Christian Benteke

Kwan

From the Guardian..

Christian Benteke will cost £25m - and no swap deals - Villa tell Spurs

• Villa want cash-only deal with White Hart Lane club
• Chelsea may have a chance if Romelu Lukaku is included

Aston Villa have made it clear that Tottenham Hotspur will have to break their transfer record for the second time this summer if they want to sign Christian Benteke. The Midlands club are determined to dig their heels in over Benteke's future, after the Belgian international submitted a transfer request on Monday, and they have no intention of settling for anything less than £25m.

Tottenham have tracked Benteke for months, and the player is understood to favour a move to White Hart Lane, where he would be guaranteed regular football, yet there are doubts about whether they will be able to meet Villa's valuation, especially after they spent £17m on the Brazilian Paulinho this month. One way to finance the transfer would be to include a player, possibly Jermain Defoe, but that sort of deal is of no interest to Villa, who will demand that Spurs pay the fee in full.

Randy Lerner, Villa's owner, is determined to adopt the same hardline stance that frustrated Liverpool in 2008, when Gareth Barry ended up missing out on a move to Anfield. Villa demanded £18m for Barry and refused to budge on that figure, forcing Liverpool to eventually concede defeat in their attempts to sign the England international, who went on to join Manchester City for £12m a year later.

Villa's position on Benteke, who has three years left on his contract, poses a major challenge for Tottenham. André Villas-Boas is desperate to recruit a top-class centre-forward, and the Spurs manager believes Benteke has all the attributes to succeed at White Hart Lane. Perhaps crucially, Benteke has also emerged as the most viable option for Spurs at a time when they have missed out on David Villa and, for a variety of reasons, are no closer to signing Leandro Damião, Roberto Soldado or Loïc Rémy.

Tottenham could yet face competition from Chelsea and Arsenal, who watched Benteke before he joined Villa from Genk in a £7m deal last August. In the case of Chelsea it is possible that Villa would feel differently about a makeweight if Romelu Lukaku, who spent last season on loan at West Bromwich Albion, was included as part of the package.

Should Benteke leave Villa, his departure will have no bearing on Darren Bent's future. Villa remain keen to offload Bent whom Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager, admitted is on a list of five strikers – which also includes Rémy – that the club are interested in signing. Wolfsburg are also monitoring Bent's situation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/09/christian-benteke-tottenham-spurs-villa

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I'm going to be interviewing Brian Little about this Benteke situation on Unity FM on the Sports Lounge which is on from 1-3pm this Saturday.

If any of you guys have any particular questions you may suggest then let me know!

You can catch it locally on 93.5 or online on www.unityfm.net.

Here's a question for him,  does he see any similarities in this situation and his situation when he almost left us to join sha in a £600k deal

I was pretty young at the time but:

No cause that was 1979 after being part of the first team since 1972.

Failed a medical for SHA due to dodgy knee and didnt really play again.

Add to that the boy Shaw was ready to take his place and the Villa Team had evolved to  the hustle and bustle counter attack team that looked like it could achieve something!

He kept us up.  Be grateful for that and be happy we are getting big money to improve the team.  He doesn't owe us anything.

Erm... what about honouring the rest of the 4 year contract he and his agent were more than happy to sign less than 12 months ago?

Im fairly certain he owes us enough to shut his mouth, do his job and play football whilst wearing our shirt and crest until the date on a certain piece of paper that resembles an employment contract that has the scribble that roughly looks like his name on it expires... It should be down to another club to make a bid that we are willing to except or for us to say he is welcome to leave before he is allowed to make any choices regarding his future... He should have no rights but to kick a ball and do as he is told.... He is paid FAAAAR too much as it is... Until he decides to retire, his rights as a human being should also be forfeit... After all, he could have joined the military, earned a shite side less and been shot at for a living... You take the rough with the smooth!

Seen a lot of this talk about him "being an employee" who should play out the four years of his contract. Does anyone really want him to run down his contract and walk away for nothing? Does anyone even believe that that is remotely desirable? You are essentially writing incoming transfer fees out of your model with this approach. Clearly, contracts protect a player's resale value and are almost never designed to be played out. Admittedly, one year is a bit cheeky but there is no way the AVFC business model includes players playing out their contracts.

Problem with that is - Benteke is good.

So was Bent.

But he wasnt was he. In that team, he was awful. By the time Bent was dropped, he had done very little for over a year. Benteke proved that he could be top notch in a poor side. Bent can't.

• Like 1

I've given Lerner stick when I've felt he deserved it but I'm loving the quotes I'm reading from our official statement and from those in the sun.

Perfect at the moment.

Same with me. Credit due to the man in standing up to this weasels agents demands.

And yes, I think those quotes in the Sun are 100% correct.

Edited by MagicMushroom

Everyone keeps mentioning 80million for Bale therefore 30 milion for Benteke.

How about they fleeced us for 4-5 million for Hutton so 40 million for Benteke

If I'm honest, they got fleeced for £9m when they bought Hutton, we can't really blame them for taking advantage of McLeish.

Bent

Hutton

Ireland

Given

Warnock

all players on higher salaries, some with bad attitudes that Lambert had no problem leaving to rot. Am sure if Benteke did anything stupid like sulking, disruptive or strike Lambert will have no problem doing the same

I agree.

RL and PL aren't going to be vindictive against a fellow human being, HOWEVER, they need to decide on the value CB is worth to the club and stick to it; otherwise we'd end up saying "sorry your unhappy Christian, you can leave for whatever the first offer we receive". CB's value will be partly based on what wages will be 'lost' if CB sticks around without performing, which fortunately for us is relatively small - a high value should therefore be placed.

I really hope the 'insider' report in the Sun is correct. Without taking the piss, £30m is a good fee to demand. Depending on RL's nerve and CB's attitude, I'll guess at a still decent 'over £25m'. Less than £25m doesn't make much sense to me.

If I'm honest, they got fleeced for £9m when they bought Hutton, we can't really blame them for taking advantage of McLeish.

You do know that Villa could have said no. They didnt fleece us for anything. We made a cock up of it. Nothing to do with Tottenham's stubbornness.

If ,  at the time,  Ireland was valued at 8M then we got what,  28M for Jimmy M ?

I'd argue that Benteke is more valuable to us now than Jimmy was then.

No swaps,  no cast offs,  no loans,  straight cash £30M please

• Like 2

30 mill would make sense

Obviously no club will pay that

But it gives us haggling room down to 25 mill

They offer £20m, we demand £30m, if they really want him then they will meet half way. I'd take £25m, I'm sure most of us would, it would be a good amount of profit and hopefully Lerner would give it to Lambert to reinvest.

You do know that Villa could have said no. They didnt fleece us for anything. We made a cock up of it. Nothing to do with Tottenham's stubbornness.

I said Tottenham got fleeced for £9m, read my boy, read!

I made no such definitive statement concerning Benteke as i simply don't know why he is leaving. Look at the posts i quoted and my reply was a general answer to those posts about our ability to build a team.

You on the other hand have made a definitive statement on why Benteke is leaving and in doing that you have again driven yourself into a corner which you're now trying to get out of.

Answer the question. How do you know the reason for Benteke leaving is due to wages?

Yes you did

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

My major concern is this.

It is very much looking like we are going to lose the best two goal scorers we've had at this club since Yorke.

Now everyone remembers like a recurring nightmare our start to last season and the main reason put forward for that was players needing time to bed into a system that wasn't working.

So if we are going to persist with the change in system that guided us to safety during the last third of last season the replacement for Benteke is also going to need time to bed in and with our start to the new season campaign he will need to hit the ground running.

Obviously thats why the club have implied that there is a time limit to Benteke's transfer to give the manager time to incorporate the new forward into our system during pre-season but with our other new players also needing time i am concerned that our results will yet again suffer from the re-build syndrome and very quickly we'll be back into another relegation scrap with the pressure increasing on our young players.

I'm just wondering therefore if Benteke does leave along with Bent would it not be better to use gabby as our focal point upfront with N'Zogbia wide until our new target man gets up to speed with both the Premiership and indeed our system?

Edited by Morpheus

I made no such definitive statement concerning Benteke as i simply don't know why he is leaving. Look at the posts i quoted and my reply was a general answer to those posts about our ability to build a team.

You on the other hand have made a definitive statement on why Benteke is leaving and in doing that you have again driven yourself into a corner which you're now trying to get out of.

Answer the question. How do you know the reason for Benteke leaving is due to wages?

Yes you did

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

I don't see Benteke's name there so i made no definitive statement concerning the reasons why Benteke is leaving. You on the other hand did so i'll ask the question again.

How do you know the reason for Benteke's transfer request is down to wages?

Edited by Morpheus

Of course we won't do this we will lie down like a wet salmon and take it.

Did that happen with Young, Milner and Downing?

Yes it did 

apart from the ireland factor we got good money for all 3 of those though?

Â