Worst Premiership Villa Side Ever?

villa-revolution

Enckelman

Hutton - Alpay - Beye - Warnock

Kachloul - Leonhardsen - Kinsella - Djemba-Djemba

Balaban - Cole

Alpay not there on lack of ability, but for just how much grief he caused.

I didn't see Beye a lot .. But he wasn't bad against Chelsea ,, Was he ?!

The problem with him was that he used to take a lot of money .. without playing !!

Same as of MON players .. But for him he just played a countable minutes ! 

...................................Carson..........................

DLCruz.........Ridgewell........Clark.....JL Samuel

Boulding....Leonhardsen....Kinsella........Barry

......................Balaban.......Harewood..............,

Surely not Gareth Barry?

That's the one. You did read the rest of my post right? I explained this seemingly bizarre choice. I'll say again, excellent midfielder but utter pants on the left. Average crosser, no pace, couldn't dribble around a pensioner, an utter utter waste of time playing him out there.

DOL bought Solano for the other wing, we had Milner on loan ...now they could play out wide. I don't want to hear this 'Barry wasn't a winger he was a left midfielder' bullshit. Great servant for the club, brilliant defensive midfielder, but when DOL played him out wide he really was pants.

Edit- the quoting is a little messed up ^

Edited by Kingfisher

Think it is a bit harsh on Enckleman seeing his name so many times considering that his saves at the back end of one season kept us up (particularly away at West Ham I believe). Postma was far worse as a goalkeeper, bar one performance away at Arsenal in a 3-1 defeat that could have been 15 if it wasn't for the fact that Henry and co kept hitting the big dutchman. I'd also add Sorensen who was pretty terrible throughout his spell in a Villa shirt and got short shrift when MON turned up, although his signing of Scott Carson wasn't much better.

You simply can't pick Alpay, he was immense until he went off the rails and fell out with Mr Beckham and England in general, some of the other picks are odd, how can you pick Richard Walker who played 6 and scored 2? True he wasn't very good and is very lucky to have been a Premier League player considering the level of his ability but he did a job when the club was woefully short of strikers, can't argue with 1 in 3 either. We don't know how good Balaban was or why he was frozen out, so I don't see how he can be picked.

Calderwood came in and steadied the ship after Ugo had his eye socket obliterated, never the greatest or most inspiring player in the World but he did pretty well in a Villa shirt. I assume people have picked him because he is uninspiring as opposed to how he actually performed.

Edited by AndyClarke

Think it is a bit harsh on Enckleman seeing his name so many times considering that his saves at the back end of one season kept us up (particularly away at West Ham I believe). Postma was far worse as a goalkeeper, bar one performance away at Arsenal in a 3-1 defeat that could have been 15 if it wasn't for the fact that Henry and co kept hitting the big dutchman. I'd also add Sorensen who was pretty terrible throughout his spell in a Villa shirt and got short shrift when MON turned up, although his signing of Scott Carson wasn't much better.

Problem is we've had a lot of very good keepers playing in this league. Enckleman was the worst of that lot though, and if a player is classified as a "Blues Legend", I'm afraid they've really got to be in the mix.

Hodge saved by the Premier League requirements of this thread I see

Problem is we've had a lot of very good keepers playing in this league. Enckleman was the worst of that lot though, and if a player is classified as a "Blues Legend", I'm afraid they've really got to be in the mix.

Would say we have rarely had good goalkeepers between James and Freidel. Carson was probably worse, Kiraly, Taylor. never saw much of Postma but if couldnt get in ahead of an off form Sorensen he wasnt really much

Bosnich, Spink and Schmeichel are class keepers in my opinion man.....

I agree.

BUT, Schmeichel wasn't class when he played for us. He got dropped for Enckleman for goodness sake.

I would put Friedal as being one of the more useless. The only thing he could do was stop the ball if it came at him. Anything to the side, or commanding the area/defense he was the worse!

Or perhaps Given. Hasn't played much, but with his wages and his poor displays and cockups as got to be the worse all in.  (He use to be a top keeper, but we got him too late)

Rubbish.

Friedel wasn't amazing, but he was very good. To call him the most useless amongst some of the others we've had is madness.

Same with GIven. He started this season poorly and was rightly dropped, but everyone seems to forget that he was one of the reasons we stayed in the league last season. He was perfectly fine in goal last year.

Yes! You are quite right about Hodge! I would have made him ball boy had he been available &  placed him directly behind the goal at the Holte End so that he would have got Dogs.

I would also have specially instructed him to go directly into this great stand to retrieve the ball from  Bannon's corners & Heskey's shots :) .

Scum Hodge.............Definitely the most hated Villa player of all time. Lower than a snakes arse!

Fortunately, as you state, there was no Premiership formed when that clearing in the woods was takin' the piss!

We're really spoiled for right backs aren't we?

Hutton, Beye, Bardsley, De La Cruz, and then the ones we played there out of position; Gardner, Cuellar, Solano..

No wonder we're loving Lowton so much.. apart from Kyle Walker (one year loan) he's probably been our best right back since Mark Delaney.. (Mellberg wasn't too bad there but was never a proper right back).

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Â