Companies you've boycotted

Pongotastic

Had always been in the rabidly anti-Murdoch camp until the gf subscribed to sky sports for my birthday. I tried gently to explain to her my reasoning but it fast descended into another one of those tearful "why can't you just like the things I buy you" meltdowns. I now dutifully watch all the Sunday games, secretly cursing the gf for giving Murdoch her money.

On that 4th Apple point, they actually went a little further than simply putting up a snide comment about the verdict and how great they are. They (rightly) got slapped on the wrist for that and told to place a specifically worded apology on their homepage. Which they did. But only after specifically altering their homepage layout to hide the apology by requiring the user to scroll down to see it, which nobody would do.

They're a spectacularly unlikeable company.

• Like 1

Sky and anything to do with Murdoch,

Santander, worst experience Ever banking with them, online banking system wasn't fit for purpose and spent far too much time on help lines because of this, will never no deposit money or have any sort of account with them ever.

BT, unfortunately currently very difficult due to them being the only landline provider, so currently insist on using intermediate providerd (yes I know i Bt get most the money but at least I'm not a direct customer. I live for the day i can finally rid this profiteering shit bag of a company from my life.

Apple, for so many reasons already given by others

Halfords (autocentres), bad experiences of there shady if legal way of doing business.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

Can't understand why people boycott Apple, my life would be considerably worse without their products.

As for me, soccer sport/ soccer world/ sports direct or whatever it is called now. Used to hate JJB too but now they have closed down I am glad. 

No it wouldn't, you're just another one who's been sold the myth. For every Apple product, there's a superior product in every way.

There are many reasons why I despise the snake oil venders but I'll try and list them.

1. They boycotted Linux as it was a threat to their Mac OS desktop share. Therefore, they boycotted me.

2. Steve Jobs was a charismatic salesman. Not a genius or anything approaching it. Some things he was right on, some things he was wrong on, like everyone else. For every product he made out to be something special, someone had already done it before, or it was so obvious that only idiots thought it was something new.

3. Their continued reality distortion field. They actually believe that anyone who produces a rectangular phone or tablet is infringing on their design trademarks because they think everyone else is so stupid that they wouldn't think of that. The actual original iPhone design was floating around between company's design departments for a while before Apple brought it out, it was the next evolutionary step and touch screen smartphones were already out there with more functionality. Yet they still have the gall to sue anyone and everyone, hurting the consumer by blocking imports of devices that have nothing to do with them, because someone else also thinks that it's a good idea to have a green icon for making a call and a red icon for hanging up.

4. There's lots and lots of the above going on, they're suing anyone they can for completely frivolous stuff, because some short-sighted people buy into their rubbish. Mostly it's only USA where they win because they still have a majority of opinion there, being the original American new tech company. When they brought the fight over here, a British judge told them where to go and made them put an apology to Samsung on their web site. Even then they thought they were above British law and made the apology into some snide remark about how other people thought they had a case but the British didn't. There's plenty of info into their abuse of the trademarks and patents systems if you search for it.

5. Finally, more a reason why I would never have anything Apple is because it's akin to Burberry now. The only people still using them are doing so without realising that many other people are laughing at them for being so out of touch, while they think they're cool. If you use or have Apple devices in the tech community, then it's automatically a big sign over your head that you don't really know what you're talking about and no-one should take you seriously because you prefer aluminium over function.

They're a nasty deluded company who embody everything that's wrong with capitalism and corporate America, and everything that's wrong with human ignorance with cognitive dissonance.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest everyone that has an iPad is some form of retard incapable of thought , there may be an element of hype around the iPad etc but they are still decent products ...I would openly laugh at those people that queue up overnight in the street to get the "first" I-whatever but other than that I can't agree with you

• Like 1

Can I ask all the Murdoch boycotters if they ever watch ITV a company that Murdoch owns 7.5% in ( used to be 17 % I believe)

Or is their boycott only reserved to companies he owns outright ?

Can't understand why people boycott Apple, my life would be considerably worse without their products.

As for me, soccer sport/ soccer world/ sports direct or whatever it is called now. Used to hate JJB too but now they have closed down I am glad. 

No it wouldn't, you're just another one who's been sold the myth. For every Apple product, there's a superior product in every way.

There are many reasons why I despise the snake oil venders but I'll try and list them.

1. They boycotted Linux as it was a threat to their Mac OS desktop share. Therefore, they boycotted me.

2. Steve Jobs was a charismatic salesman. Not a genius or anything approaching it. Some things he was right on, some things he was wrong on, like everyone else. For every product he made out to be something special, someone had already done it before, or it was so obvious that only idiots thought it was something new.

3. Their continued reality distortion field. They actually believe that anyone who produces a rectangular phone or tablet is infringing on their design trademarks because they think everyone else is so stupid that they wouldn't think of that. The actual original iPhone design was floating around between company's design departments for a while before Apple brought it out, it was the next evolutionary step and touch screen smartphones were already out there with more functionality. Yet they still have the gall to sue anyone and everyone, hurting the consumer by blocking imports of devices that have nothing to do with them, because someone else also thinks that it's a good idea to have a green icon for making a call and a red icon for hanging up.

4. There's lots and lots of the above going on, they're suing anyone they can for completely frivolous stuff, because some short-sighted people buy into their rubbish. Mostly it's only USA where they win because they still have a majority of opinion there, being the original American new tech company. When they brought the fight over here, a British judge told them where to go and made them put an apology to Samsung on their web site. Even then they thought they were above British law and made the apology into some snide remark about how other people thought they had a case but the British didn't. There's plenty of info into their abuse of the trademarks and patents systems if you search for it.

5. Finally, more a reason why I would never have anything Apple is because it's akin to Burberry now. The only people still using them are doing so without realising that many other people are laughing at them for being so out of touch, while they think they're cool. If you use or have Apple devices in the tech community, then it's automatically a big sign over your head that you don't really know what you're talking about and no-one should take you seriously because you prefer aluminium over function.

They're a nasty deluded company who embody everything that's wrong with capitalism and corporate America, and everything that's wrong with human ignorance with cognitive dissonance.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest everyone that has an iPad is some form of retard incapable of thought , there may be an element of hype around the iPad etc but they are still decent products ...I would openly laugh at those people that queue up overnight in the street to get the "first" I-whatever but other than that I can't agree with you

Perhaps so. I know lots of friends with iPads and I wouldn't class them a retards incapable of thought, but I would class a lot of the ignorant 'iPad this, iPad that' people less capable of independent thought.

Apologies if I've offended anyone.

• Like 1

Can I ask all the Murdoch boycotters if they ever watch ITV a company that Murdoch owns 7.5% in ( used to be 17 % I believe)

Or is their boycott only reserved to companies he owns outright ?

Can't remember the last time they had anything worth watching on itv so I'm gonna say no ;)

• Like 1

O2 tried to charge me loads

KFC only the one opposite my house. Closed the restaurant as I walked up to door. Then refused to serve me at drive throu window.

Commercial services Birmingham. A van dealer in erdington that scammed me and I am taking to court

I must admit, as far as Apple products go, i wouldn't buy a Mac cos my steam powered Dell laptop does for me, Ipads are out because, well, why would I need one? Similar with Iphones, I'm not 14 and I don't need entertaining 24/7. But, give me an Ipod any day of the week, I bloody love mine.

I have a Mac for graphics/sound editing - when a machine has two graphics cards built in on the go it really makes a difference. I was also brought up a Mac-boy, and back in the day was a proper bore when it came to the "underdog" Apple against the "evil" Bill Gates.

These days I don't admire Steve Jobs, I don't like Apple and can't stand their business practices but still the power they pack is well worth the price.

Apart from work, all other things I do in my life are carried out with Ubuntu Linux. The open source community is powered by millions of users and companies (just look at Oracle - they know how to balance open source development by pumping money back into the system whilst charging premium prices for their commercial products) but oddly enough they can seem to get Apple and Microsoft to contribute anything of worth. Sadly, Apple's MacOS X has managed to take about as much as it can out of open source by mixing the NeXTstep platform with as much Linux and Unixlike code as you can get.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, just thought I'd chuck out some thoughts.

Â