Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Thing is, we already have 4 CBs + Lowton who can also play there, as can Herd (albeit not very well).

True - But Vlaar is only Adequate, Okore, whilst I have high hopes for him - is only 20 years old and hasn't yet kicked a premiership ball. Baker I like but still needs to improve. Clark can join the bomb squad  as far as I am concerned.,Personally I would like another senior CB - even if only as cover. I don't we are overstocked with talent at CB - especially as in the rough and tumble of the prem, these guys take a few knocks.

I'm not convinced the solution to the defensive problem is as simple as bringing in an experienced CB or, for that matter, that none of our existing CB's are good enough players, individually.  The problem seems more related to team defending and organization.  Last season and from the few highlights I've seen this season, you look at teams coming at us on the break and it just doesn't look like there's an understanding of who needs to be where to prevent a good scoring opportunity.  We constantly look like we're one alert pass or run away from being sliced open.  Obviously, a lot of that is about the back 4 and their individual reading of the game, but a lot of it is about how they're being coached as a unit and a good part of it is about how the midfielders are integrated into the defensive approach.  A new CB won't solve those issues, and I hope to god the coaching staff are working on them.

Vlaar isn't the world-beater we'd hoped for but he's still a pretty good player and his presence did make a big difference when he came back from injury, I think largely because he provided some leadership and organization.  I thought Baker played quite well on balance.  His own goal was more misfortune than glaring mistake in my view.  The only other big mistake I recall was the reckless challenge for a penalty (Suarez?).  I agree with the poster who thinks Lowton is being a bit overrated on here, particularly defensively, but he's still adequate or better.  Clark and Bennett should not start a game unless we only have 11 fit players.  Haven't seen enough of Luna and Okore to judge but can't fathom that Luna wouldn't be a better option than Bennett.  It would be nice to get another defender or two that are a step up from what we've got, but I don't expect it to happen and it shouldn't be necessary if the coaching staff get their act together.

Great post. This my fear to be honest - seem to remember we were caught by short and quick corners a couple of times. Gotta admitt I thought Lambo would be using pre season to drill a defensive back 4 - which doesn't seem to happening.

I'm much happier how we are at CB now than last year, Lowton and Herd can provide emergency cover and we have 4 players for two positions ahead of those 2.

I don't think we need to spend there if we think that Clark and/or Baker are going to turn into decent players. We have further options coming through from the academy too, so buying an old head to play in there for a few years would mean Clark and Baker get less time to develop and the young lads coming through would have to look for football elsewhere.

Also, please don't let Clark become the new hate figure on here. It's pretty annoying how one or two get singled out for pretty exaggerated criticism. With Bannan looking to be on the way out, that leaves Bennet and Clark to take all the shit does it?!?!?

I'm not entirely sure we'll see any new arrivals before the window closes, I'm really happy with how we have gone about our business this summer. We've been quick to go and ang get what we want and we very professional in handling Benteke too. We've made it clear to the bomb squad to go and find new clubs and there is still time for us to get rid of the last dregs of the excesses before the season starts. Which with a good performance from the squad this season will put us in a great position to invest next summer.  

I'm not convinced the solution to the defensive problem is as simple as bringing in an experienced CB or, for that matter, that none of our existing CB's are good enough players, individually.  The problem seems more related to team defending and organization.  Last season and from the few highlights I've seen this season, you look at teams coming at us on the break and it just doesn't look like there's an understanding of who needs to be where to prevent a good scoring opportunity.  We constantly look like we're one alert pass or run away from being sliced open.  Obviously, a lot of that is about the back 4 and their individual reading of the game, but a lot of it is about how they're being coached as a unit and a good part of it is about how the midfielders are integrated into the defensive approach.  A new CB won't solve those issues, and I hope to god the coaching staff are working on them.

Vlaar isn't the world-beater we'd hoped for but he's still a pretty good player and his presence did make a big difference when he came back from injury, I think largely because he provided some leadership and organization.  I thought Baker played quite well on balance.  His own goal was more misfortune than glaring mistake in my view.  The only other big mistake I recall was the reckless challenge for a penalty (Suarez?).  I agree with the poster who thinks Lowton is being a bit overrated on here, particularly defensively, but he's still adequate or better.  Clark and Bennett should not start a game unless we only have 11 fit players.  Haven't seen enough of Luna and Okore to judge but can't fathom that Luna wouldn't be a better option than Bennett.  It would be nice to get another defender or two that are a step up from what we've got, but I don't expect it to happen and it shouldn't be necessary if the coaching staff get their act together.

Great post. This my fear to be honest - seem to remember we were caught by short and quick corners a couple of times. Gotta admitt I thought Lambo would be using pre season to drill a defensive back 4 - which doesn't seem to happening.

That he is playing different line ups in the friendlies doesn't mean much on that score. They could be working on the positioning of the back 4 every day for 4 hours for all we know!

I agree it's less about the personnel and more about the unit. It goes deeper than the 4 at the back though in terms of how you react to a break, the midfield need to be tracking runners better etc. These things take time and the more they play/train together the better they will get. 

Defence is the weakness for sure, as well as creativity from midfield of course. Clark has qualities matched by weaknesses but hopefully will iron those out soon & then he could be a good player. Vlaar is a 7/10 for me & Okore is an unknown at this point. Also Baker reminds me so much of a young Dunne...Old skool with the odd error.

I think the key here is continuity. All the best teams have a settled back four & ours is frankly all over the place. It will take us half the season for them to gel in my opinion.

Pescara link is completely bollocks.

Why do you think that?

I don't know either way but have been following this story since I saw the tweet, think he tweeted this a few hours ago, and a liverpool fan tweeted saying he was on a plane to italy and there were 3 Villa representatives on it. Few others think it's pretty much done.

Edited by villan_007

Marco Capuano's transfer fee is £700k, but it could rise to £1.2million yet, depending on his progression at #avfc.

Yes... probably bollocks...

That idea was started on these very forums from literally guessing young, highly related players that fit with what people think we need, from the Pescara squad?! 

Some idiot has created an ITK account, literally today, to sprout rubbish about it?!

Why do you think that?

I don't know either way but have been following this story since I saw the tweet, think he tweeted this a few hours ago, and a liverpool fan tweeted saying he was on a plane to italy and there were 3 Villa representatives on it. Few others think it's pretty much done.

Yeah im sure these villa reps were wearing training ground tops with name badges as well

ITSOTP :) I hope its true but after the Belhanda bullcrap i refuse to believe anybody saying villa reps are seen going anywhere

Edited by AshVilla

Why do you think that?

I seen the Liverpool fan post that too, at first I thought maybe they were going to have a look a Malaga play in a friendly, but having checked their friendlies none of them are in Italy. Well none in the next few days.

They must have been wearing something with AVFC on for him to know that, even then how would he know they weren't just Villa fans.

Erm, I'll ask him.

Thing is, we already have 4 CBs + Lowton who can also play there, as can Herd (albeit not very well).

True - But Vlaar is only Adequate, Okore, whilst I have high hopes for him - is only 20 years old and hasn't yet kicked a premiership ball. Baker I like but still needs to improve. Clark can join the bomb squad  as far as I am concerned.,Personally I would like another senior CB - even if only as cover. I don't we are overstocked with talent at CB - especially as in the rough and tumble of the prem, these guys take a few knocks.

Yep, I don't care about how many defenders we have, especially when a lot of them aren't good enough. It's about improving our stock at the end of the day.

Marco Capuano's transfer fee is £700k, but it could rise to £1.2million yet, depending on his progression at #avfc.

That idea was started on these very forums from literally guessing young, highly related players that fit with what people think we need, from the Pescara squad?! 

Some idiot has created an ITK account, literally today, to sprout rubbish about it?!

But an account had said we were in Pescara before we started discussing it.

Regarding the defense Lambert made the point from the very start that pre-season is about fitness. The amount of late goals we conceeded last season indicates fitness my be an issue so he is focusing on addressing that.  But as tends to happen when players are being worked hard to improve stamina and endurance injuries are bound to occur.  So I am not surprised we have been conceeding goals and making mistakes defensively as thats what happens when players and heavily fatigued.  You also have to consider the fact that defensively we rely on high intensity pressing style.  If the players are reacting slower and have tired legs this is obviously going to have a negative efect on our pressing.  I honestly believe that we won't know where we are at until the first few games of the season.  Top clubs generally have average results in pre-season because their focus is on fitness rather than results.

On topic, the lack of transfer speculation clearly indicates that outgoings are our focus now. We are finally opperating like a proper club! Get the baulk of the transfer in done early, then focus on shifting deadwood as when clubs know a player is available and ready to be moved on they take their time in order to negotiate the best deal possible.  Pre-season is about getting fitness levels as high as possible. Man U and all their incredible comeback over the year would have happenned without superior fitness levels. Keeping our best players and not taking any shit, standing our ground!

Now is definitely the time for us blast our slogan from the rooftops.

Proud History, Bright Future!

But an account had said we were in Pescara before we started discussing it.

As I tweeted earlier, #avfc officials are meeting with Marco Capuano. Radio Sei just announced the transfer is to be confirmed tomorrow.

Let the bollocks continue!

Edited by Ghost