Friendly: Brazil v England

maqroll

Although I cant get really exicted over england anymore, I think some of the coverage Woy's team gets is a little harsh. They are okay, like about 80% of all england teams I have watched in my time.  Probably a top 25 team, last 16 World Cup sort of side. The ox did a good job and the sooner wiltshire becomes the central player for england, the better. Never been a fan of Johnson, the boy can't defend. Must be taking lessons from lambert, lol. Brazil look average, nowhere near Spain. I think they will just implode next year under the pressure. I mean the 1950 failure is still talked about in Brazil like its a national disaster!

On the evidence of tonight this is one of the poorest Brazilian sides I can remember. I really don't know who is going to win the world cup next year. Argentina, Germany, Spain and although I don't think Belgium will win it they have certainly one of the most talented group of players, providing they qualify of course. England last 16 or last 8 if they do really well.

Fair play to AO-C, he came on, had a shot and it went in... The problem is that he seems to have been elevated to a god like status now with the English media. When will they learn?

• Like 1

Brazil will get to the quarters purely because they have the crowds behind them. If they get any further than that I'll be very surprised, if they went out in the first round I wouldn't be shocked. There's far too much pressure on a young team, the manager is a dead man walking - only winning the WC will save Scolari from the sack, and their players are all too flamboyant with no solidity like they had with Gilberto. 

England probably won't even qualify based on our recent performances. Not unless we can qualify by drawing every game with our 'solid system'.

I've seen Neymar about 4 times in total now and still to see what all the fuss is about.

To be honest 4 times is not many times.  You need to see him more then that to judge him.

Gabby is better than Walcott.

No way. I know Gabby is one of ours but Walcott is better. If Arsenal said ''lets do a straight swap this summer'', I would be very happy with that. Of course Arsenal wouldn't do that because Walcott is better by a considerable margin.

I've seen Neymar about 4 times in total now and still to see what all the fuss is about.

To be honest 4 times is not many times.  You need to see him more then that to judge him.

I know Barcelona are no mugs so shelling out £50m he must have more to offer. Just saying, from what I've seen he's been a greedy, cheating word removed. Some of his shots against England (when he had better passing options) were miles away.

He's also got one of those faces you wouldn't tire of slapping.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Gabby is better than Walcott.

No way. I know Gabby is one of ours but Walcott is better. If Arsenal said ''lets do a straight swap this summer'', I would be very happy with that. Of course Arsenal wouldn't do that because Walcott is better by a considerable margin.

I don't agree. Walcott is the better finisher and has more skill in his locker but in the position they play I'd take Gabby's strength and work rate as well as his ability to being others into play.

Particularly for England, given that's the topic. I'd at least have him in the squad?

Thought Brazil were poor - we were worse. Probably the most boring 2-2 draw I have ever seen. Neither will win the world cup based on that match. I really do look forward to the day, we as a nation stop bigging the players up.

I mean you almost get the impression Theo Walcott is waiting to be a good player.

Edited by Woodytom

Thought Brazil were poor - we were worse. Probably the most boring 2-2 draw I have ever seen. Neither will win the world cup based on that match. I really do look forward to the day, we as a nation stop bigging the players up.

I mean you almost get the impression Theo Walcott is waiting to be a good player.

I'm not sure we as a nation are bigging up the England team at all these days.

The papers still jump on individuals, but I've never in my lifetime known the public opinion of the England team to be so low.

Rightly so, because the team is pretty crap. But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

It's nowhere near that now.

I'm not sure we as a nation are bigging up the England team at all these days.

The papers still jump on individuals, but I've never in my lifetime known the public opinion of the England team to be so low.

Rightly so, because the team is pretty crap. But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

It's nowhere near that now.

Thats what i mean the players.

Carrick, Lampard, Rooney, Walcott, Wilshere, Gerrard, Cole, ferdinand, Terry - the list is endless. Supposedly some of the best players in the world? Nah, nowhere near. What is becoming increasingly evident is these guys are performing in a poor league. The inability to keep the ball is embarrassing. My Sunday league side at 14/15 used to keep the ball as good.  

The England team would do well if more top players played in other leagues around Europe. As it stands now, they are too insular in their approach. The geezer in charge isn't helping either...

But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

The '98 WC was there for the taking, and England had as good a chance as any. 

The England team would do well if more top players played in other leagues around Europe. As it stands now, they are too insular in their approach. The geezer in charge isn't helping either...

maqroll, on 03 Jun 2013 - 6:46 PM, said:

What makes you think that?  

Italy won the world cup in 2006 with a squad made entirely of players based in Serie A. They reached the final of Euro 2012 with only three players who were not based in Serie A, namely their third choice goalkeeper (who doesnt count) Mario Balotelli, and Thiago Motta who had signed for PSG on transfer deadline day barely four months before the tournament started. 

Spain are much the same.  The squads which won Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 have all had 19-20 players based in La Liga and a few from the Premier League. One of those overseas based players has always been Pepe Reina who again, as a reserve goalkeeper doesn't really count.   The first team is even more La Liga centric.  

People always look for a single reason with England, and it is usually something which could be described as a quick fix when it comes to suggestions.  It's that we have too many foreigners in the Premier League (when the ratio of foreign players in other "big" leagues is quite similar) or it's that there are too many teams in the top division, or it's that we don't have a winter break or it's that not enough of our stars play abroad.  The real reason is we don't produce enough talent, our rivals all have several top players competing for every position, we tend to have a squad with seventeen or eighteen solid players, two or three very good ones and a talismanic player or two who we hope wins the tournament for us.  It's been like that for years and the reason is we neglect grass roots football in the country because the FA decided to spend a billion pounds knocking down and rebuilding a stadium in Brent. 
  • Like 1

But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

The '98 WC was there for the taking, and England had as good a chance as any. 

Compare the strikers who didn't get in the '98 squad (Le Tissier, Cole, Fowler, Collymore, Sutton & Dublin - all of who would walk into the current squad) to what England have in the team now and it's plain to see there has been a huge drop off in the pool of talent available to the England manager.

Â