Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

James Chester has snubbed Aston Villa and Newcastle to sign a new deal with Hull - THE SUN

Didn't even know we were interested in him? Wasn't that impressed by him last season I think Baker and Clark are better.

I think next few weeks going to be very interesting indeed !

Hopefully there really is no smoke without fire and Newcastle press ahead and sign Bent quickly, so as to (try and) appease their fans over the Kinnear hilarity.

• Like 1

People saying "if Lambert wants him then I'll back him" isn't blind faith because Lambert has proven that he can make some good signings.

And he has also proven that he can make poor signings as well.

• Like 1

People saying "if Lambert wants him then I'll back him" isn't blind faith because Lambert has proven that he can make some good signings.

Every manager makes poor signings. On the whole so far Lambert has proven himself to be very shrewd in the transfer market and that's why people have faith in him. It's not blind faith as you claimed.

But seeing as his transfer record overall has been very good then I think the objective appraisal of backing him without any other knowledge would be describing it as giving him the benefit of the doubt rather than blind faith.

I think the AM we sign is going to be someone who is versatile enough to play in a wide role and also, at a push, in a central midfield role. It's widely rumoured (guessed) that because all the other players have been fairly cheap, that this AM will probably be a bit more expensive (I'd imagine £5m-£8m), and I can't see us spending that kind of money on a player who would be dropped to the bench for all the games that we play 4-3-3.

Just my guess-work, all imo.

So lets get this straight. We should have unquestionable faith in Lambert because he's made several good signings yet ignore the bad ones he's made and that's my point.

Not unquestionable faith. Nobody is suggesting that because that is ridiculous. That is just a straw man argument you've created.

You should give him the benefit of the doubt. If plays poorly then I'm sure he'll be criticised but I really can't see why you have a problem with being supportive of a (nearly free) signing made by a manager who more often than not makes good ones.

So lets get this straight. We should have unquestionable faith in Lambert because he's made several good signings yet ignore the bad ones he's made and that's my point.

Nobody said we should have unquestionable faith, but he certainly deserves at least a little bit of faith and people who are saying that they trust him with regards to signing players they don't know much about definitely aren't doing so out of "blind faith".

No one has unquestionable faith at all, I don't have any idea whether the players purchased will be good or not. I just don't buy this you have to have experience to actually be decent, experience does help but are you telling me Hutton could score a goal like Lowton did even though one has more experience than the other. When we lose it has sod all to do with experience, we just are not good enough. People keep throwing this look at our defence, have you just remembered our defence was also atrocious under McLeish, it was only due to the fact he played 11 men behind the ball that we occasionally kept a clean sheet. Lambert's strategy may not work but it just might. We can sit here saying well not all his signings worked but if you take the value of the likes of Lowton, Sylla, Westwood and Benteke, it certainly outweighs the loss.

Nobody said we should have unquestionable faith, but he certainly deserves at least a little bit of faith and people who are saying that they trust him with regards to signing players they don't know much about definitely aren't doing so out of "blind faith".

Its more about supporting the manager and players of our club, than it is having faith.

Whoever Lambert brings in, I'll back him and them until they give me reasoning not to.

• Like 1

It is a bit premature to judge signings as bad though, ones that people will probably think of are El Ahmadi, Bennett & Bowery.

With El Ahmadi I don't see much difference between his and Petrov's first seasons, in fact I'd argue that Petrov had the luxury of better players around him to hide some of his flaws.

Bennett has been very poor at times, and good the odd game, he's a young lad, only 23 and deserves more time, next year will be massive for him and competition from Luna will be good.

Bowery, was bought for next to nothing and although a questionable signing hasn't done bad when he's slotted in.

It is actually blind faith if you make the statement if Lambert wants him I'll back him even though you know nothing about the player. 

Lambert has made one fantastic signing in benteke and several very good signings but he has also made poor signings so I just don't get why we should back him on every signing he makes and that for me is showing blind faith.

• Like 1