Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

But why?

Why is lambert being made to suffer for the mistakes of others? Signing a couple of players while keeping the bomb squad isn't going to bankrupt us. In fact finishing higher in the league could cover the extra money we spend and make us more attractive last summer.

I don't see why Lambert isn't being fully backed this summer. Actually that's a lie, I do, it's most likely because the owner is only interested in keeping us in the league and keeping costs down.

I saw something the other day where David Sullivan was saying they couldn't sign any more players at West Ham until they got rid of some, as their wage bill was at the maximum under the new Premier League regulations.

Obviously Sullivan is full of shit but maybe the clubs hands are tied by the wage bill/regulations.

He also said they were finding it impossible to shift the players they have got as you couldn't even give free transfers as so much had to be paid to them.

Edited by roadoftrinity

I would really like to see another one or two come in during this window and I would trust Lambo to make the best possible use of any money that is made available to him as he has done to date.

Without a further signing we will progress from where we were last season but with a touch more support we might do even better. Now is the time to take full advantage of still having Benteke with us. A solid season spent in the top half and possibly a cup win might yet prove enough for Benteke to want to still be a part of this football club next season which would be seen as a club that is moving upwards at a decent pace.

• Like 1

I'd be happy with the current squad providing Lambert has a plan to make better use of what we have.

I see that Delph is becoming a little more confident and adventurous pushing forward and I'm wondering if he's being developed for the CAM role.

I don't think we can judge anything from a game against League One Rotherham.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of that statement. It's clear to see that Delphs game has improved over several games.

Edited by Sunny*Nunny

But why?

Why is lambert being made to suffer for the mistakes of others? Signing a couple of players while keeping the bomb squad isn't going to bankrupt us. In fact finishing higher in the league could cover the extra money we spend and make us more attractive last summer.

I don't see why Lambert isn't being fully backed this summer. Actually that's a lie, I do, it's most likely because the owner is only interested in keeping us in the league and keeping costs down.

I saw something the other day where David Sullivan was saying they couldn't sign any more players at West Ham until they got rid of some, as their wage bill was at the maximum under the new Premier League regulations.

Obviously Sullivan is full of shit but maybe the clubs hands are tied by the wage bill/regulations.

He also said they were finding it impossible to shift the players they have got as you couldn't even give free transfers as so much had to be paid to them.

I can see most PL teams going for paying less money for average players than before. A lot of the average PL players are on 40-60k salaries and now clubs are finding out that maybe it's not a good idea to pay players like Collins 40-50k, especially since they can get as good foreign players for maybe half of that.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

if not being able to buy new players is because of the bomb squad, then i believe it, who would want any of them? and this isnt to say that randy hasnt backed paul because he has, more so than he did with mccleish, but finances will always dictate, paul has a duty to manage every player at his disposal, including the outcast lads, as much as he doesnt want to

Its pretty normal that if you want to buy 1, 2 or possibly 3 players and are situated in a table position similar to ours then you will spend more on each player compared to those who need to buy in bulk.

We've bought 6 players, Sunderland are another example who have brought in 12.

You can't spend as much per player if you need more of them.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Not signing anyone else would be fine with me. People need a bit of patience. If we go with what we have now, then we'll still be in a better position to strengthen next summer and may be able to bring in a higher caliber of attacking midfielder than we can right now

Remember the same said last summer.

and did it not turn out to be the case? there's no point in us spending 15m on a player at the moment - if we wait a season or 2 we'll get a much better calibre of 15m player - and one that's less likely there for the money. our signings have been just fine. in fact, triple the price we paid for everyone and i'd still be of the same opinion. oddly, had we actually paid thrice as much for all of lambert's signings the people complaining now would probably be happier

• Like 1

Not signing anyone else would be fine with me. People need a bit of patience. If we go with what we have now, then we'll still be in a better position to strengthen next summer and may be able to bring in a higher caliber of attacking midfielder than we can right now

I see what your saying, but if we manage to end up mid table next summer WITH Benteke how far will we fall once he's sold ?

Better players will not stick around a mid table club when bigger sides come sniffing. And i don't mean just Benteke, There has to be some ambition otherwise why would any decent player want to stop ?

we're not getting any higher than mid table with or without benteke though. that's kinda the point. spend the money when you need to spend it to move forwards. we can move forward as far as we're realistically going to this season without spending a ton of money. then we might spend a bit more next year. then when we've had a coupleof seasons top 8, we might actually spend a lot more. not saying we will, but why buy a 15m player now who's going to want to leave next summer when we don't finish top 6, when instead we could finish in roughly the same position and buy a better player next season - and one who might stick round a bit longer

The gutting thing is we were above spuds 4 or 5 years ago. Their transfer dealings this summer will see them with less of a net spend than us. Yet they have added on paper real class.

If only O'neil had been more astute with his signings, then Lerner hadn't got the next two managerial appointments so badly wrong. What could & might have been.

At least we have a clear plan in place and now. We are buying players like spuds do more often than not that hooefully have a good resalable value.

Thank mcgrath benteke stayed! hopefully he has another great season and if we have to sell him next summer we can for £40-50 million to Real, chelski, PSG, Citeh etc. Then reinvest that money in the next level of quality of players.

I'd be happy with the current squad providing Lambert has a plan to make better use of what we have.

I see that Delph is becoming a little more confident and adventurous pushing forward and I'm wondering if he's being developed for the CAM role.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of that statement. It's clear to see that Delphs game has improved over several games.

Delph's playing style hasn't changed over the first four games so on that evidence he's not being developed for another role.

One forward run into huge amounts of space offered by the Rotherham defence doesn't make him an attacking central midfielder.

The gutting thing is we were above spuds 4 or 5 years ago. Their transfer dealings this summer will see them with less of a net spend than us. Yet they have added on paper real class.

Although it is gutting to see Spurs rise so much whilst we've fallen so much considering our positions 4/5 years ago, it is very unfair to compare our net spends and transfer dealings this summer. We've hardly sold anyone and got a huge wage bill for our position, Tottenham are about to sell someone to Real Madrid for a world record fee. They've been add top quality players because of this, and if Bale stayed this summer there net spend would be a lot, lot higher than ours. Also, Spurs will be challenging for the Top 4, we'll be challenging for the top half (or possibly survival).

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with the rest of your post though, spot on for what we need to do for the next few seasons if we want to get back to where we were 4/5 years ago.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Delph's playing style hasn't changed over the first four games so on that evidence he's not being developed for another role.

One forward run into huge amounts of space offered by the Rotherham defence doesn't make him an attacking central midfielder.

I think some of your heat maps for the last several games will show otherwise.

• Like 1

That's got to be the plan thabucks.

- Push on from last season, hopefully finish respectfully mid-table, possibly top 10.

- If Benteke is sold, then aim to get £40m/£50m from a huge club

- With the Benteke-money, bring in 4 or 5 players like Benteke/Okore. Players who are known, up-and-coming talents with great potential.

We could, by then, have a good squad and first team with great potential for the future.

Eventually looking something like this, maybe:

------------ Guzan ------------

Lowton - New CB - Okore --- Luna

---- Westwood ----- New CB ----

New AMR --- New AMC ----- Gabby

------------ New ST -----------

Bench: Steer, Vlaar, Baker, Sylla, Delph, Tonev, Weimann

Squad: Bennett, Clark, Bacuna, Helenius, Carruthers/ Grealish/ Burke etc

• Like 1

benteke, Westwood, lowton, values have all gone up by at least x6 Add to that that hopefully okore proving to be quality along with helenius. Borh very astute buys.

Coupled with delphs improvement over this last 8 months, his value is at least back up to what we paid. And then you have sylla coming in for peanuts and performing better than expected. We have assets which are appreciating fast in value rather than depreciating. We are on the right path it's just a long one and we are taking our first steps.

• Like 2

Although it is gutting to see Spurs rise so much whilst we've fallen so much considering our positions 4/5 years ago, it is very unfair to compare our net spends and transfer dealings this summer. We've hardly sold anyone and got a huge wage bill for our position, Tottenham are about to sell someone to Real Madrid for a world record fee. They've been add top quality players because of this, and if Bale stayed this summer there net spend would be a lot, lot higher than ours. Also, Spurs will be challenging for the Top 4, we'll be challenging for the top half (or possibly survival).

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with the rest of your post though, spot on for what we need to do for the next few seasons if we want to get back to where we were 4/5 years ago.

Spuds have been buying players wisely and with a bit of luck that have risen in value massively. Berbatov and carrick bought for £13.25 mill sold on to man utd for £46.75 mill. Now for everyone of those there is a Bentley. But it has allowed them to reinvest in better players the money they have generated by sales. Keeping the money from TV, hospitality & tickets and prize money to invest in wages and keep in the bank. I bet spuds owners have actually put in a fraction of what lerners spent out of his own pocket. With a hell of lot more to show. If only O'neil then houllier and McCleish had invested more wisely :( for all the good selling young Milner and downing we pissed it away on Given, nzogbia , makoun, bent, reo- cocker, Davies, sidwell, etc etc

Edited by thabucks

I think some of your heat maps for the last several games will show otherwise.

Here are the heat maps for Delph over the last three Premier League games. Let last one (vs Liverpool) has been flipped to make it the same side as the two away games.

I think it's fair to say this heat map is not of an attacking center midfielder. So far he's been playing left center mid, left center defensive mid.

2ebzaqq.png

I wouldn't be against giving Delph licence to get forward if he doesn't have that already.

see i think our 3 in midfield.. regardless of who we pick are defensive focussed. You rarely see one making a run into the box the way Delph did in the league cup.

How many goals did our midfield score last year? How many goals did we score from set pieces/free kicks. A handful at best. Its clear what we require. A hard working central midfielder who likes to get forward and be good at set pieces. Kiyotake would be perfect but is too expensive. I would think Lambert has cheaper alternatives with these attributes. Hes not stupid. He knows what is missing. I just hope Randy backs him..