** their own season a little, and our's a lot. In the case of Chelsea they simply failed and we sold him to someone else the following year. I'm suggesting that having established the player wants to come (if we have established that) we should not then try and over lever that position by putting in ridiculous low-ball bids in the hope that the player strikes and turns Villa into a stressed seller, if that happens I can only foresee a similar kind of outcome to those outlined, instead we should establish in fairly short order the actual price Villa are prepared to sell at (be that £40m, £30m, £25m, £20m whatever...) decide if we think he's worth it, if he is pay up, if he isn't, shake Villa's hand, inform the player we can't afford him and move onto our next target. If we do that, then Villa will respect it, the player will have to, and if at a later date Villa decide they do want to sell him and we're still interested there's a chance we can come to an agreement.

His agent "Christian has the same probablity of agreeing to Chelsea as he has to the Turkse Rangers (Belgian Amatuer Team) We do not want War but you cannot blame Christian as he wants to play in Europe" latest from Kismet.

If anybody deserves to have his email flooded with abuse then its this tosser. Not being funny, but the last time i remember, the Belgians were not very good at fighting wars.

Â