Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We have four central defenders , two young and not ready for a full season yet, one unproved in the premiership and the other injury prone and hit and miss - i have great hopes for okore but not convinced the other 3 are good enough - Vlaar and okore may work well but Vlaar with baker or Clark doesn't fill me with confidence - maybe we do need a utility defender who can cover central defence.

Shawcross would fit the bill for me , Clark is a defensive midfielder at best - as a centre half , he is not good enough.

Edited by Eastie

And vlaar or okore get injured? Especially vlaar. We need another cb

I know people will go crazy with me on here but i dont think Vlaar is good defensively. Yes he is a likeable guy i agree but maybe we have to start looking beyond that

But who could we get and be better than him ?!

Titus Bramble?

I said it back in January and I said it a few weeks ago on this thread but I will say it again....

Ryan Shawcross.

6'3", 25 years old, lives down the road, prem experience, currently on 30k, nuff said.

On football manager I'd agree, but this is real life man. We already got 4 central defenders anyway. Stoke would want well over £10 million and he would want double the £30k you say he on which I don't believe as I reckon he be on more then that. He would go to a bigger club then villa also.

How many of those Central Defenders are any good though ? - The most highly rated one - is the one most of us haven't seen play. Clark is a downright liability, and on current form shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11, Baker and Vlaar are adequate  - no more than that.

I certainly think the arguement for another senior CB is growing - we could do  a lot worse than Shawcross, But realistically its not going to happen.

I don't think Vlaar or Baker or adequate based on last season's showing.  Baker is promising and needs to improve his concentration, but should be fine.  Vlaar doesn't impress me at all.

"Paul and Randy have been great - they really have," added Lambert. "With the Christian thing and the lads we've brought in.

"They've backed it all the way. It's a matter of us trying to get the right personnel and once it starts for real that's the time to start to judge us.

"The new lads that have come in still need a bit of time to settle. But that's why we've done it as early as we did to give them that feeling of what the British game's like. These lads are going to give it a right go.

"We've got everybody in which is good. It's just a matter of getting them altogether and getting them playing the way you want."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8838041/aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-challenges-christian-benteke-to-repeat-feats

looks like we might be done for the summer

We need another CB.

One who doesnt make us shit our pants every time a ball comes into our box

All our CBs are very similar IMO (not including okore who I haven't seen yet)

Great heart and determination, will put their head on the line but completely average in ability and have no footballing brain

This leads to 2 or 3 games a season where they play a stormer coz every aggressive header or tackle they make comes off

But unfortunately it also means the other 35 are spent making ridiculous decisions, hurried clearances and poor positioning

We desperately need a CB in the Laursen mould.a reliable performer who's worse mistake is a mistimed tackle or slightly weak header, not another own goal

We will create chances, we did last year, if we have another 10m to spend on an AM, spend it on a CB

"Paul and Randy have been great - they really have," added Lambert. "With the Christian thing and the lads we've brought in.

"They've backed it all the way. It's a matter of us trying to get the right personnel and once it starts for real that's the time to start to judge us.

"The new lads that have come in still need a bit of time to settle. But that's why we've done it as early as we did to give them that feeling of what the British game's like. These lads are going to give it a right go.

"We've got everybody in which is good. It's just a matter of getting them altogether and getting them playing the way you want."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8838041/aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-challenges-christian-benteke-to-repeat-feats

So why aren't they playing together in pre season ?  [i know okore is injured - but other than that we could field our best defence]

I wouldn't call financing £8m on low wage  players 'Being Backed all the way'  either.

I think Shawcross would be a fantastic signing for us (not that I think it will happen though).

I like Vlaar but from what we have seen since he arrived is that he isn't up to the job. If PL doesn't buy another CH then I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few months we see Baker/Okore develop into the best central partnership we have and that's without me really seeing much of Okore playing. 

I had high hopes for Clark but he is very poor playing as a CH, I hoped that when he resigned Lambert had decided to give him a run the midfield but it doesn't look like this is the case. I honestly fear he will become the next Barry Bannan and end up being ridiculed by Villans which would be sad to see.

I'm not concerned about results in pre-season as it really is about players getting match fit. I doubt very much if the coaching team said to any of the players that we want to see you run yourself into the ground, probably instructed to take it easy.

I'm more worried about the amount of goals we con-seeded last season and I'm not sure if PL has done enough to correct this yet. The signing of Okore will hopefully be a good signing but he is still very young, Tony Moon could go either way although surely he can't be as defensively naive as Bennett. Lowton was for me just average last season, apart from is wonderful goal against Stoke! I didn't see anything about his defending that made feel confidence in him. And it's this that is keeping me awake at night worrying, hopefully PL has brought wisely and by September I will be able to sleep soundly  :blink:

Edited by SeanO

I will not believe that our summer transfer budget has been spent. If Lambert has been given 8m-12m to spend then the board need to be lined up in the centre circle and shot.

If we sell Bent then our net expenditure has been next to nothing. 

Edited by Morpheus

People lets not panic just yet its pre season games we're probably playing at 60% tops he's told the players to treat it as a training match, whats the point in going hell leather in a friendly running thr risk of players getting injured for start of the season.  Look at Italy they always look awful in friendlies during the run up to World Cups/Euro's and then end up finishing semi's or finals most of time.

• Like 2

Shawcross is thoroughly imbedded at Stoke, their fans consider him one of the club's all time greats already - he wouldn't leave them to come to us. Would be like Gabby going the other way i reckon - will never happen.

Shawcross is thoroughly imbedded at Stoke, their fans consider him one of the club's all time greats already - he wouldn't leave them to come to us. Would be like Gabby going the other way i reckon - will never happen.

I think he would leave stoke for villa , but I doubt we would pay the asking fee - although he would be a decent signing i can't really see it happening - i believe we could do with another defender with premier experience but i don't expect lambert to sign one.

I think he will go with the current 4 which is worrying.

I think if we get rid of the Bomb Squad more players will come in.At moment though hard to tell where we are at as so many injuries and with CB only just back we haven't played whats likely to be the first 11 in preseason.

Defence does look a worry though and if we are not going to play with Wingers we could do with an AM.