Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

So how is Ideye? I think I have seen him play but no idea on how kind of a player he is

He's a goalscorer really - pretty athletic, good in the air, has pretty good positioning... I think he'd be a good acquisition but I'm not sure where he'd fit in the current system, he's more comfortable on the ball than Bent is but will still be looking to be the focal point and score goals, which is also what Benteke does. That might not be such a bad thing though. He's not the number 10, in the hole player we've been rumoured to be after but he's good nonetheless. 

Yeah but it might make sense. From what I understand, we will not use Helenius as a back up for Benteke, but maybe someone who could play up with benteke or play as a wing? Should have another striker who can put in goals if benteke is injured/tired/whatever. We will see, I am more interested in a playmaker AM.

Yeah but it might make sense. From what I understand, we will not use Helenius as a back up for Benteke, but maybe someone who could play up with benteke or play as a wing? Should have another striker who can put in goals if benteke is injured/tired/whatever. We will see, I am more interested in a playmaker AM.

You do realise Helenius is a striker as well? If Benteke is injured he'll just have to fill that role. Yeah there's talk about him supporting him like Gabby or Weimann or play up front with him but he can obviously slot in Benteke's place as well lol

Just for lols

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is said to be mulling a £6 million bid for Liverpool’s Stewart Downing, as the club seeks to add experience to a talented but young team.

Villa were almost relegated last season and the manager is determined to bring in an older head to help both on the playing side and in the dressing room.

Lambert has a number of possibilities including another former Villa player Gareth Barry who is currently in contract extension talks with Manchester City.

Since leaving Villa for Liverpool for £20 million, Downing, 29, has had a wretched time and although Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has not given up on the player, club sources suggest that if the right bid came along he would be allowed to leave. Downing himself is keen to stay and fight for his place.

The biggest stumbling block to any move would be the player’s £70,000 a-week wages, though a low transfer fee could mitigate that.

http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/17232/aston-villa-run-eye-over-liverpool-fcs-downing/

You do realise Helenius is a striker as well? If Benteke is injured he'll just have to fill that role. Yeah there's talk about him supporting him like Gabby or Weimann or play up front with him but he can obviously slot in Benteke's place as well lol

Yes...I have seen him play so I obviously knows that. Doesn`t change the fact that Lambert might have other plans for him, just throwing it out there that Helenius might not only be used as a backup striker, so we might need another one for that. It`s not like Benteke will continue to be here for a couple of years anyway.

I never cared for Luke Murphy to be fair, I don't know why most people here bigged him up.

for the past 2 - 3 years i have been watching crewe it was all about westwood when the pair where together, altough Murphy is a fantastic player too

I never cared for Luke Murphy to be fair, I don't know why most people here bigged him up.

for the past 2 - 3 years i have been watching crewe it was all about westwood when the pair where together, altough Murphy is a fantastic player too

I've watched Murphy only twice (their promotion playoff and their cup final) and while he is pretty good, I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't go for him. Definitely think Westwood is better, and also think he is riding the coattails of Westwood's popularity just a little bit around here.

• Like 2

Brown didnt really look good for Nigeria in Confederations Cup

Dunno - I saw him play for Dinamo.

He was awful in the Confeds Cup, my Nigerian friends think he's rubbish too and say he shouldn't even be in the squad.

If Lambo wants him though, I'll back him.

if we get a RB it'll be a young one, the number 10 central attacking midfielder is the one that interests me the most. I don't think we'll sign the finished article there as these players are few and far between and an established one would be stupid money and wages. 

We need to see the back of given, bent, nzogbia, ireland, hutton. than you could then add bannan (sorry con) and the fonz maybe too. although I'd like him to have a last chance to shine, he's such a frustrating player as he looks to have great natural talent. 

if all of those go, then perhaps we'd be looking at another couple coming in. so if they go maybe 9 signings total for this summer. benteke is the big question mark here though, if he goes then we will spend big on a couple of players I think.

It's hard to say, no-one expected us to do our business so quickly and sign 6 players before the end of June. Lambert said he wanted 6 players and he's signed 6. It might go a bit quiet now for a while whilst he tries to find clubs for the big earners who've underperformed or just don't fit anymore,

Brown didnt really look good for Nigeria in Confederations Cup

Dunno - I saw him play for Dinamo.

He was awful in the Confeds Cup, my Nigerian friends think he's rubbish too and say he shouldn't even be in the squad.

If Lambo wants him though, I'll back him.

There's the best example of blind faith i've seen yet on this forum.