Companies you've boycotted

Pongotastic

It's not really down to design. Apple & Samsung own the smartphone market. The reason is marketing. Apple were the first to market with the iPhone and way ahead of everyone for the first 4 years, so their position is understandable. While Samsung have spent utterly absurd amounts on marketing.

Also brand loyalty is absurdly high in the mobile phone market. The Economist quoted the figure of 84%

The smartphone is becoming the most important device. Over here it's fast becoming the main internet device replacing the laptop or pc. While in the developing world it's the only internet device many people have. So it's importance is huge. The internet is now mobile.

Edited by CVByrne

I've boycotted Dairylea since 1997 for my own personal reasons.

From today, I am boycotting Kentucky Fried Chicken, just in case it offends certain love cheat United States golfers.

What a load of old cack.

Instead, I shall be buying only Bernard Mathews turkey fayre.

What's up with iPad's not being able to play flash-video (unless you pay for a separate browser)? Surely the only reason to buy an ipad is so you can sit outside in the sun and watch eurosport on a flash-stream.

I haven't boycotted any company. I don't like McDonald's or Burger King or any of that kind of food so never eat there. I dislike my current bank and will be leaving and never going back to them. That's about as close as I can come to a Boycott.

Apple have an amazing knack of being able to get their customers/slaves to buy the same product over and over again in a slightly different size.

do you still watch TV on a set with a rabbit ear ariel and a dial to tune the channels ?

He is right though. I'm a neutral in this. I own an iPod and an android phone. But apple do seem able to hawk almost identical products that ain't cheap, at an insatiably loyal market that has an infinite amount of spending money.

It is changing though, isn't it? They are slowly losing market share.

FWIW I think the iPod is a great product. (now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure my iPod will turn faulty in the next few days)

Edited by legov

They are and they're trying to stifle that loss through lawsuits which they're beginning to lose too. Which is nice.
  • Like 1

They are and they're trying to stifle that loss through lawsuits which they're beginning to lose too. Which is nice.

My point is that their strategy of "hawk almost identical products that ain't cheap, at an insatiably loyal market that has an infinite amount of spending money" doesn't seem to be working anymore, at least not as well.

My point is that their strategy of "hawk almost identical products that ain't cheap, at an insatiably loyal market that has an infinite amount of spending money" doesn't seem to be working anymore, at least not as well.

Yeah we agree. My point was that rather than Apple then trying to improve their products, they're instead targetting the companies that are eating into their market share through the courts by trying to show that they're being plagiarised.

What annoyed me as an Apple customer was being unable to get my music from my ipod on to a new laptop. I won't be buying an ipod again (sorted the music problem but it seems an unnecessary step).

I actually miss iTunes.

I still think as purely a program to manage my music it was as good as I've tried.

Haven't found anything since I got my S3 that matches up. Using Windows media Player which is good enough, but still.

Anyway, that's off topic, sorry.

Apples success has been in creating new products and a new market. The iPod, iPhone and iPad when they were launched were years ahead of the competition. Those 3 products have been the driver of Apples growth.

But when they go head to head on a level playing field, like they did with Microsoft & Intel in the 90s they are in trouble. But that was then and this is now. They have a massive user base and have inbuild an ecosystem "lock in" which makes it hard for many owners of many Apple products to leave. 

There is also plenty of space for new product lines and revenue streams like an iWatch and Apple TV, a budget iPhone. They may lose market share in the mobile space to Android, but they knew this was likely inevitable. 

They are a long way from being in trouble, they still make very good devices and sell shitloads of them. But the worry is say 5 years time when the innovation well is dry. 

Foobar is your answer. Monitors your library so any changes are updated instantly and it uses almost no process power.

Cheers for the tip, I'll check it out

What annoyed me as an Apple customer was being unable to get my music from my ipod on to a new laptop. I won't be buying an ipod again (sorted the music problem but it seems an unnecessary step).

This was the initial reason I got a Creative Zen over an iPod back in the day. I had no interest in having my music locked into iTunes management process. Sony had a similar system, yet Creative let me connect my Zen as a removable hard disk and story anything I wanted on it. It also let me do the Sync thing with Media Player. 

From then on Apple made desirable phone with the iPhone 3GS but I again couldn't live with the Lock in they require and iTunes. So I didn't buy it, got an Android phone the following year (the wrong one an X10 instead of the Desire). I've been on Android ever since. 

Nah I'm not into Spotify.

It's fine for what it is, but I want music I can put onto my phone, and not have to rely on the internet to listen to it.

This is the absolute worst thing about iTunes for sure. Incredibly annoying.

Edited by Stevo985

Â