Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

The players that have left didn't really offer us much in playing time if we look at the likes of Dunne, Marshall, Dawkins. Only Holman and Lichaj were part of first team set up last season. If Ireland leaves, he didn't even feature in the latter part, Hutton leaves same, Bent leaves his replacement is Helenius. If you think Given, Ireland, Bent and Hutton probably command around 200k, now I'm not brilliant at Maths, but between them they played how many games, I'd say 20 max including cup games.

Too true, it's called Math

Sorry

What about Dzagoev from CSKA Moscow. Exciting talent but has fallen off the radar a bit after staring for Russia in the Euro's  

Would defo take if motivated to join for the right reasons, could be an Arshavin waiting to happen though

What about Dzagoev from CSKA Moscow. Exciting talent but has fallen off the radar a bit after staring for Russia in the Euro's  

Would defo take if motivated to join for the right reasons, could be an Arshavin waiting to happen though

True although i think it a bit harsh to compare him to Arshavin (personality wise) just because they are both Russian and play n the same position. Hopefully he would be eager to prove himself in the Prem and secure himself a spot in Russia's WC squad. 

Yes i know that but several players have also left which again substantiates my point.

Bent, Given and Ireland combined are probably on a combined 170k+. I don't think Lerner would have a problem with the wage bill if we were getting value for money but we're clearly not with those 3 still here.

With Bent it's a case of the manager just not playing him so it would be impossible for Bent to give us value for money. Its the same with Given. Given is still good enough to be a Premiership keeper but its the manager's decision not to play him and again it would therefore be impossible for Given to give us value for money. Ireland has been a total waste of space and i would agree he has not and never will give value for money.

In those circumstances however all three need to be moved on and in the case of Bent and Given that should not be too much of a problem as both players want to play rather than happily taking a wage while benched so it should not affect our transfer policy too much.

Of the players remaining who we do want rid off is there going to be much difficulty in moving Bent and Given before the end of the window? The only major difficulty i see is in moving Ireland but should that determine our transfer activity?

This is all speculation on our part because we don't know whether transfers are tied to departures. We're just assuming it. But assuming we're right for the purposes of discussion, it is my view that guessing whether there will be difficulty shifting Bent and Given is not a tactic they are willing to employ. They don't want to gamble on it because they've gambled like that for long enough. It's not whether there'll be difficulty or not. It's whether they go or not. We've had too high a wage bill for long enough and it has to come down. It has been coming down consistently and it's probably almost at the level it needs to be at, with a few more departures. He's not against paying high wages but they have to be on important players like Gabby or Benteke rather than on the bench warmers.

I'm sorry but it was a major question for me this window in how the chairman was going to invest in the club and i am disappointed to see that for the moment we do seem to be still exercising a sell to buy policy even with several players off the wage bill.

I have trouble accepting such a definitive judgement given the level of activity we've seen and the fact that we're still nearly a full week from the start of July.

Referring to the highlighted text in your post above BOF i can see your point and the point of the club but is it really much of a gamble to expect Bent and Given gone by the end of the window?

You will also note the highlighted text in my post and it does seem that a sell to buy policy is being exercised at the moment but of course that could change and i would certainly welcome that.

Edited by Morpheus

Oh Ginko, my simple "like" is frankly inadequate in articulating my appreciation of your post.  Played, sir.  Played. :lol:

i wholeheartedly concur

Mine is adequate. It was alright. :D

The players that have left didn't really offer us much in playing time if we look at the likes of Dunne, Marshall, Dawkins. Only Holman and Lichaj were part of first team set up last season. If Ireland leaves, he didn't even feature in the latter part, Hutton leaves same, Bent leaves his replacement is Helenius. If you think Given, Ireland, Bent and Hutton probably command around 200k, now I'm not brilliant at Maths, but between them they played how many games, I'd say 20 max including cup games.

Sorry

I thought it was Math if you're American and Maths if you're British/Colonial?? (Being short for Mathematics an' all). Or am I missing some other point?

Sorry

I thought it was Math if you're American and Maths if you're British/Colonial?? (Being short for Mathematics an' all). Or am I missing some other point?

Yeah, it is maths. Banned from H&V has been whacked over the head with a baseball bat. 

Also, there is no need for the capitalisation.  ;)

• Like 1

Thought I'd throw up a couple of names that would seemingly fit the "profile" (such as there is) of obscure players we could look at for the creative midfielder role. All from "lesser" European leagues and all U-21 internationals with their respective countries...

Robert Žulj

Domagoj Antolić

Mislav Oršić

Petros Mantalos

Great stuff Gareth. I'd seen Zulj and Orsic before. I'll have to look in to these other two you mention, very interesting.

What about zilly malingi zimbu who plays for tim buk 2.

27 goals, 12 assists in the kenyan league.

Plays as a no10

• Like 1

Oh Ginko, my simple "like" is frankly inadequate in articulating my appreciation of your post.  Played, sir.  Played. :lol:

i wholeheartedly concur

Mine is adequate. It was alright. :D

Gareth, Richard, I thank you.

8pints, I bet 2quartz loved it.

• Like 1

Thought I'd throw up a couple of names that would seemingly fit the "profile" (such as there is) of obscure players we could look at for the creative midfielder role.  All from "lesser" European leagues and all U-21 internationals with their respective countries...

Robert Žulj

Domagoj Antolić

Mislav Oršić

Petros Mantalos

"Coming soon to a Twitter ITK near you!"

What is an ITK?  :D

I think I once read "in the knowledge"...

Does that mean someone who has personal connections to the club? (eg. a friend who works at the ground)

Sry....Swiss  :blush:

I could pick holes in your post all day..

• Like 1

What is an ITK?  :D

I think I once read "in the knowledge"...

Does that mean someone who has personal connections to the club? (eg. a friend who works at the ground)

Sry....Swiss  :blush:

Close..."In the know"

Thought I'd throw up a couple of names that would seemingly fit the "profile" (such as there is) of obscure players we could look at for the creative midfielder role.  All from "lesser" European leagues and all U-21 internationals with their respective countries...

Robert Žulj

Domagoj Antolić

Mislav Oršić

Petros Mantalos

Great stuff Gareth. I'd seen Zulj and Orsic before. I'll have to look in to these other two you mention, very interesting.

If Gareth and Wes were to have a child, surely he would be some kind of super scout!

54784d1285619053-super-scout.jpg