Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Hilariously bad player. Lol. Who the hell scouted this clown ?

I would usually be tempted to criticise calling someone 'hilariously bad' but he actually is. His shooting is genuinely funny (and hair-tearingly frustrating in equal measure)

Most of his shots in the Baggies game were actually on target for a change, so I'm not going to be so restrained.

Calling someone "hilariously bad" and a "clown" is completely unnecessary. It was even rounded off nicely with a "Lol". Let's just say that posts like this create a very negative impression of the poster who writes them.

Well I genuinely hope he improves and proves the many doubters wrong. I was very angry with some of his wasteful play again last night. He is currently miles off the required standard.

Yes thats the problem. How many times do we loose possession because he gives the ball away and how many times does he waste a great attacking position with a shot wasteful shot. He's a bit of a liability to pick really.

Really really want him to be good but not seeing anything to suggest he will make it.

Not that quick or particularly skillfull. Intelligence and awareness virtually none existence. Having said this he has improved a bit so hope I'm proved wrong.

Lambert saw something in him so I wouldn't write him off. I've seen steady improvement in the games he's played - mind you, he started pretty low with his full debut.

He's not pulling up trees, that's for sure. Needs more time.

I think his main asset is his pace but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, you're wrong ;). It's his shooting, obviously.

http://youtu.be/qZd0oREGHwI

That lad Chelsea should have got a transfer embargo over but didn't because they are rich has set you a challenge Mr Tonev.  I trust you will beat this next week?

On that "stadium" Tonev would kick it out of town!

Really really want him to be good but not seeing anything to suggest he will make it.

Not that quick or particularly skillfull. Intelligence and awareness virtually none existence. Having said this he has improved a bit so hope I'm proved wrong.

??? kids pretty rapid tbf.

??? kids pretty rapid tbf.

He does everything quickly, if he would calm down a bit and think about what he is doing there might be a half decent player in there.

Weimann thinks his a special talent. Those shots go in the net in training. If that early one had gone in against West Brom we may have seen a more confident Tonev.

He's not a starter for me yet I think.

Agree. Not quite there. 

Obviously, he's showing nerves but also improvement compared to his first few appearances.

He will start scoring on these long shots eventually and every fan in the PL will want him. 

Weimann thinks his a special talent. Those shots go in the net in training. If that early one had gone in against West Brom we may have seen a more confident Tonev.

He's not a starter for me yet I think.

Agree. Not quite there. 

Obviously, he's showing nerves but also improvement compared to his first few appearances.

He will start scoring on these long shots eventually and every fan in the PL will want him. 

Yes lets hope so Con. I think we'll see the best of a lot of the summer signings later in the season.  I think Tonev will come good. The one signing that is some way away from first team selection is Helenius, Maybe next season we'll see more of him.

Thing is, his shooting isn't even that good. Someone like Frank Lampard is good at shooting because he hits the target every time and forces the keeper into a save. Half of Tonev's shots are total mishits, and 70% of the time there's a better ball on.

Quite literally a very hit and miss player, as a wildcard from the bench he's alright but shouldn't be starting - not until he can learn to make some better decisions. 

It's a big mix of wishful thinking though.

If he played for WBA and did the stuff he did against us, we would all be laughing.

I have nothing against expectations amongst fans, but just because he plays for us it does't mean he will become decent no matter what. I try to be as objective as possible with regards to the Villa, and sometimes it's impossible when you are discussing players like Benteke vs. Soldado, Giroud etc when people obviously don't know how good our player can be, but this forum is filled with wishful thinking when it comes to players. If every player was as good as this forum suggests, we would walk the league by 20 points every season. If a Villa-fan picked the England-team at the end of last season we would have had Lowton, Westwood, Gabby, Delph and the lot included. Sadly, the facts are going to be pretty different from that outlook.

Tonev for me looks like an extremely poor version of Niko Kranjcar. I obviously see that he can shoot and he probably does shoot better in training, but I know several players capable of scoring blinders from my career as a footballer in the lower divisions of Norway, not much happened to them to put it mildly. The complete package is much more important and Tonev sadly seems to lack a whole lot in his game. His forechecking is bad, his reading of the game is terrible, his decision-making is non-existent right now and he annoys the other players when he decides to shoot from 45 yards. Looking at his style, one can easily make the argument that Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Luis Suarez and other hotheads did exactly the same when they arrived on the island. The difference is that these guys did it when they were 19-21 years old and way better at other aspects of the game. It's unfair to compare him to Ronaldo and Suarez of course, but they are an example of people "allowed" to do stupid things on the pitch because everyone knows their natural ability is huge and they need to develop on their own - not to be controlled. Same with Zlatan too, without all those idiotic dribbles and shots from 40 yards he wouldn't have been able to score overhead-kicks and flicks with his heel later on in his career. Ronaldo pretty much delivered from day 1, but he is now constantly scoring 30+ league goals each season and a few of them are always spectacular. He has learned to become clinical like hell over the years, but you always know he is able to pull something out of the bag when they need a goal the most.

I hope Tonev turns out decent, I really do, but I don't have anything to suggest he will become a beloved player at the Villa Park when we look back at his career in 10 years. He has only played a handful of games, but just as you cannot decide a player is world-class in 5 - 10 games, you cannot disregard that he is in fact closer to woeful either.

• Like 1

Â