UKIP Nutters

bickster

Yes, but... that's what it says.

:unsure:

Yep.

An idiom is used and the BBC report it; I (mistakenly. it would appear - though not uncommonly so) believe the wording to be incorrect and thus presume it either to be a typo or a mistake by the original speaker.

The mistake would seem to have been mine thus there isn't, nor was there ever, a typo.

Never mind our kid; part of the heritage of us working class types is being stuck with the inherited mangled idioms of the horny-handed sons of toil.

'You've got another 'think' coming' was always the standard usage amongst the workers.

Along with 'one fowl swoop' instead of 'one fell swoop', and too many others I don't care to recall.

It's all right for them who have spent their cosseted days trolling around university campuses, to put the likes of us right, but if you've spent your life knocking out widgets in the dark satanic mills, creating the wealth which gave the pedants a free education, then these lessons either come late or not at all.  :)

Never mind our kid; part of the heritage of us working class types is being stuck with the inherited mangled idioms of the horny-handed sons of toil.

'You've got another 'think' coming' was always the standard usage amongst the workers.

Along with 'one fowl swoop' instead of 'one fell swoop', and too many others I don't care to recall.

It's all right for them who have spent their cosseted days trolling around university campuses, to put the likes of us right, but if you've spent your life knocking out widgets in the dark satanic mills, creating the wealth which gave the pedants a free education, then these lessons either come late or not at all.  :)

No. You've lost me with all of that.

Apart from the confusion over whether it's think or thing and which one is the standard usage amongst the workers or Cameron and his ilk, I'm very much not to be included amongst those celebrating their mistakes as some sort of badge of class honour. It would seem only a short step from that to the waffle waitress's 'what are you reading for?'.

No. You've lost me with all of that.

Apart from the confusion over whether it's think or thing and which one is the standard usage amongst the workers or Cameron and his ilk, I'm very much not to be included amongst those celebrating their mistakes as some sort of badge of class honour. It would seem only a short step from that to the waffle waitress's 'what are you reading for?'.

So this is you, is it?

Well, well, that'll learn me.

It's think. Cameron's usage, unlike his management of the economy or his husbandry of his children in a pub at lunchtime, was surprisingly correct. Probably repetition without understanding, but, hey...

A good tweet I saw on the loathsome Cameron today said he seems like a cross between Captain Mainwaring and an Apprentice candidate. That sounds about right.

It's thing. I will admit that until today I hadn't even realised that people used think; I've never heard it said or read it as think.

Having had a bit of a read around, it looks like it started life in the UK as thing and was then corrupted by our colonial cousins in the US and Australia and now either version is accepted. Which is ironic, considering what this thread is about.

So, I prefer thing and don't like think, but I do like the idea that it's an interesting example of language changing and cultures coming together, and I hope it upsets Mr Farage.

According to this site (grammarist.com)

"The exact origins of another think coming are mysterious, but it appears to be an Americanism, and it does predate another thing coming in the sense expressing disagreement. It goes back at least a century. Here are a few old examples".

I'm so used to hearing people say 'thing' that I don't think I'd even notice if people used 'think' in speech anyway.

It just shows how iconic Thatcher's hair and blue outfits are, by the fact that anyone can be made to look like her.

or maybe it demonstrates in pictures how thin a piece of paper you would need to fill the gap between UKIP and the current conservatives.

Or the current labour party for that matter.

• Like 1

It just shows how iconic Thatcher's hair and blue outfits are, by the fact that anyone can be made to look like her.

or maybe it demonstrates in pictures how thin a piece of paper you would need to fill the gap between UKIP and the current conservatives.

How so?

of course, and the lib dems (though it's hard to see them as a political force anymore) at a practical level, the recent defections only demonstrates how little their must be between the two parties that politicians can so readily switch between them and still reconcile their beliefs and what they stand for within their new party. However I would say the closest parties ideology wise have to be ukip and the tory party

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

How so?

Since Blair and new Labour, the Labour party has been absolutely run on Thatcherist lines - if anything during Blairs time they were more Thatcherite than the Tories, and they haven't changed a bit. The inability to distinguish between the two main parties and the lack of any option other than the near identical policies espoused by both opens the door to UKIP and the like, people are looking for alternatives and reaching out on simple lines.

Someone that voted Labour in the eighties really should be voting for the Green Party today. Someone who voted Tory in the eighties can be quite comfortable voting Labour.

• Like 4

Â