Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

CAM needed. Agree with a lot of the posts on here addressing this problem. The energy is great, work ethic is great, counter attacking is great, but as soon as the opposition has time to get back and shut up shop we cant break them down. Our attack is quality but imagine a CAM (e.g. coutinho) behind them we'd be fecking ruthless. Also the rest of the midfield could then be more focused on helping to cover the defense rather than pegging it box to box all the time. - possibly kill two birds with one stone. 

I would be amazed if we signed anyone else this window.

I think the opposite. He's bought the majority of them in of course, early, as per the plan, but now he'll have had ample time to assess in live terms the overall ability of the squad and he'll go out and get a late one to shore things up. I think it will be an attacking mid yes and I think he'll be a more finished article.

I think the opposite. He's bought the majority of them in of course, early, as per the plan, but now he'll have had ample time to assess in live terms the overall ability of the squad and he'll go out and get a late one to shore things up. I think it will be an attacking mid yes and I think he'll be a more finished article.

Hope you're right but I very much doubt it. We had a very tough start and got 3 points from it. Lambert himself said he would have taken 3 points from those 3 games if offered them at the start of the season. That tells me he'll be happy to go with what he's got now.

to be fair, within 3 transfer windows,PL has bought 5 midfielders in westwood, el ahmadi, sylla, tonev and bacuna, you would think he would have everything the team needs by now...

I'd say 3, in wetswood, kea and sylla. Tonev being a forward winger and bacuna more of a ultilty player.

Another 2 goals for Alfred Finnbogason making it 6 in 4 games in 3-3 draw against Ajax!!! Should snap this dude up dunno why no one apart from Celtic have no bid on him yet! Can play the Att Mid role or alternate with the 3 main strikers (Gabby, Benteke and Weimann)

I think we will see another signing. Much like last summer IMO Lambert is waiting for the right "marquee" signing before making his move. Last summer we signed Westwood and Benteke on deadline day and I would hope that this year we will spend a similar amount of money again in the next week. We have spent £12m net so far which, given the increase to our revenue from the TV deal (and likely reduction in our wage bill) is not a great deal compared to what other Premier League clubs have spent and even compared to what we spent last summer.

Having spent £20m or so last summer I would expect us to do something similar this season at least. Would imagine we are still trying to find clubs for Given, Bannan and Ireland before we make any further moves though, which is a depressing thought.

I'd be amazed if we don't. After 3 seasons flirting with relegation, and with the huge extra income from Sky any side not using it to improve their squads need their heads looking at

I reckon we've spent about 8m tops at the moment.

Pigeon feed

I wouldn't be 'amazed' either way. I think there's a possibility that we could sign someone but if we don't then we don't. Of course as a fan I'd like us to. Preferably at 11:50 with Pete Colley outside VP :)

we dont need to spend money for the sake of it, dont we still owe the lerner family quite alot?

we shouldnt spend because we have it, we should spend it if we really need to, we could be stable for half a season and not really need to strengthen, but if we get a major injury were down on our luck

plus im liking the idea of not buying from our league rivals, its simple maths that by paying extorsionate amounts to them for players is in theory making them stronger with the ability to buy better from abroad at a lower cost when we could be doing that

for whatever reasons lerner had for cutting the purse strings with oneill and not even letting mcleish near any lose change, there does seem more confidence in lambert

I really, really do hope we spend at least another £8-10M this transfer window. Otherwise your looking forward to the old bog standard cliche " It's really, really difficult to sign players in January because most clubs have done their business in the Summer & don't want to let players go."

If that's the case? Bloody well sign 'em up now.

only players available in january are cast offs, who we used to have a keen interest in snapping up, its a desperation window

£7m-£8m on an AM and £4m-£5m on a CB will see us sorted till jan, hopefully we wont need to strengthen come jan, just snap up a couple of talented youngers like a winger/wing forward