Christian Benteke

Kwan

Bony to Swansea official. So he goes off the list.

To be expected - we can't compete with the likes of Swansea

You have to be in for a player to compete against other clubs for his signature. We competed just fine with Chelsea for Okore, or Fulham for Benteke

• Like 1

Its a joke really the state of the Premier League... Its the equivalent of a Grand Prix race with 3 Formula 1 cars racing against 4 Golf GTI's, 10 Vauxhall Vectra's & a couple of Citreon Picasso's.

Thats not a race its a mismatch.. Its about time the FA sorted something out now as it's become a farce really in my opinion. Long gone are the days when i used to buy a season ticket full of hope for the new season, wondering could we win the title or FA cup.

This goes beyond the FA.

The FA could impose arbitrary wage caps, a universal transfer fee limit, hell, even go really crazy and have a player draft like they do in the NFL. And all of the good players will piss off to Germany, Italy and Spain, and leave us watching Joe **** Bennett walking around thinking he's Ronaldo.

Needs UEFA/FIFA to impose strict squad rules to stop the big teams by all the talent just to sit on the bench/reserves. But that'll never happen.

You have to be in for a player to compete against other clubs for his signature. We competed just fine with Chelsea for Okore, or Fulham for Benteke

We didnt really, he turned down Chelsea because he wanted play time.

It's going be the same thing with Okore as it was with Benteke, in 1/2 years. 

As I said, if we dont get super rich owner, we'll be stuck in this circle forever.

And please don't compare Borrusia in this. German league is not that competitve, in 2007,08 etc. there's only one amazing and consistent team and others were decent, but not amazing, that's why Borussia rebuild was succesfull in many ways.

In Premier League there's at least 6/7 clubs that have rich owners and have quality sides.

Edited by Alakagom

Its a joke really the state of the Premier League... Its the equivalent of a Grand Prix race with 3 Formula 1 cars racing against 4 Golf GTI's, 10 Vauxhall Vectra's & a couple of Citreon Picasso's.

Race Result

1. Formula 1 car no.1

2. Formula 1 car no.2

3. Formula 1 car no.3

4, Golf Gti no.1

5. Golf Gti no.2

6. Golf Gti no.3

etc etc etc

Relegated

17. Vauxhall Vectra ??? (By far the most interesting contest of the year)

18. Citroen Picasso no.1

19. Citroen Picasso no.2

Thats not a race its a mismatch.. Its about time the FA sorted something out now as it's become a farce really in my opinion. Long gone are the days when i used to buy a season ticket full of hope for the new season, wondering could we win the title or FA cup.

Now i think...Shall i bother spending my money to watch a few games this season? I don't even bother looking at the big games anymore against the "money teams" as frankly there is no point really. Even if you outplay them (which in itself is highly unlikely) then you never get the rub of the green from the officials against these teams (very odd that) so i would rather go to a game we have at least a fair chance of winning. I don't want to watch a re-run of the race i've highlighted above.. it's boring frankly & not my idea of a fun day out. Neither do i like watching the Sky 4 games on TV week in week out. Lost count of how many times last season there were cracking games which had loads riding on them between the relegation threatened teams which were ignored & instead we got the dullness of another meaningless foregone conclusion at Old Trafford with Man Utd against whoever.

For me the game is in danger of losing it's soul. Just a bunch of overpaid blokes who have lost the spirit of football... For me the game is all about hope & dreams & belief... It is worth little when all of those things have been stifled.

I think you have some sort of issue with Citroen Picasso's. You really need help!

:D

We didnt really, he turned down Chelsea because he wanted play time.

It's going be the same thing with Okore as it was with Benteke, in 1/2 years. 

As I said, if we dont get super rich owner, we'll be stuck in this circle forever.

And please don't compare Borrusia in this. German league is not that competitve, in 2007,08 etc. there's only one amazing and consistent team and others were decent, but not amazing, that's why Borussia rebuild was succesfull in many ways.

In Premier League there's at least 6/7 clubs that have rich owners and have quality sides.

I think we need one who accepts that a club isn't going to be sustainable on its own. Whilst we reach for this holy grail we will always flounder. We have a wealthy owner - he's just not committed enough to bankroll the club - or even attend games on a regular basis.

Blip?

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

This is the business model we wanted. Admittedly we didn't expect it this quickly.

The entire business model is by young, hungry, talented and cheap players. Build them up, if we keep them - great, we build something. If we dont, we either make very little loss because they weren't good enough. Or, we sell them on for huge profits in order to fund the next round of incomings.

£25-30m will fund this summer, January and most of next summers transfer exploits. This is the model working perfectly in action.

Exactly. We've swapped from a system where you make a massive loss on deadwood or have them hang around milking their contract to a system where your players come into their prime and potentially move for massive fees. There'll be pain because essentially we're going to be selling players the fans don't want to sell. But if we re-invest properly then it's all good.

And we re-invest and we re-invest and then re-invest some more but when do we build a team?

The Benteke debacle if anything shows that whenever we get a quality player he is going to be cherry picked and that will continue leaving us in a re-build vicious circle.

I've stated this time and time again that only investing in youth won't work because there won't be a base on which you can build a team. If those young players fulfil their potential then they will be off to pastures new within a couple of seasons and although our club might get rich financially it will however will stay poor on success.

So you'd rather we get inferior players (because we'd never be able to get a proven player of Benteke's quality) just so they won't perform really well and then leave after a good season or two?

Mantis what are you on? I mean where have i stated that we should 'get inferior players just so they won't perform really well and then leave after a good season or two?'

We can also sign good experienced players as a base in which we can then build our youth around. We did it too much under O'Neil and not enough under Lambert so we have never really had a decent balance between both and if we continue to base our transfer policy on mainly youth then due to our present standing in football at the moment if those youthful players progress then they will be off in the same way as Benteke.

I have no doubt that if Lowton and Westwood have another good season then they will be cherry picked too so the vicious circle continues of buying and selling while we stagnate because we simply can't offer even the glimmer of european football at the moment.

Thats what i meant by 'rich financially and poor on success.'

Race Result

1. Formula 1 car no.1

2. Formula 1 car no.2

3. Formula 1 car no.3

4, Golf Gti no.1

5. Golf Gti no.2

6. Golf Gti no.3

etc etc etc

Relegated

17. Vauxhall Vectra ??? (By far the most interesting contest of the year)

18. Citroen Picasso no.1

19. Citroen Picasso no.2

Now i think...Shall i bother spending my money to watch a few games this season? I don't even bother looking at the big games anymore against the "money teams" as frankly there is no point really. Even if you outplay them (which in itself is highly unlikely) then you never get the rub of the green from the officials against these teams (very odd that) so i would rather go to a game we have at least a fair chance of winning. I don't want to watch a re-run of the race i've highlighted above.. it's boring frankly & not my idea of a fun day out. Neither do i like watching the Sky 4 games on TV week in week out. Lost count of how many times last season there were cracking games which had loads riding on them between the relegation threatened teams which were ignored & instead we got the dullness of another meaningless foregone conclusion at Old Trafford with Man Utd against whoever.

For me the game is in danger of losing it's soul. Just a bunch of overpaid blokes who have lost the spirit of football... For me the game is all about hope & dreams & belief... It is worth little when all of those things have been stifled.

Been saying this for a long time (not frequently).  The problem is that you can't in any way get any kind of parity when you have a promotion and relegation system.  The NFL does a great job with parity; it makes it way more fun and entertaining, but that model, of course, cannot fit in a system where you can cease to be a member of it if you play poorly (i.e. don't have money).

Football is just a job, Benteke now has considerable market power, he is now in a position to go to a top 'company' and earn a lot more money, let's not act like anyone else would do differently. 

Let's not also forget that Benteke has form in getting what he wants, he went on strike at Genk and he'll do the same here. It's funny to look back and read the comments of one poster on here who argued with me for several posts that the Genk situation was fundamentally different and that Benteke wouldn't be up to his old tricks.

What is clear is that we have to reinvest a considerable amount of Benteke's funds in a replacement because we will be in trouble if we start the season without a quality replacement. 

Our positivity and faith in Lambert and Villa is so refreshing.

When we lost Milner, Young, Downing and Barry, this place was in meltdown. We were fearing the worst and didn't appear to have the faith we do now, when looking for a replacement.

Under Lambert, however, we do appear to be content in building something over time.

Despite 'No-Tekkers' handing in a transfer request, I'm really looking forward to next season!

One player is not bigger than the club.

Agree, but there is one very crucial factor in this, if we can move forward.

Lambert has to get the money so he can rebuild.

If he does, we will be fine.

IF Carol is worth £35M then so is Benteke. If I were in charge at VP I'd also refuse to sell him to another PL club. I don't think I could stand to see him score against us next season.

If Andy Carroll is worth £35m and Fernando Torres is worth £50m then Benteke must be priceless!

Edited by pacbuddies

Mantis what are you on? I mean where have i stated that we should 'get inferior players just so they won't perform really well and then leave after a good season or two?'

We can also sign good experienced players as a base in which we can then build our youth around. We did it too much under O'Neil and not enough under Lambert so we have never really had a decent balance between both and if we continue to base our transfer policy on mainly youth then due to our present standing in football at the moment if those youthful players progress then they will be off in the same way as Benteke.

I have no doubt that if Lowton and Westwood have another good season then they will be cherry picked too so the vicious circle continues of buying and selling while we stagnate because we simply can't offer even the glimmer of european football at the moment.

Thats what i meant by 'rich financially and poor on success.'

Thing is, if a player comes in and performs like Benteke did last season then you will always have bigger clubs after him.

I think you're misinterpreting Lambert's approach. It isn't about deliberately buying prospects with the intention of selling them on at a higher price in the future. Clearly the club would prefer to keep Benteke.

........................Christain Bentekke walks into a bar..........

...has one drink and walks straight back out again

Â