Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Dale Stephens is still locked up in a hotel room waiting for Villa to sign a "name" before we reveal him.

Not that one, HairyHands is the person I was talking about.

What ITK info did Hairyhands come up with? I can't remember.

Does anyone remember the guy that came on a while back and said 'I am privvy to information that you are not, and will never be privvy to'. I liked him. He knew nothing :D

• Like 1

Guzan

Lowton  Vlaar  Dragovic Santon

Sylla  Westwood

Weimann  De Bruyne  Gabby

Benteke 

Edited by Daniel1Avfc
  • Like 2

Think Lambert will have freedom to tinker a fair bit, so I'm expecting quite a few changes. This'll be the first summer for about 4 yrs where we've got a manager in place from the season before who will have been able to make plans coming into it (admittedly complicated by the question of relegation).

The main selling priorities will surely be Given, Dunne, Bent, Ireland, Makoun, Hutton. i.e all the older players on big contracts who made little-to-no contribution this season. Would be great if we can sell/release them all as that'll give a lot of room in the wage bill.

Then there's a couple like El Ahmadi, N'Zogbia, Holman who haven't really cemented place, but we'll probably keep in the squad for another season (esp. as if we clear out the first list, these 3 plus Vlaar, Gabby, Guzan would be the only remaining players aged 25+)

after that I think there's a few youngsters who could leave but we'd also happily keep as squad players (depends on contracts etc): Albrighton, Lichaj, Herd, Bannan, Stevens, Delfouneso

for signings I'm thinking we might buy a similar range to last summer: 3 or 4 from lower leagues in the <£3m range (like Westwood/Lowton/Bennett/Bowery), 2 or 3 more experienced ones from Europe in the Vlaar/ElAhmadi mould and then maybe one more expensive signing (a la Benteke). Hopefully the latter would be in midfield.

Absolutely no chance we'll get De Bruyne. He is way too good for us and will cost in excess of £15 million. Also even if we do get him, if you were Kevin De Bruyne, would you want to go to come to us? It'll be very much like Clint Dempsey at the start of the season. In my opinion, the most high profile player we could get is Scott Sinclair.

Edited by Cambridge-AVFC

I want to see us make a major statement of intent this window by going head to head with some of the bigger guns for some big, big marquee signings. (Especially with the new TV Deal.)

Out bidding all comers for De Bruyne would do just that.

Lambert can then use his fantastic knowledge of the lower leagues to unearth other hidden gems to supplement  & strengthen the squad further.

Bottom Line - We do not want to be involved in next season's bloody relegation battle in any shape or form.

• Like 1

I want to see us make a major statement of intent this window by going head to head with some of the bigger guns for some big, big marquee signings. (Especially with the new TV Deal.)

Lambert can then use his fantastic knowledge of the lower leagues to unearth other hidden gems to supplement  & strengthen the squad further.

Bottom Line - We do not want to be involved in next season's bloody relegation battle in any shape or form.

personally i couldn't give a monkeys about "marquee signings", i hope we don't go down that route as it would go against what PL and the club have set out as a direction and which is starting to bear fruit. why abandon it so soon? i'd rather trust PL to sign 6 young players to give a lot of depth to the squad and more competition. if only 3 of them turn out to be really good players at this level then it's a success. instead of spunking the same (or more) money on 1 player and putting all our eggs in one primadonna highly paid basket. who could turn out to be a basket case anyway.

i'm not saying we don't need to sign talent but our recent history should be enough to learn that just throwing cash at the squad isn't going to work.

• Like 1

Guzan

Sylla  Westwood

Benteke 

Jesus if we can line out like that in August we'll be doing well

personally i couldn't give a monkeys about "marquee signings", i hope we don't go down that route as it would go against what PL and the club have set out as a direction and which is starting to bear fruit. why abandon it so soon? i'd rather trust PL to sign 6 young players to give a lot of depth to the squad and more competition. if only 3 of them turn out to be really good players at this level then it's a success. instead of spunking the same (or more) money on 1 player and putting all our eggs in one primadonna highly paid basket. who could turn out to be a basket case anyway.

i'm not saying we don't need to sign talent but our recent history should be enough to learn that just throwing cash at the squad isn't going to work.

I endorse your sentiments Romavillan so to clarify I want to see us strike a balance. 2 or 3 big signings & further additions from the lower leagues. Also Lambert has not wasted any money so far so I'm sure he can be trusted & has earned the right to spend a bit.

The fans also need to be rewarded for the loyalty, patience & understanding shown this nightmare of a season. No question.

News floating around that De Bruyne could be on his way to Dortmund in a player+cash deal for Lewandowski or as part of a deal for André Schürrle from Leverkusen.

We'd do well to be even in that race.

Still think we need a proper dm who can pass. Sylla delph are good for depth but not as regular starters. Cb left back and winger / striker

Guzan

Sylla  Westwood

Benteke 

Just buy those 3 players (Dragovic, Santon and De Bruyne) and we're set.  We'd have good back-ups at all positions. If Bent is sold, might need an extra forward. 

Take Adam le Fondre off Reading. He's well able to bang them in and is used to being an effective super sub. 11 league goals this season for them is a very decent haul.

Take Adam le Fondre off Reading. He's well able to bang them in and is used to being an effective super sub. 11 league goals this season for them is a very decent haul.

this for me. swapping him for Bent in our squad would be a no-brainer

Not-entirely-useless stat of the day: Excluding players with negligible game-time, Adam Le Fondre's goals-per-minute ratio this campaign is only bettered by Van Persie, Suárez, Dzeko and Chicarito.