Worst Premiership Villa Side Ever?

villa-revolution

Allback was one of the chief culprits in leaving us in fear of relegation that season, he was awful. Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo until the last few games. This "saved us from relegation" line is just silly he was guilty of getting us there in the first place

Hadgi

Kachloul

Hadji was a superb player but was treated disgracefully. He was awesome at the start of 01-02 despite being continuously used from the bench. He scored a couple of goals including a screamer in the last minute against Varteks when we had another shocking elimination. He barely played in 02-03 because Taylor was an idiot. The strange thing about that was Taylor used to constantly praise Hadji on the radio during the previous season. Never understood why he didnt fancy him. We then shipped him out the following season. A complete waste of his talents.

As for Kachloul, while he didnt pull up trees for us, he was free and after Gregory resigned, he wasnt fancied. Not really his fault. Taylor never liked creative midfielders and instead played cloggers like Leonhardsen and Kinsella.

Curcic and Kinsella have to be the two centre mids because Curcic was a batshit mental shithouse who cost a lot of money. Kinsella was probably the least talented player ever to put on the Villa shirt.

Curcic had some ability. He had a brilliant season for Bolton the year before but he just didn't fit into Brian Little's way of playing.

Oh yeah he had loads of talent, brilliant dribbler but seemingly like all tricky foreign stars that arrive at VP, he went to shit the second he arrived. It really is amazing how many proven, talented foreign players whose careers nosedive after transferring to us.

Allback was one of the chief culprits in leaving us in fear of relegation that season, he was awful. Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo until the last few games. This "saved us from relegation" line is just silly he was guilty of getting us there in the first place

Our forward line that year really should have contributed a lot more. Angel, Dublin, Allback, Vassell, Crouch and young Stefan Moore, could probably count Balaban as well in that

Carson was way worse than Enckelman. Schmeichel was probably worse than Enckelman in the second half of the 01-02 season, a ridiculous amount of goals at fault of the "great" Dane.

Also Balaban has to be in the team. 6m for no goals whatsoever.

Essentially though its the 2002-03 team with a few additions.

Completely agree with all this post. Carson was so crap in 07/08. And Schmeichel was crap here, but because of his overall reputation and stature people forget that.

Enckelman is still without doub't our worst Premiership keeper. Scott Carson was superb up until he had that nightmare game for England against Croatia at Wembley & is still mentally shot to pieces because of it to this day. Last I heard he was plying his trade in that wonderful backwater of football known as Turkey.

As for Balaban, R Bear is 100% correct in his assessment & therefore with no goals whatsoever Balaban is now included in this crap team alongside the hideous lame donkey barn door Heskey and I am seriously considering making him captain too.

On second thought's that remains with Bannan!

Good to see Pires finally making an appearance on this page, but can we make room for RIchard Walker up front with De Bilde please?

Pires was indeed terrible. I think I remember one pass, maybe, when I thought hmm, perhaps he still has it. I was wrong.

Utterly pointless waste of time, effort and money. Total dog shit. I'm actually more pissed off my memory of a premier league legend was tainted.

"Let's put it this way, if Alpay had been defending at Gallipoli in World War 1 in 1915 then the great war would have ended 3 years earlier than the record books show!"

I applaud the historical reference villa-revolution and I recall he may have had Becks by the Dardanelles once in the tunnel at half time but up to then he was a decent central defender for us but he was dire afterwards and I think when he said afterwards on having had his contract terminated "I wanted to leave Aston Villa anyway. I am happy that we have resolved the situation." any objection I might have had in including him in the team went out the window it suggests he may have done this in an international game to work his way out of our club... 

Yes John, you are quite correct. Also I can confirm that it was indeed that unsavoury tunnel incident that you refer to that led to his Villa demise, Rumour has it that as they left the pitch Becks allegedly turned to Alpay & said, " You're not singing on Victoria's next Album, no way!"

The rest as they say is history! :)

dont_do_it_doug., on 05 May 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

OutByEaster?, on 02 May 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Good to see Pires finally making an appearance on this page, but can we make room for RIchard Walker up front with De Bilde please?

Pires was indeed terrible. I think I remember one pass, maybe, when I thought hmm, perhaps he still has it. I was wrong.

Utterly pointless waste of time, effort and money. Total dog shit. I'm actually more pissed off my memory of a premier league legend was tainted.

Remember the Blackburn games then he was great in those, the only team he performed against and he did it twice but apart from that, utter garbage

I do recall him playing well in the cup game, though that's one I missed. Don't remember him standing out in the other particularly. I think that's the pass I remember though, did a little turn to beat a man beforehand.

Crazy times.

I'm still seeing the names Alpay and Hendrie and my blood is still boiling (they were once my favourite Villa players!).

People remember Alpay for his meltdown after 1 good World Cup with Turkey - but fail to remember that we did not fill the Alpay sized hole in our defense until Laursen turned up. Alpay was an excellent defender up until that WC.

Hendrie? Again, people remember him for his off-field antics, his "wasted" talent and his inability to tackle - a vital stat for any creative midfielder, right? I remember him for playing a big part in our 2003-04 season and the link up play he had with Angel.

Are they in the best Villa team ever? Nope. But neither do they deserve a place in our worst.

Oh, and of course Hendrie can't shoot - hence this (still one of my favourite villa goals):

• Like 4

Totally agree with everything you said in that post, Oz. Especially about the ridiculous statement that Hendrie couldn't shoot. He scored a fair few goals for us and I think at least of those goals were great shots.

Alpay was brilliant, made team of the World Cup and then got his head turned think it was Dortmund and Taylor didnt want to play him after the derby, then came back in 03/04 and was starting to get a bit of form back until the Beckham debacle. Looking back that was a stupid reason to release him

Totally agree with everything you said in that post, Oz. Especially about the ridiculous statement that Hendrie couldn't shoot. He scored a fair few goals for us and I think at least of those goals were great shots.

I remember a run of games in 04/05 where he scored 3 or 4 screamers in the space of about 5 games.  I particularly remembers ones against Everton and Palace.

Hendrie was not 'really good' - not even close.

He had flashes of brilliance and always tried hard but he made so many basic mistakes and constantly gave the ball away cheaply with misplaced passes that should have been simple. He was a liability on the pitch and I was very pleased to see him leave.

Hendrie was not 'really good' - not even close.

He had flashes of brilliance and always tried hard but he made so many basic mistakes and constantly gave the ball away cheaply with misplaced passes that should have been simple. He was a liability on the pitch and I was very pleased to see him leave.

As if to prove my point Lee waste of space Hendrie couldn't even cut it at Kidderminster Harriers. Definitely one of the most over rated players of all time ever to insult the claret & blue shirt!

Â