UKIP Nutters

bickster

ut I will not do it at any price, so if it came to a decision that do we cast Ukip to the outer darkness of the non-attached group, or do a deal with a known prominent extremist in Europe, I would not do that deal.”

:crylaugh: 

So his standards for admittance are pretty low then. How extreme must a fellow be for UKIP to discard them? Holocaust Denier ffs. 

Mike Read, you have embarrased the kippers more than anyone could have wished. Thank you Sir:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29722860

Mike Read withdraws UKIP Calypso song

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read has requested a song he wrote in support of UKIP be withdrawn from sale following complaints that it was racist.

UKIP Calypso, performed with a mock Caribbean accent, sings the praises of party leader Nigel Farage.

"I am so sorry that the song unintentionally caused offence. It was never meant to, and I apologise unreservedly," Read said.

"I have told the record company to withdraw the single immediately."

Record label Angel Air declined to comment to the BBC.

The song, credited to The Independents, makes digs at Prime Minister David Cameron, Chancellor George Osborne and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

It makes references to tax, immigration and the European Union, with lines like: "With the EU we must be on our mettle/Want to change our lawnmowers and our kettles."

The song also features the lines: "The leaders committed a cardinal sin/Open the borders let them all come in/Illegal immigrants in every town/Stand up and be counted Blair and Brown."

_78403072_rexfeatures_4121774aw.jpgRead's song had the backing of UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who urged supporters to get it to number one

Shadow Business Secretary Chuka Umunna called the song "distasteful", while Labour MP David Lammy said it showed the party were "tone deaf elitists".

Conservative MP Nigel Evans added: "Why have they chosen a Jamaican calypso, which really represents a whole section of society they want to close the door to?

"I suppose it is their way of saying 'We are not racist', but it shows how out of touch they are."

Speaking to BBC Radio Berkshire on Monday, Read defended the song, saying he found the accusations of racism "extraordinary".

He added: "It's an old-fashioned political satire... you can't sing a calypso with a Surrey accent."

'A bit of fun'

He later told BBC London: "People are very, very, very quick to take offence now at something that years ago would have been deemed to be a bit of satire and a bit of fun.

"But now with social media everybody can assume that you meant something appalling by it, which of course I didn't. I've got so many chums out in the Caribbean. I've spent a lot of time out there."

In a Facebook message on Monday, UKIP said: "Our celebrity member Mike Read, the former Radio 1 DJ, has written a brand new single especially for UKIP and we need your help to get it to the top of the pop charts."

The song was released on iTunes and Amazon and the party said 20p from every 79p download would go to UKIP.

On Twitter, Mr Farage said: "Help get the UKIP Calypso by The Independents to Number 1."

ut I will not do it at any price, so if it came to a decision that do we cast Ukip to the outer darkness of the non-attached group, or do a deal with a known prominent extremist in Europe, I would not do that deal.”

:crylaugh: 

So his standards for admittance are pretty low then. How extreme must a fellow be for UKIP to discard them? Holocaust Denier ffs. 

Is he a denier ? I thought his claim was merely that Hitler wasn't the one that gave the orders for it / even aware of it (  Heydrich was often cited as the architect .. Ian Kershaw covers the intentionalists v functionalists argument quite well in one of his books  ) .. to my knowledge Kershaw is a respected historian not a Nazi sympathiser  / Holocaust denier ?

it's all a bit vague with regards to  Iwaszkiewicz tbh as i couldn't' actually find that many articles about him

Edited by tonyh29

So why is imitating a West Indian only offensive in certain contexts and not others?

Ali Campbell has built a career on it and I don't think he is bad at all.

His Jimmy Cliff is not exactly flawless but it ain't bad, either.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

By 'to an extent' do you mean Britain colonised a number of those islands and shipped many thousands of slaves to work on them?

You shouldn't need told that there is a considerable difference between that relationship and those the UK has with its European neighbours.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Â