Friendly: Brazil v England

maqroll

Thought Brazil were poor - we were worse. Probably the most boring 2-2 draw I have ever seen. Neither will win the world cup based on that match. I really do look forward to the day, we as a nation stop bigging the players up.

I mean you almost get the impression Theo Walcott is waiting to be a good player.

I'm not sure we as a nation are bigging up the England team at all these days.

The papers still jump on individuals, but I've never in my lifetime known the public opinion of the England team to be so low.

Rightly so, because the team is pretty crap. But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

It's nowhere near that now.

Thats what i mean the players.

Carrick, Lampard, Rooney, Walcott, Wilshere, Gerrard, Cole, ferdinand, Terry - the list is endless. Supposedly some of the best players in the world? Nah, nowhere near. What is becoming increasingly evident is these guys are performing in a poor league. The inability to keep the ball is embarrassing. My Sunday league side at 14/15 used to keep the ball as good.

Nobody considers those players to be amongst the best in the world. Not the media, not the fans nor the clubs they play for.

Though I will say from that list Carrick is very good at what he does, protecting the back 4 and turning over the ball quickly. Wilshere has world class potential if he can ever stay fit and Ashley Cole still has an air of excellence about him, he's my first name on the team sheet.

That's three players. Rooney is a good number 10 but you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks he is genuinely top drawer anymore. The rest of the squad is plum average.

You're the one perpetuating the myth by saying things like "England won't win the World Cup". Of course they bloody won't.

• Like 1

Walcott was the one for me last night, how often did he seem to be playing the match at fifa pace and running and passing at 100mph. Some promising attacks were wasted because of this, Rooney is guilty of this on occasions aswell.

Some hope for Brazil, Oscar is a great little player and Lucas Moura needs to become a regular starter over the next year but yeah can't see them winning the world cup with Fred as their starting forward, decent poacher he is. There's a reason he wasn't their starting striker in 2006 or 2010. And they can't keep clean sheets either.

thought it was a dreadful game between 2 average teams. Doubt either will eb in with World Cup contention,

Though I see Scolari getting sacked by end of Confederations Cup. 1 win in 7 games so far

thought it was a dreadful game between 2 average teams. Doubt either will eb in with World Cup contention,

Though I see Scolari getting sacked by end of Confederations Cup. 1 win in 7 games so far

I largely agree but with the players Brazil have I can't quite write them off just yet despite their current form.

As for England we are poor, really really poor.

As a general rule the hosts will get an easy group then usually a softish last 16 game against a Paraguay or Slovakia or someone like that (I know neither are qualifying) so can't see Brazil not getting to the quarters and you'd think on home turf they could turn over one of the big hitters so I'll go semis.

think Brazil have bad management. Manezes was doing a decent job and was building a style but for political reasons they sacked him got Scolari and that needs to be rectified

Brazil and England are average teams?

I would say Ireland are an example of an average team.

Thought Brazil were poor - we were worse. Probably the most boring 2-2 draw I have ever seen. Neither will win the world cup based on that match. I really do look forward to the day, we as a nation stop bigging the players up.

I mean you almost get the impression Theo Walcott is waiting to be a good player.

I'm not sure we as a nation are bigging up the England team at all these days.

The papers still jump on individuals, but I've never in my lifetime known the public opinion of the England team to be so low.

Rightly so, because the team is pretty crap. But certainly back in the 90's and early 2000's the overwhelming public opinion seemed to be that we had an amazing chance of winning every tournament we played in.

It's nowhere near that now.

Thats what i mean the players.

Carrick, Lampard, Rooney, Walcott, Wilshere, Gerrard, Cole, ferdinand, Terry - the list is endless. Supposedly some of the best players in the world? Nah, nowhere near. What is becoming increasingly evident is these guys are performing in a poor league. The inability to keep the ball is embarrassing. My Sunday league side at 14/15 used to keep the ball as good.

Nobody considers those players to be amongst the best in the world. Not the media, not the fans nor the clubs they play for.

Though I will say from that list Carrick is very good at what he does, protecting the back 4 and turning over the ball quickly. Wilshere has world class potential if he can ever stay fit and Ashley Cole still has an air of excellence about him, he's my first name on the team sheet.

That's three players. Rooney is a good number 10 but you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks he is genuinely top drawer anymore. The rest of the squad is plum average.

You're the one perpetuating the myth by saying things like "England won't win the World Cup". Of course they bloody won't.

The media dont hype Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Carrick to be amongst the best in the world?? Ok then.

England really arent that much better than Ireland. England have struggled vs Poland, Ukraine and Montenegro teams aon same level as Ireland

The difference between England and Ireland is bigger than the difference between England and Spain.

and before you no doubt bring up a meaningless friendly result, remember that England have beaten Spain, Italy and Brazil in the past 18 months, so it realy don't mean much.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

England really arent that much better than Ireland. England have struggled vs Poland, Ukraine and Montenegro teams aon same level as Ireland

Oh please.

That was my reaction too. How many Ireland player's would get in the England team? Possibly Long, but that is all. In 2002 I would say 5 Ireland would get in the England team, but not now.

Nobody has said Ireland players would get in England team. How many Montenegro players would get in or Ukraine players, nobody has even said Ireland is better than England. Its just that their is not that much difference between the teams going on qualifiers. If Ireland beat the Faroes it means we are 1 point behind England in tally and neither team has beaten a top 4 team in their group

btw Seamus Coleman is a better full back than Glen Johnson ;)

I'd have been very surprised if England had managed to get a point, nevermind qualify out of, Ireland's group in Euro 2012. England have a bigger player pool then Ireland, but both teams, along with the other FIFA nations in the Britain & Ireland, are streets behind the technical ability which even the smaller Euro nations like Croatia possess.

The difference between England and Ireland is bigger than the difference between England and Spain.

and before you no doubt bring up a meaningless friendly result, remember that England have beaten Spain, Italy and Brazil in the past 18 months, so it realy don't mean much.

Of course friendlies mean sfa, Ireland have beaten the Italians and drawn with the Croat's, but when it come's to the nitty gritty their quality shine's through when it matters.

I guess you beat him to it.

• Like 1

have to agree, no English player gets the same hype they did 3/4 years ago. It mainly stopped by media after Germany trashed them in World Cup.

Only 1 player has got the hype and been labelled as world class in last year by media and that was Wiltshire after the Brazil game

Â