Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We don't need to replace Bent! 

All these can play ST: Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Delfonz, Bowery, Burke, Drennan.  

Delfouneso isn't good enough.

I'd also rather not rely on Bowery or Burke / Drennan.

If Bent does go we need another striker.

Yeah thats right lets get Falcao to sit on our bench all season..... 

All these can play ST: Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Delfonz, Bowery, Burke, Drennan.  

How about Mauro Icardi from Sampdoria?

Reports are saying he'd cost about 10mil so it'd be a big one and seemingly Inter and Man City are in for him although big clubs get linked to a large majority of players.

OYV -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRXwFvTIoQ

We either bring in a backup quality striker or a young player because they know Benteke is always going to be prefered to them or we bring in a guy who can play both wide and up front so if there's a game Benteke is out Gabby can play through the middle and the new signing can play wide. I'd prefer the latter but there are arguments regarding distrubtion of wages amongst the various positions.

We don't need to replace Bent with an expensive striker, but I could see us bringing someone in if he goes. If Weimann, Gabby, Benteke starting most games, there is plenty of scope for cover/competition and we might want a more proven go-to option off the bench than Fonz/Bowery/Burke/Drennan.

would be a different situation if Benteke, Gabby, Weimann were competing for 1 or 2 spots.

• Like 1

That's quite a ridiculous leap if you don't mind me saying so. Well, I guess you probably do.

Reports are saying he'd cost about 10mil so it'd be a big one and seemingly Inter and Man City are in for him although big clubs get linked to a large majority of players.

OYV -

8 goals? 4 against Pescara. Hardly prolific.

I don't think Icardi will be the type of player we'll be after at all. I think we're set at the moment up top. I'd say any significant reinforcement will depend on Darren Bent and of course assuming Benteke stays which I think we are hopeful of. I'd expect similar transfer market behaviour from Lambert as last summer. I'd also like to see Lambert get the best out of some of the youngsters in this department. However, I expect the defensive (centre backs) situation to be assessed with significant investment. Someone with a proven track record is a must and maybe a few cunning buys from Lambert to address LB and solid CB backup. 

• Like 1

OYV -

8 goals? 4 against Pescara. Hardly prolific.

I thought he had ten in very little comparative game time?

Altidore didn't exactly pull up any trees when he in PL couple years ago, seems to be one of those players who excell in lower league like dutch eredivisie.

He was creating quite a few chances but him nor his Hull City teammates could finish the chances. It was a piss poor side he was playing in and that was his first real taste of quality football so I think he is allowed that slip up. He has done very well in the eredivisie. I think he can go to a better league now and do well. 

I don't think Icardi will be the type of player we'll be after at all. I think we're set at the moment up top. I'd say any significant reinforcement will depend on Darren Bent and of course assuming Benteke stays which I think we are hopeful of. I'd expect similar transfer market behaviour from Lambert as last summer. I'd also like to see Lambert get the best out of some of the youngsters in this department. However, I expect the defensive (centre backs) situation to be assessed with significant investment. Someone with a proven track record is a must and maybe a few cunning buys from Lambert to address LB and solid CB backup. 

Oh yeah I agree with you completely. I'd like an experienced Left back just at the end of their prime to challenge Bennett for his place but also for him to learn from and a centre half.

I only suggested Icardi in reference to if we did have a space for another forward.

I still think the space between the forwards and the midfield needs addressing though. I like the way we've played recently with three busy midfielders behind a creative (Busy too) and potent forward line but I wouldn't mind if a player with the same attributes I listed for Left back came in at attacking Midfield.

Still feel they could do with some on the pitch guidance even if Lambert feels they've gone in at the deep end and it's made them stronger and wiser.

Why is everyone on about strikers. Thats the last position we need to fill. If the right player came along im sure lambert would take him, but im pretty sure thats not top of his list.

• Like 2

If Wigan go, I'd be putting in a bid for Kone to replace Bent.

Imagine how much Whelan is going to want for him. Buying from Wigan is going to be difficult while he's there.

LB is the main concern for me, don't like to write off young players but I just don't see how Bennett is ever going to cut it.

If Wigan go, I'd be putting in a bid for Kone to replace Bent.

Agree in regards to Kone. Would give us something we don't currently have. Wouldn't mind McMannaman or Maloney either.

According to The Sun (I know, I know) we've signed Dwight Gayle from Peterborough.

Was just about to post that, i know diddly about him. Don't have time to follow lower league english football.

Anyone who knows anything about him? The reported £4 million seems a bit (very) steep