Companies you've boycotted

Pongotastic

I understand why people would disagree with Apple because of their business practices and their so-called illusion of superiority, but I can't for one second believe that I have been 'sold a myth'. In my opinion, I have a Mac because it is the best laptop in that price range. It has the simplicity and elegance whilst packing the power as well. The same with my iPad, I genuinely believe it is the best tablet product on the market. 

Apple are great at what they do, their products are fantastic. I think people just slate them because they have become 'too successful', dare I say. 10 years ago people preferred Macs as they were a breath of fresh air away from Windows. Now Apple Macs are more popular, they are viewed the same as Windows, and people enjoy slating them.  

Apple are more popular than Windows?  You've been sold and absorbed the myth.

screen-shot-2013-03-01-at-09-22-52-620x4

Try to list things an Apple device can do that much cheaper alternatives can't.

I mean now Apple are more popular than they were in the past, not that they are more popular than Windows.

Statistics can be bent to whichever way you want. People using Windows XP (that does include me, it's the most stable OS I've used apart from Debian) don't generate money for Microsoft - it's about to be totally unsupported. People buying a iphone 5 do make money for Apple...lots of it. Granted that Windows 7 OEM licensing will be making cash however.

The company that dictates the way the markets will move forward in the near future is the one that has the most moolah floating about, n'est pas?

chart-of-the-day-apple-vs-microsoft-mark

Edited by islingtonclaret

KFC only the one opposite my house. Closed the restaurant as I walked up to door. Then refused to serve me at drive throu window.

A Burger King in Atlanta called the police when me and my mate attempted to get a 2am burger whilst rather drunk and doing our best play school impression of a man driving an invisible car

They should go on the list for that , but the bacon double cheeseburger is just to damn tasty IMO

I called a taxi and when it came I stood next to it and ordered throu the speaker thing, walked up to the window and when he asked for the money I called him a word removed and paid the taxi then walked home without getting my food. Got car and drove to McDonald's

Most of these are just daft, unless you fully research all the companies certain individuals/companies are involved with your bound to end up not boycotting them without even knowing.

I say I'm going to boycott Murdoch, then watch a film with a one minute scene which was filmed at a 20th century fox film lot, they just didn't tell you till the final reel of credits.

So unless your going to research ever aspect of your life a 100% your just a hypocrite.

Apple - I'm pretty sure 3rd gen iPods were programmed to stop working after 6 months, happened to everyone I knew who had one. Haven't bought any Apple products since.

McDonald's - Haven't eaten one for nearly 10 years, main reason was because their food tastes like shit. Although having not eaten one in ten years I sometimes think maybe the standard of food there must have improved by now, but I have no desire to find out.

Starbucks - I want a coffee not a **** milkshake. And besides the places are usually full of idiots.

For fear of turning this into a Pro/Anti Apple thread I too must jump on the bandwagon of Hate!

Other than their business practice (probably not that much worse than many other businesses) I hate hype. Apple have cornered the market selling white plastic crap at inflated prices to people who like to be told what to do. Compare an ipad with an Android tablet and the gulf in personalisation is huge. Android is open to all, Apple tells you what you want and charges for it.

Worse still is the fanboys who queue for exactly the same phone except it now has a 5 after its name! There was an American comedian who went round showing the old version saying it was the new one and everyone was gushing over it! Hilarious brainwashing! People who tell me their iPhone is the be all and end all I try and compare with my Android phone... Mine always does everything theirs does and more and for a fraction of the cost. The look on their faces as the curtain covering the wizard is torn away is priceless - although Apple would probably try to patent it! Fortunately I think the public is slowly becoming wise to it.

Back on thread, I also avoid Fiat, Kwikfit, HP and Barclays for a mixture of them being useless. Oh, and Dunelm purely because its the most boring shop in the world!!

Personally I couldn't give a toss about the Apple fanboys, their marketing etc. All I know is I spent 10 years tearing my hair out using crappy unreliable crash-tastic PC-based recording studios before switching to an iMac which has given me zero problems in 5 years. For that reason alone, I'll always have time for Apple.

Microsoft on the other hand... aaarrrggghhh.

I don't buy Apple products because they are overpriced shite. I have a work iPhone which reinforces this belief.

Years ago I treated myself to an Ipod touch to take on holiday to Jamaica... spent bloody hours backing up all my music and files, set all the album covers and all that stuff. Then first time I turned it on in the hotel it had the 'connect to iTunes screen' and I could not for the life of me do anything with it.

Got home, wiped it, sold it. Not buying anything from them again.

I also don't ever buy any of the "red tops".

• Like 1

Apple - I'm pretty sure 3rd gen iPods were programmed to stop working after 6 months, happened to everyone I knew who had one. Haven't bought any Apple products since.

Brilliant :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just remembered one. I said I would stop drinking Tetleys' bitter if they stopped brewing it in Leeds. They did, and I did.

do you still drink their tea though ?

Just had a look at the illusion of choice graphic to see if; despite my boycott of Nestlé; I am inadvertently still supporting them. I'm not doing too badly actually but it turns out I do still 'support' one of their companies. They own the Diesel clothing line via owning 30% of L'Oréal. We'll have to address that.

I just remembered one. I said I would stop drinking Tetleys' bitter if they stopped brewing it in Leeds. They did, and I did.

do you still drink their tea though ?

Well I'm sure you know it's a different company, but no, I don't. I drink Thompsons/Punjana.

Â