Christian Benteke

Kwan

Mantis what are you on? I mean where have i stated that we should 'get inferior players just so they won't perform really well and then leave after a good season or two?'

We can also sign good experienced players as a base in which we can then build our youth around. We did it too much under O'Neil and not enough under Lambert so we have never really had a decent balance between both and if we continue to base our transfer policy on mainly youth then due to our present standing in football at the moment if those youthful players progress then they will be off in the same way as Benteke.

I have no doubt that if Lowton and Westwood have another good season then they will be cherry picked too so the vicious circle continues of buying and selling while we stagnate because we simply can't offer even the glimmer of european football at the moment.

Thats what i meant by 'rich financially and poor on success.'

Thing is, if a player comes in and performs like Benteke did last season then you will always have bigger clubs after him.

I think you're misinterpreting Lambert's approach. It isn't about deliberately buying prospects with the intention of selling them on at a higher price in the future. Clearly the club would prefer to keep Benteke.

........................Christain Bentekke walks into a bar..........

...has one drink and walks straight back out again

No i'm not misinterpreting Lambert's approach at all and i know he wants to build something here but its the economics of the situation we are in.

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

And yet even when Lerner was spending big and we were pushing for top 4 our best player (Barry) still wanted to leave. It's naive to think that Benteke's leaving because Lambert's buying inexperienced players or because we had a relegation scare. It's principally about wages.

Just what is it that you would like to see (realistically) happen at Villa exactly?

'Principally about wages.' How do you know this?

I've answered your last question a million times on here so no need to do it again.

Because that's what it's normally about. On the flip side, how do you know that it's about all the things you mentioned?

I don't recall ever asking you what you would like to see happen at Villa.

You've just made a statement Mantis saying that the reason Benteke is leaving is due to wages. The fact is no-one knows why he is leaving and there are more reasons than just wages for players leaving clubs.

And you made a statement implying that Benteke leaving was at least partially down to supposed lack of investment and Lambert's transfer policy.

I made no such definitive statement concerning Benteke as i simply don't know why he is leaving. Look at the posts i quoted and my reply was a general answer to those posts about our ability to build a team.

You on the other hand have made a definitive statement on why Benteke is leaving and in doing that you have again driven yourself into a corner which you're now trying to get out of.

Answer the question. How do you know the reason for Benteke leaving is due to wages?

Is there any truth in the claim that he's worried about sitting on the bench at certain clubs?

He can't put in a transfer request and then dictate which club he goes to. He'll go to whoever pays top dollar.

show-me-the-money-1-o.gif

Is there any truth in the claim that he's worried about sitting on the bench at certain clubs?

He can't put in a transfer request and then dictate which club he goes to. He'll go to whoever pays top dollar.

show-me-the-money-1-o.gif

I recon it's BS myself.

I recon it's BS myself.

I agree, it seems to be an agenda pushed by the pro-Spuds media. I'm hoping Mourinho doesn't rate Ba and Torres. There are plenty of Belgians at Stamford Bridge so lil' Christian can't complain.

Really disappointed in Benteke - we took a gamble on him and gave him a chance and even threw not matter what you think of a good striker to rot in the reserves.

I suspect he will go to Chelsea and link up withj Lukkaku, Hazard and De Byrune. 

I think we should hold out for 30mil or let him rot in the reserves - if we can do it to Bent who is at least 50k we can do it to Benteke - bye bye world cup place.

Of course we won't do this we will lie down like a wet salmon and take it.

Look Spurs have tapped him up, there were rumours prior to his TR, that he and Chadli were being shown around Spurs. They have asked his agent to get him to force a move in the hope that it'll drive the price down as Spurs do not want to pay 25million plus, as they want to build this player again and then sell on, it's their model.

The problem with selling Benteke is showing weakness from manager and club. Yes it happens all the time at every club.. but after 10 months is a joke. Lambert could possibly have other players who star and do the same. He needs to stamp it out and use Benteke as a lesson to other players who even consider it.

Reject anything under 30 million. Stick him in the reserves for a few months until he shows some pride and apologies to Lambo. Make sure we give him a bit of a scare for his world cup campaign on the brink.

The rest of the players will take notice that Lambert or Villa will not be **** with. Im sick of these players constantly doing this to our club over the years. Time we made a stance. We can always sell him in January or next season and still get good money for him.

Totally agree. Villa need to stand strong and send out the message that the club will not be held to ransom by any player let alone some kid who has been there for less than a year.

The example set now will determine how future player actions unfold.

One things for certain; Lerner will have no qualms in keeping hold of him if the right offer fails to materialise.

In the grand scheme of things, Benteke's £20k a week wage pales into insignificance when compared to the salaries of Bent, Ireland & Given. In reality he's probably on less money than the likes of Hutton and Nzogbia aswell. If Spurs think they can hold us to ransom on the assumption that we'll have to sell, then they've got another thing coming.

The Sun report the following from a 'Villa insider':

“It’s pretty straightforward. Benteke has three years left on his contract and therefore the club is in a strong position.

“Randy Lerner will not be bullied into selling. If no one comes up with our valuation of around £30m then Christian is staying.

"He will then have a lot of bridges to build with the manager, his team-mates and the supporters.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5005728/Aston-Villa-prepare-for-battle-to-keep-Christian-Benteke.html#ixzz2YdDUbWmQ

• Like 1

The problem with selling Benteke is showing weakness from manager and club. Yes it happens all the time at every club.. but after 10 months is a joke. Lambert could possibly have other players who star and do the same. He needs to stamp it out and use Benteke as a lesson to other players who even consider it.

Reject anything under 30 million. Stick him in the reserves for a few months until he shows some pride and apologies to Lambo. Make sure we give him a bit of a scare for his world cup campaign on the brink.

The rest of the players will take notice that Lambert or Villa will not be **** with. Im sick of these players constantly doing this to our club over the years. Time we made a stance. We can always sell him in January or next season and still get good money for him.

Totally agree. Villa need to stand strong and send out the message that the club will not be held to ransom by any player let alone some kid who has been there for less than a year.

The example set now will determine how future player actions unfold.

Apologise for what KSV?

The lad wants to move on. Its not a crime. He does not owe us anything.

Â